Fitting STI V7 headlights to WRX V7

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 10:42 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fitting STI V7 headlights to WRX V7

Hi all,

I have just got a set of STI V7 headlights for my MY02 WRX and need advice on fitting them due to the different wiring looms. Can anyone help me and confirm any of the following:

1). Do I need to purchase an actual different connection lead; seen a thread on this and they are available from Canada for $75. Can you buy them in the UK?

2). Can you adapt the wires DIY style by chopping off the connectors and connecting the wires directly?

3). If you can do point 2 are there any wiring diagrams or guides?

4). Whats the score with the levelling failing the MOT, do they fail, if so why and can I get around this easily or is it again a further connection lead and switch? Again, any further advice on this would be appreciated.

Sorry for the million questions but I am a bit stuck and need to get the lights on asap as I don't have any others and can't drive when it's dark

Thanks for any help
Old 07 January 2009, 05:27 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you aren't going to strip them off when you sell it, just cut and solder !

I asked this a couple of weeks back, and I forget who, posted a diagram.

HTH

dunx
Old 08 January 2009, 08:34 AM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Thanks dunx,
When you say solder, can I not just use electrical connectors or do the joints actually need soldering? If you remember who posted the diagram please let me know. Thanks mate
Old 09 January 2009, 06:40 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ricco

Try this for starters- https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...g-eye-wrx.html

I didn't do the levelling as it is quite involved and needs a fair bit of stuff. You'd need the plugs for the lights as they are different to the standard WRX ones, you need to build a 6 wire loom as the WRX one is 4-wire and you need a new levelling switch to convert from 4 to 6 contacts, apparently nissan almera switches work. My car has pass it's MOT without the levellers.

I can make a loom (cost less than a tenner for the last guy who I did one for) but depending upon whether you have UK or JDM spec lights depends on whether I need bits from you or whether you need to crimp the final bits, although as Dunx says, you can just hardwire it together - cut & solder or cut & crimp.

Depending where you are, I'm quite happy to lend a hand.

Jon
Old 10 January 2009, 12:54 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info, I have had a look at the diagram but can't make it out. Would you be so kind as to send it to my e-mail address steve@sbirch.wanadoo.co.uk.

As an update, I took the car to my mate which is a Subaru mechanic and he has confirmed the lights are a set of genuine subaru japan spec HID's. The inner plastic is chrome rather than black which I am lead to believe also points at being japanese spec and that UK spec STI's only had HID's fitted from 'hawk eye' models onward.

That aside he also confirmed that I was missing the power packs which supply the 12V feed to the HID's. WRX's were apparently not fitted with these due to being halogen H4's not HID's.

I am now in a position where I have no power packs and am chasing the guy I bought them from. What I need to know is whether there is any other way of getting the HID dip beam working without these mentioned power packs?

How long do you think it might take you to make a loom for me based on the above? I live near Bristol, what about you?

Thanks for your advice and offer of help, most kind.
Old 10 January 2009, 01:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Cheers JonMc !

dunx
Old 10 January 2009, 02:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'll dig it out and email to you soon. You do need the power packs, I got some off a nissan 350z after being in extactly the same position as yourself. My seller went halfway on the costs and I did the wiring myself (Being an ex-aircraft electrician helps). You may be able to use other ballasts but I wouldn't like to guarantee anything.

To make the loom is not long, I have a half made one in the garage from a job I was doing before Christmas (the guy ordered the ones from Canada and they eventually turned up after 2 months), depends upon you getting the power packs and whether or not you want me to wire those bits in, or whether you can do that yourself in slow time. All I ask that anything I am out of pocket is covered which is about £6.50 plus postage. All the cables and general plugs I have but I paid for the H4 and high beam plugs.

I can't get the correct high beam plugs, but the ones I can get I can easily modify and they on the last loom I did, remaining water tight and keeping their polarity correct etc. Contact a guy called Stalked! on here if you want and feedback regarding my work as I made a set for him recently.

I'm in North London, so Bristol is about 2 hrs away. If you want to come across feel free, but without the ballast the HiDs cannot be made to work. Just like strip lights in the kitchen, they need something to provide the HV kick-start.
Old 10 January 2009, 11:16 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Good news, I have the power packs on the way and should be with me by mid next week. Am I correct in thinking that these power packs are referred to also as ballasts???

I feel reasonably confident in wiring the power packs in as long as I have a diagram to go by. Is it the case they connect to the white triangle connector off the light to a live feed from battery?

I am more than happy to cover your costs, if you send me an e-mail to steve@sbirch.wanadoo.co.uk. and arrange a total cost including delivery - paypal ok? Do you think you can get the loom to me by next weekend?

With regards to the loom you make up can you confirm whether the connections you put together will match as per my light set up as follows:

Power pack connection white triangle connection, orange shroud around three thin cable: grey/orange/l.brown - Not needed: Supplied by others

3 pin indicator & side light connection - STI & WRX same, not needed & works

6 pin level adjuster - Gonna risk it being ok for passing MOT, but if it comes with the loom you make up then great I have got it just in case needed

2 pin full beam HB3 bulb connector - Needed for sure, happy with a modified version

If I have your loom, get the power packs and work off your diagram, do you think it will be easy enough to do if I don't worry about the leveller for now? Do you know if the two feeds for the power units go directly back to the battery on a +/- and where do the HB3 connections join in?

Do you have any pics of your wired up lights as a guide at all?

Thanks for all your advise Jon, tell your wife she should let you get the spoiler, splitters and sideskirts just for helping me out and that the cash you get will obviously go towards it, lol
Old 10 January 2009, 11:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ricco60
Hi Jon,

Good news, I have the power packs on the way and should be with me by mid next week. Am I correct in thinking that these power packs are referred to also as ballasts???

I feel reasonably confident in wiring the power packs in as long as I have a diagram to go by. Is it the case they connect to the white triangle connector off the light to a live feed from battery?

I am more than happy to cover your costs, if you send me an e-mail to steve@sbirch.wanadoo.co.uk. and arrange a total cost including delivery - paypal ok? Do you think you can get the loom to me by next weekend?

With regards to the loom you make up can you confirm whether the connections you put together will match as per my light set up as follows:

Power pack connection white triangle connection, orange shroud around three thin cable: grey/orange/l.brown - Not needed: Supplied by others

3 pin indicator & side light connection - STI & WRX same, not needed & works

6 pin level adjuster - Gonna risk it being ok for passing MOT, but if it comes with the loom you make up then great I have got it just in case needed

2 pin full beam HB3 bulb connector - Needed for sure, happy with a modified version

If I have your loom, get the power packs and work off your diagram, do you think it will be easy enough to do if I don't worry about the leveller for now? Do you know if the two feeds for the power units go directly back to the battery on a +/- and where do the HB3 connections join in?

Do you have any pics of your wired up lights as a guide at all?

Thanks for all your advise Jon, tell your wife she should let you get the spoiler, splitters and sideskirts just for helping me out and that the cash you get will obviously go towards it, lol
Try here for some pics.
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ti-lights.html

I can print some bits off to come with the looms to help you wire it together.

In answer to your questions -

I have the male 3 pin (H4) connector that plugs straight into your existing headlight plug. From that I have a HB4 connector which has slightly different cutouts to the HB3, so I modify the cutout and they work fine. Yes, the power pack is the ballast. It has two plug sockets. One has a wire that goes to the headlight which is the orange, brown and white wire you have. The other plug connects to the loom - you need to get the wire from this and connect this to the loom I will send so you have the right connector on it. I will provide the wiring diagram albeit hand drawn, this is only two wire though so not difficult.

With my loom it is really easy, you plug one end into the H4 socket that connects to your existing headlight, the other end into the new lights/ballasts ( you'll need to put in a total of 4 in-line crimps which I will supply - you'll just need to crimp the ballast plugs on).

It will look similar to this...

Obviously x2.

You won't need to touch any battery connections or create any new wiring.

I haven't made the leveller, and I haven't needed to, passed the MOT fine without and I never load the car up enough to worry about it.

Also, you'll need to find somewhere for the ballasts, mine aren't Subaru ones and I fabricated my own brackets. I don't know where the standard ones fit.

Paypal is fine, including recorded delivery I would call it a round tenner. If you're happy, and I can get them made up tomorrow and in the post next week.
Old 12 January 2009, 09:42 AM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,
Again thanks for all your info and guidance. I shall forward a tenner via paypal if you could get all this out to me this week I would be more than happy . I will need your e-mail address for the paypal payment though. If you have already e-mailed me directly I will have it anyway. At work at the moment so may not be able to check private mails until I get home but I'll try anyway. Thanks Jon
Old 12 January 2009, 09:58 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Hi Jon,
Again thanks for all your info and guidance. I shall forward a tenner via paypal if you could get all this out to me this week I would be more than happy . I will need your e-mail address for the paypal payment though. If you have already e-mailed me directly I will have it anyway. At work at the moment so may not be able to check private mails until I get home but I'll try anyway. Thanks Jon
You'll have my paypal address at home. I made the looms up yesterday and I will include a wiring diagram. The wires have crimps in the end for you to use, but if you do not a crimping tool all you need to do is cut them off and solder the wire instead, (or use choc block if you don't have a soldering iron).

You will have them by the weekend unless Royal Mail screw up
Old 12 January 2009, 10:27 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Update

Hi Jon,
I have sent you £10 via paypal as agreed. I shall digest all the info and check out the power packs when I get them tomorrow - fingers crossed should all go well . I'll let you know when I get the loom and how I get on. Thanks for all your help mate,I wouldn't have been able to sort it otherwise!
Old 12 January 2009, 10:32 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Hi Jon,
I have sent you £10 via paypal as agreed. I shall digest all the info and check out the power packs when I get them tomorrow - fingers crossed should all go well . I'll let you know when I get the loom and how I get on. Thanks for all your help mate,I wouldn't have been able to sort it otherwise!
Got it mate, check your PMs as there's no address details with the payment
Old 12 January 2009, 10:53 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Default Address

Hi Jon,

Yeah, an address would probably be quite useful

I have sent you another PM to confirm details.

Thanks for the prompt mate, would forget my head if it was weren't bolted on.

Last edited by ricco60; 12 January 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 13 January 2009, 08:45 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Hi Jon,

Yeah, an address would probably be quite useful

I have sent you another PM to confirm details.

Thanks for the prompt mate, would forget my head if it was weren't bolted on.

My boss is away today, so I'll crack on with the fitting guide
Old 13 January 2009, 02:49 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Nice one Jon.
Old 13 January 2009, 03:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Nice one Jon.
It's done. I'll email it to you when I get home tonight
Old 15 January 2009, 11:01 AM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Received the info and just await the loom and power packs. I'll let you know how I get on!!! Thanks mate
Old 16 January 2009, 07:49 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Default Update

Hi Jon,

Received the loom today and looks spot on mate.

Still waiting for the power packs and am not happy as this means I have another week of using the wife's car, which I'm getting it in the neck for!

Will let you know how I get on once they finally get here and once again Jon your a trooper and I thank you for all your help and assistance
Old 16 January 2009, 07:51 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Still waiting for the power packs and am not happy as this means I have another week of using the wife's car, which I'm getting it in the neck for!

Will let you know how I get on once they finally get here and once again Jon your a trooper and I thank you for all your help and assistance [/ricco60 needs to see the light and get an MOT]
Old 16 January 2009, 07:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Glad they got there safe. Like I said, any drama's when you're fitting them drop me a line and I'll do what I can to help you out.
Old 16 January 2009, 07:52 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Will let you know how I get on once they finally get here and once again Jon your a trooper and I thank you for all your help and assistance
Old 21 January 2009, 08:54 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Default Further Issues

Hi Jon,

I have been informed that the power packs are actually in the light housing and that the item I am after is called the ballast!

That aside, can you tell me what the ballast actually does? I mean can I bypass this and just connect the black wire and red wire from your loom, which have the crimp ends, and connect onto the brown wire and orange wire from the headlight ballast wire (orange shroud 3 wire) which goes to the internal power pack? Of course, the remaining black wire from the headlight ballast wire would be grounded.

From my limited knowledge, I would assume that the circuit for the HID and full beam do not need to be switched due to the HID being on when the full beam is on or is this what the ballast does?

I get there one day this year...I hope
Old 21 January 2009, 09:08 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

The ballasts are essential, you need one for each light. Without it the lights won't work. From what I recall, there is a screened cable inside the light, but I don't recall there being a power pack as such. If the seller is fobbing you off regarding needing the ballasts take issue with it, they are essential, and they should have been supplied with the lights.

I've had a quick scan through the universal replacement ones on fleabay, they are cheap enough, but they seem a little complex on the wiring with the plugs that are there. They seem to be aimed at the various HiD upgrade kits which indicated to me that they are not too reliable if there is such a market for spares - call me cynical.

You might be able to get them from somewhere like Grade-A or another subaru breakers. If you can get hold of some from another make of car, complete with the plugs and a length of wire I could connect them to the loom I have already made but I would need the lights, ballasts and loom.
Old 21 January 2009, 09:30 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the rapid reply.

Its becoming a long story with these ballasts/power packs etc but I shall try and keep it brief.

The Co. I bought the lights from were sending me the ballasts but have sent them to the wrong person, waiting to see what happens there. So, I then went to a Scooby breakers today and they had a broken JDM HID headlight which they showed me. The orange shroud wire goes into the light housing and connects to a black box and then this has a cable which then connects to the back of the HID bulb plug. They told me that the black box was the power pack as the JDM STI lights had them fitted internally...?

I shall ring them again tomorrow and see whether they got the ballasts!

If the black box inside the light is a power pack then I am struggling to see what the ballast does or vice versa. If I were to connect your loom wires direct to the orange shroud wires (triangle plug) as mentioned before woukd this not provide a neg/pos feed to HID and neg/pos feed to full beam or am I liable to screw the lights?
Old 21 January 2009, 09:50 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Having never seen the inside I can't really comment on the contents. As far as damaging the lights, I don't think you will because you won't be able to generate the required voltage to ignite the gas, but I cannot make any guarantees.

The ballast coverts the 12v input into a higher voltage output in the form of a spark as required by the lights initally to ignite the xenon gas in the bulb and then it maintains a steady power supply to ensure that the light doesn't flicker. Whilst they offer better lighting, they are require a more stable power supply than halogen bulbs because rather than just mainting a current through an element to heat a resistive wire, it is ionising xenon gas to provide the light by controlling the current, and this is the job of the ballast.
Old 21 January 2009, 10:02 PM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

At least I now know what the ballasts are for, nice one Jon your knowledge is far superior

I shall let you know how I get on with the breakers and finger crossed I can get them working over the weekend!

Thanks mate