HID on classic

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2009, 12:15 PM
Fuzzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID on classic

Hi All,
planning on doing some lighting upgrades on my classic. want to go with a bi-xenon kit

Been trying to find out what my headlight bulb is. My research says it's H4/9003.

is this correct?
Old 22 August 2009, 12:42 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Classics are H4, yes. The lights will be brighter, just don't expect wonders, since the reflectors are CRAP! They scatter light everywhere, so you'll just scatter more
Old 24 August 2009, 04:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You'll need a Bi-H4.

We sell loads of these to Impreza owners and the feedback is great. I also have them fitted to my own classic and it improves the lighting no end.

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC
Old 24 August 2009, 05:35 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Fuzzo: I've helped someone fit one of BOB's kits to a classic: the beam pattern is crap. The lights ARE brighter, but the cutoff and pattern are gone.

Also, the kits are FAR, IMHO, from plug-and-play, for a classic, and any driving lights you have fitted will no longer work without further modding to THEIR wiring

Sorry, BOB, mate, that's the whole truth. Remains to be seen if the car in question passes an MoT, it's not for a while
Old 24 August 2009, 09:22 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Agree with ^^^

Go down the projector retrofit route mate
Old 24 August 2009, 09:42 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

start selling them then darms!!!!!
Old 24 August 2009, 10:30 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
start selling them then darms!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 29 August 2009, 07:31 PM
mag6/4 2
Scooby Regular

mine passed mot with hids fitted passenger side was a little low but still with in the limit for beam patern
Old 29 August 2009, 08:46 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

I have tryed all differant options for classic light upgrades and come to the conclusion that a retro fit using bixenons from another car is the only way to go. It's not the easiest job to do but the results are far better and far safer than just replacing the bulbs with aftermarket hid items. Mine passed the mot with a H4 hid kit in but i had to set the beam really low to avoid dazzling people. Darms you are a genius
Old 30 August 2009, 09:13 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

so is it worth not gettin a hid kit an maybe buying angel lights. my dad has angels on his an hell of a difference compared to my standards
Old 30 August 2009, 09:43 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

when i had my classic i put crystal headlights on and then h i d s a fantastic difference
Old 30 August 2009, 10:42 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Ive got the Bi-H4 and to be honest, they are $hit.
Nice bright white lights and thats all. The scatter shows up even more.

Replace your front fogs with driving lamps is a cheaper and a far better upgrade.
Old 30 August 2009, 10:55 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slipstream_uk
Ive got the Bi-H4 and to be honest, they are $hit.
Nice bright white lights and thats all. The scatter shows up even more.

Replace your front fogs with driving lamps is a cheaper and a far better upgrade.
wot is the bi-h4. is that different to the hid or exactly the same. i want feedback from people before i try hid conversion. ive got fog covers on mate so cant do that lol
Old 31 August 2009, 12:00 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

dipped & main beam
Old 31 August 2009, 08:35 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

The answer isn't as simple as it's made out to be.
You need to understand that,
a) the Subaru lights are crap, badly designed, and scatter light everywhere.
b) H4 bulbs use a twin filament, which is NOT available in HID
c) so the people making HID aftermarket kits cobbled together something that will do BOTH main and dip like an H4.

Unfortunately, the fliaments on an H4 lamp are optically aligned so that they produce the correct beam pattern and little scatter provided that the lens/refelctor is properly designed too. The HID twin setup CANNOT do this, it's physically impossible to get the light source in BOTH correct places.

So...........we have poorly designed lights, and with HID's inside, a poorly designed bulb too

The net result is that, yes, you will get FAR more light, since an HID produces the equivalent of 300W halogen, but unfortunately you ARE likely to suffer more scatter too, and your lamps may not produce the beam pattern you are used to............the ones I helped fit certainly don't

Have a look at the thread in General technical, https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-facelift.html and read the comments about flashing people, blinding people, and one user's dad having to drive with his hand on the stalk, he gets flashed so much.

Says it all, really..........and says a lot more than those selling the kits

Last edited by tanyatriangles; 31 August 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 31 August 2009, 10:17 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Eventually there's gonna be a clamp-down on aftermarket HID's as they ARE illegal.
Has a specific law been introduced recently then??
Old 31 August 2009, 12:14 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Has a specific law been introduced recently then??
Nope, just the one about headlamp washers and auto-height adjustment.

There are now so many people running about with these things fitted that a clamp down will come sooner rather than later.
Old 31 August 2009, 12:38 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Nope, just the one about headlamp washers and auto-height adjustment.
Those are requirements of European type approval at the point of manufacture? so how can they be imposed retrospectively?

There are now so many people running about with these things fitted that a clamp down will come sooner rather than later.
That maybe, or indeed it may be a case of wishful thinking, but you'd think plod would have enough on their plate stopping those with misaligned lights or leaving main beam on (which i see far more often then HID kits)
Old 31 August 2009, 02:23 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Those are requirements of European type approval at the point of manufacture? so how can they be imposed retrospectively?
Not according to DfT

That maybe, or indeed it may be a case of wishful thinking, but you'd think plod would have enough on their plate stopping those with misaligned lights or leaving main beam on (which i see far more often then HID kits)
Just going on a) comments on the thread in GenTech, and b), the amount I now see running around here.

Not gonna argue any more, DfT says they are illegal, that's enough for me. YOU know and I know that if it came to a crunch, the courts of THIS land would support a government department over your, or my freedoms.
Old 01 September 2009, 08:37 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Not according to DfT
From this?:

Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps

A few interesting points regarding the above article ...

Firstly i like the way they use the word 'view' ... & It's also for the RTA 88/ 89 to decide what's legal or not, not the DfT

With regard to the RTA, I & probably quite a lot of others aren't strictly complying with it even before installing HID's as neither my OEM headlights/Bulbs or my (& yours?) Morettes dont carry the relevant 'E' mark or BS symbols ...this also means that darm's & other's retro HID aren't legal either

The above statement was published almost 4 years ago & yet still the RTA hasn't been ammended to outlaw HID kits?

The above statement from the DfT also appears to obsolete regarding auto levelling & washers ...unless BMiniW have paid the EU a large back-hander?

Just going on a) comments on the thread in GenTech, and b), the amount I now see running around here.

Not gonna argue any more, DfT says they are illegal, that's enough for me. YOU know and I know that if it came to a crunch, the courts of THIS land would support a government department over your, or my freedoms.
No idea as to the above, but if HID's are really that much of a problem then you'd have thought that someone out there would have been prosecuted by now??? ...google doesn't throw up much?

Ill agree that fitting a HID kit is a bit of a bodge to an already flawed design ( most JDM halogen lights seem to be the same?) & that it does indeed scatter far more than an OEM system, mainly because HID's aren't meant to use a reflector ...instead (& it really isn't rocket science) they use a simple metal shield sat infront of a parabolic lens.
Old 01 September 2009, 09:59 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about it being their "view", but I still reckon that if push came to shove, you'd be hard pressed to convince magistrates that DfT are wrong. You MIGHT get it overturned in Crown court, but by that time would have spent a LOT of money. No thanks.

BTW: my Morettes are the quad optic ones on a classic, and as such, use Cibie light units, all of which are "E" marked.

My driving lights are Hella HID 1000FF, also "E" marked.
Old 01 September 2009, 12:02 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

BTW: my Morettes are the quad optic ones on a classic, and as such, use Cibie light units, all of which are "E" marked
It's not just the optics/bulbs that are supposed to be 'E' marked ...in the strictest sense
Old 01 September 2009, 12:05 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

It's not just the optics/bulbs that are supposed to be 'E' marked ...in the strictest sense
What else is there? The units use the same connectors as the stock car, plus the inners are on Morette wiring, (well, upgraded by me), plus all bulbs ARE e-marked, since they are either standard H2's or Osram Nightbreakers, which are legal to use, being still only 60W?
Old 01 September 2009, 09:43 PM
Stevo210
Scooby Regular

RETROFIT
Old 02 September 2009, 08:43 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

What else is there? The units use the same connectors as the stock car, plus the inners are on Morette wiring, (well, upgraded by me), plus all bulbs ARE e-marked, since they are either standard H2's or Osram Nightbreakers, which are legal to use, being still only 60W?
It's the housing/chassis, I too raised an eyebrow when i found it in the RTA?(might even of been on the VOSA site) somewhere ...something along the lines of it being an integral part of the headlight i.e adjustment (both manual & electric) ...ill try & dig out the relevent info.

I contacted Morette about it asking for clarification ...& I'm still waiting

Last edited by DazW; 02 September 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04 September 2009, 01:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Same old, same old

HIDs are the BEST option bar none on a classic without going to lengths of changing the actual headlamps. Been there and tried the alternatives and still have OEM crystal headlamps with one of our HID kits fitted on my own car
Old 04 September 2009, 03:20 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Same old, same old

HIDs are the BEST option bar none on a classic without going to lengths of changing the actual headlamps. Been there and tried the alternatives and still have OEM crystal headlamps with one of our HID kits fitted on my own car
Aye, that's what I helped fit, the beam patterns were non-existant, the cutoff all over the place and scatter was awful.

They were brighter though, so no problems eh?
Old 04 September 2009, 07:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

We've never had a classic kit back
Old 04 September 2009, 07:12 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
We've never had a classic kit back
This one isn't going back, but it's STILL crap, BOB, whatever you say
Old 06 September 2009, 09:46 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Not to get in to an argument with anyone as I am too busy at the present time but the following is an honest account of my experience with HIDs fitted to my STi 3 Wagon on Friday.
Because of everyone raving about how good HID lights were I decided, with Winter just round the corner, to give them a try. I considered that with advances in technology these lights might actually have something to offer. I am looking for lights that will allow brisk cross country driving and I am not interested in colour or what they are like to drive around town.
Bearing in mind that I drive numerous Subarus in the course of a month and already have quite a lot of experience of HIDs on customer cars I did a fair bit of research and on the basis that you only get what you pay for I ordered a set of 55 watt H4 from Knight Racer/Just HID, Milton Keynes. They advertise HID kits from £69.99 and I spent a lot of time determining exactly what I wanted hence the payment of almost twice their cheapest kit.
The first thing I noticed while setting them up was that they had well defined pattern on dipped beam. In the early hours of the morning I drove out of town and was impressed with the dipped pattern and there were no issues switching from dipped to full beam and so on. This is something that is often a problem with some of the HIDs with very poor switching. At this point I was very optomistic and driving to the outskirts of town I considered I had probably made a good buy. Out of town I was initially a little concerned because there was an apparent lack of range in places, however, driving down a country road with hedges on either side the hedges and verges were very well lit but as soon as long range vision was required, the lights were lacking. Clearly these lights work well on dipped and they are good where the range of vision is restricted by a corner but as soon as you need long range vision my previous lights were literally streets ahead.
The HIDs will come off the car at the earliest opportunity, workload permitting. They cost me £129.98 and anyone that wants them can have them for £90 posted inclusive of Paypal. They have probably been used for less than an hour.

Quick Reply: HID on classic