Notices

new-age clocks into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2009, 07:16 PM
WorkInProgress
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new-age clocks into a classic

as above, is this possible?... ...well i know it is as i have seen it on a american scooby site, but how was it done? or how can it be done?

i have a car in a middle of a build. i have my standard loom in place with a aftermarket ecu. an apexi power fc.

i know the plugs at the back of the new-age clocks are different. however, i was wondering if my loom could be made to somehow work with the newage clocks?
Old 17 August 2009, 09:06 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Everything's do-able if you have the time, and/or the spirit of adventure to take it on.

Best way with electrics would be to get hold of some newage plugs off a newage wiring loom, with the wires still in them.

You should then be able to cut off the existing plugs, splice the wires, (by soldering and heatshrinking), into the new plugs, then away you go.

Or you could do as I did on my folding mirrors thread: get hold of some spare plugs, take the wires and connectors out of the old ones, and the new ones, (a fine point helps here, plus plenty of patience), and click the whole lot into the relevant holes in the new plugs.

Either way, you are going to need access to detailed circuit diagrams for BOTH builds, so you know what wire goes where, or does what.

Ask on here, but be specific: year, model etc. You'd be surprised at the different wiring colours between models/builds.

Oh, and if your classic has the standard, not the electronic speedo, you need to find a way round that too
Old 17 August 2009, 10:25 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't forget that UK and JDM cars will have different looms too !

Good luck.

dunx

P.S. NASIOC is a good source of info, but not all of it applies to UK spec cars.
Old 17 August 2009, 12:33 PM
WorkInProgress
BANNED

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Everything's do-able if you have the time, and/or the spirit of adventure to take it on.

Best way with electrics would be to get hold of some newage plugs off a newage wiring loom, with the wires still in them.

You should then be able to cut off the existing plugs, splice the wires, (by soldering and heatshrinking), into the new plugs, then away you go.

Or you could do as I did on my folding mirrors thread: get hold of some spare plugs, take the wires and connectors out of the old ones, and the new ones, (a fine point helps here, plus plenty of patience), and click the whole lot into the relevant holes in the new plugs.

Either way, you are going to need access to detailed circuit diagrams for BOTH builds, so you know what wire goes where, or does what.

Ask on here, but be specific: year, model etc. You'd be surprised at the different wiring colours between models/builds.

Oh, and if your classic has the standard, not the electronic speedo, you need to find a way round that too
my aim is to fit a newage clocks into my 1995 UK turbo.
at the moment it has the standard uk wiring loom however i am running a apexi power fc.

i plan on using the clocks from a bugeye wrx (2003) as i seem to be finding lots of them however, if i can get my hands on a set of sti ones will there be any difference in wiring?

can this be done and if so can anyone help me?

thank
Old 17 August 2009, 07:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Quite likely, as the STI has a rev shift light and "beeper" combo.

I've downloaded the STI info for mine, you need those and the same for your UK model.

dunx

P.S. You need a wiring god to sort this, it could take hours, so it's likely to cost.