Notices

Alternator help

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2009, 11:04 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Alternator help

Not on my Impreza but thought someone may be able to help...

On my almera smoker, 1.5, 2001.

Car had been standing for a couple of months (and was fine when left) Went to start it (expected flat batt but wasn't) fired straight up. Drove it for a couple of miles and had it idling on my drive. After a while (with the lights on) it just died, then it wouldn't restart. I presumed the battery had died so I swapped it with a new one.. same thing happened.

I got my alternator checker out and it showed no charge at all from alternator! As I say the charging was fine the last time it was used. I had a check of some wiring and unplugged plug on alternator and plugged back in etc, started car and it was charging now, giving good strong output from alternator.

Took the car for a drive earlier, stopped and went to shop.. when I came to go it wouldn't start.. dead battery! Went and got my other battery and put it on and brought alt checker with me, no bleedin charging output from alternator again!

I'm not getting any lights on dash for no charge either!

Can an alternator just die like this? When I've had them go in the past they usually start to go down hill slowly but this one wasn't working at all and then suddenly started working fine, then back to nothing.

Checked wiring, earths etc, all look ok.
Old 18 March 2009, 12:00 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had one do what you describe: it was a dry soldered joint inside the alternator.

In those days they stripped it, found the fault, resoldered it and rebuilt it, bench tested it, then refitted it for £10.

Best of luck these days
Old 18 March 2009, 06:24 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spray some contact cleaner on the alternator and connections...let it dry and try again

......good luck