Notices

Impreza Classic Hid's

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2011, 12:40 PM
Silverscoob72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Classic Hid's

Hi all, My classic Impreza is fitted with crystal headlights, I am wondering if fitting an aftermarket Hid kit would be ok on these? I have heard many things about these kits saying they are illegal as they can cause incorrect beam pattern so i thought i would ask for some helpful advice on here. Thanks in advance, Nick.
Old 09 November 2011, 12:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL, try a few searches. You will get loads of info, which I don't intend re-typing here, sorry.

However, to condense it: you cannot polish a turd. Impreza lights are poor, fitting higher wattage, HID etc, bulbs WILL give you more light, but the same PERCENTAGE will be wasted, so causing scatter. Traders will tell you different, but they are SELLING stuff. I'm not, so tell you how it is

Add to that, HID's will give a decent DIP beam pattern, (they HAVE to, it will be checked, come MoT), but they do it at the expense of main beam, which is worse than normal Again, a search will reveal why

Uprated bulbs are a better bet

Or go HID projector, costs about £220, but WELL worth it, see my thread in Archives, top one.
Old 09 November 2011, 01:31 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get away with them on newage dipped, but I would imagine on a classic they'd be crap
Old 09 November 2011, 02:40 PM
Silverscoob72
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the helpful advice, Looks like i'll give them a miss then, Can anyone recommend some good uprated bulbs then instead? Cheers, Nick.
Old 09 November 2011, 02:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Osram Nightbreakers, Philips Vision Plus 100% uprated, Halfords 10%% uprated if on BOGOF.

Avoid higher wattage bulbs, cheap copies, so called "Xenon" bulbs, (which aren't), anything with a VERY blue tint, and above all, the expensive PIAA ones

When changing bulbs:

DO ensure they are seated properly: even 1mm out will put the beam all over the place.
DO set them up after fitting, they MIGHT need tweaking

DO NOT touch glass surface of bulb.

And above all, on an Impreza, SQUEEZE the two sides of the rubber bulbholder cover, then pull to release the connector, DON'T JUST PULL IT
Old 09 November 2011, 03:35 PM
Silverscoob72
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, I have had the halfords ones before, I will get some more then,
Old 09 November 2011, 05:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Don't fancy the projectors then? Mine are awesome.
Old 09 November 2011, 05:25 PM
witchamptonscoobie
Scooby Regular

as of next year hids without self leveling will be a fail on mots
Old 09 November 2011, 06:13 PM
Silverscoob72
Scooby Regular

I would like some projectors but its a bit too much messing about for me, They look good though.
Old 09 November 2011, 06:22 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

As of 1st Jan 2012, ALL non oem HID`s without E marking, and also without self levellers are going to be an instant MOT fail, and plod will be major on these and will know if you have HID`s and its not OEM they will take your car.

Your better off with some 120/80watt H4`s as they are bulbs and will not have the issues that people with HID`s will.

Last edited by Jimbob; 09 November 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09 November 2011, 07:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
As of 1st Jan 2012, ALL non oem HID`s without E marking, and also without self levellers are going to be an instant MOT fail, and plod will be major on these and will know if you have HID`s and its not OEM they will take your car.
No they won't, they will tell you to change them and give you a producer to prove they have been changed.

Where have you got the idea they can take your car for that, from?
Old 09 November 2011, 09:54 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No they won't, they will tell you to change them and give you a producer to prove they have been changed.

Where have you got the idea they can take your car for that, from?
Because the system is changing to the European style, so that any car defective will end up being removed from the road.

In Belgium if you get pulled and your car is modified, the police will take your car there and then, and take it to a workshop of their choice and put everything back to standard and then give you a bill for the lot, and if you don`t pay you`ll be sent to court to reclaim the money and get a record.

The whole reason these regs are coming in is to make the same rules throughout the EU, as to be fair we`ve been pretty lax. And in the EU if your car is defective and have not TUV approved mods (in some its any mods), they can seize your car.

And to be fair HID`s are illegal now in reflector lamps, as they are supposed to be Halogen bulbs, and most are crap and blind you and light the hedges more than the road.

My mate was pulled over last night and given MAJOR crap about a non OEM exhaust on a Vauxhall. It recently passed a normal MOT, so they are already starting to get compliant with these new laws so I`d watch out.
Old 09 November 2011, 10:04 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

i had them and plenty ppl have them they give u a good low beam but high beam not great. depends on which kit u get cheaper ones can be worse. as for mots just remove n put in normal bulbs or find a friendly mot'r its what most of us do /done in the past with regards to a cat
Old 10 November 2011, 02:38 PM
Silverscoob72
Scooby Regular

I have been to halfords today and bought some of their extreme brilliance bulbs, I will let you know what i think of them when i have had a drive in the dark, Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11 November 2011, 01:41 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Your better off with some 120/80watt H4`s as they are bulbs and will not have the issues that people with HID`s will.
Not a lot about it from here...
http://mottesters.co.uk/vosa_info_links.htm

Or here...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publicati...s.htm#P45_1269

There has been a lot of discussion about vehicle approval and testing over the past 12-18 months but what's currently proposed would seem far short of what was feared 3-4 months ago.

J.
Old 11 November 2011, 03:10 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Not a lot about it from here...
http://mottesters.co.uk/vosa_info_links.htm

Or here...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publicati...s.htm#P45_1269

There has been a lot of discussion about vehicle approval and testing over the past 12-18 months but what's currently proposed would seem far short of what was feared 3-4 months ago.

J.
I understand that but read this.
This is the manual for the 2012 tests.
New parts have a line next to them, and this is what the new MOT is.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...n%20Manual.pdf

Read from 1.7 onwards.

I`ve NEVER seen a set of retrofit HID`s that will pass these tests, and I`ve had some in my cars including in a projector lamp.

Also check fig 7.1.

Having a decat is now illegal, irrespective of if it can pass without. The Import pre July 1995 is still ok though, as there is no like for like car they can compare against as wasn`t a specific law to have a cat on these import cars till after July 1995.

So if you have HID`s and no headlamp levelling and/or no headlamp washers your car is a fail. Also even if you have these and they are in a Halogen headlamp they will fail the new beam pattern setups.

Last edited by Jimbob; 11 November 2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11 November 2011, 10:33 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I understand that but read this.
This is the manual for the 2012 tests.
New parts have a line next to them, and this is what the new MOT is.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...n%20Manual.pdf

Read from 1.7 onwards.

I`ve NEVER seen a set of retrofit HID`s that will pass these tests, and I`ve had some in my cars including in a projector lamp.

Also check fig 7.1.

Having a decat is now illegal, irrespective of if it can pass without. The Import pre July 1995 is still ok though, as there is no like for like car they can compare against as wasn`t a specific law to have a cat on these import cars till after July 1995.

So if you have HID`s and no headlamp levelling and/or no headlamp washers your car is a fail. Also even if you have these and they are in a Halogen headlamp they will fail the new beam pattern setups.
I did read it. That's why I posted the links.
I says where levellers and washers are fitted they must work. Doesn't state that they have to be fitted though.

Must confess to understanding what the beam pattern things were but forgot to read the testing of that bit... .... Which is the more worrying bit...

J.
Old 11 November 2011, 12:06 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I did read it. That's why I posted the links.
I says where levellers and washers are fitted they must work. Doesn't state that they have to be fitted though.
With HID`s being Illegal anyways, afaik there is no manufacturer that fits HID`s without headlamp washers and levellers. Also as said in the test the HID lamps have DCR on them with the E marking.

So with EU law saying for HIDs you MUST have levellers AND washers, if you have HIDs and not the others its a fail. As the tester is to look at the wishbones for the levelling sensors to detect car movement. If they aren`t there then they should fail it, as its not the case now if its not there they can`t test it, take Cats as an example if the change, as it specifically states no cat where one was fitted as standard is a fail, where as before as long as it would pass without you were ok. I know the police will be hot on these once the changes are in force, as its easy to check if a car has HIDs and if you try and blag it, they will say you`ve no washers so its a fail. And whack a mirror underneath and whoops youve no cat fail, unroadworthy car we`re taking it.

But as they say time will tell. Perhaps I`m being a little alarmist, but with greater integration with Europe it can only get more lke Europe and that doesn`t look good for our modified cars.

Last edited by Jimbob; 11 November 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11 November 2011, 04:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Reading the above, I STILL fail to see where it says that headlamp levelling and washers MUST be fitted?
Old 11 November 2011, 05:05 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Simple, it doesn't. It says they MAY be fitted.
Old 11 November 2011, 05:26 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it says may be fitted.

Reason for rejection; A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

A vehicle can only fail if its fitted and doesn't work. Not being fitted at all is not a reason for rejection

Last edited by BLU; 11 November 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11 November 2011, 05:36 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

All they have to do is now enforce the current law, which now with the extra tests will show up. Its a technical loophole that allows us to use these HIDs, but now the loophole is closing and wont be long until the full integration is complete and we are the same as Europe. With Every modification/ecu map needing Type Approval like German y do with TUV. Just glad were not Spain, where EVERYTHING is OEM.

Originally Posted by DFT
Aftermarket HID headlamps

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Telephone: 020 7944 2078
London Fax: 020 7944 2196
SW1P 4DR Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk
Old 12 November 2011, 05:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

We've seen that before.

Look at the VERY FIRST line: "In the department's view........."

That means it's NOT law, just their opinion.
It needs testing in law, and as the MoT rules above stand, they would lose, so aren't going to pursue it.
Old 12 November 2011, 05:48 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I have JDM Subaru HID's OEM and the blobeyes never had washers... there you go Jimbob a car from factory without
Old 12 November 2011, 07:44 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
We've seen that before.

Look at the VERY FIRST line: "In the department's view........."

That means it's NOT law, just their opinion.
It needs testing in law, and as the MoT rules above stand, they would lose, so aren't going to pursue it.
Well hope they dont bring this in in an "update" in a few months.

Originally Posted by Anger
I have JDM Subaru HID's OEM and the blobeyes never had washers... there you go Jimbob a car from factory without
Fair enough, but I still havent seen them and being JDM may well be a retrofit.

But time will tell, I hope we don`t get a lot of "My car failed cos of HID`s!!" threads.

Who knows if the Eurozone pulls the EU apart we may not have to worry about European Directives again!!

Last edited by Jimbob; 12 November 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 13 November 2011, 07:32 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Quite clear that self-levelling/washers only have to work if fitted, no mention of them having to be fitted!
Old 13 November 2011, 12:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I agree.........BUT: does anyone know of a car with Hids and NO self levelling/washers?

What about GENUINE JDM imports?
Or maybe, because they are imports, they wouldn't count.
Old 13 November 2011, 12:07 PM
Harry the Fish
Scooby Regular

HID kit, fitted uprated bulbs to my Classic and they are still utterly ****! And a waste of Money imho.
If it wasnt for the Gas Discharge spots it wouldnt be worth driving it at night.
Im led to believe that putting high wattage bulbs in a classic is a big no no too and can result in melted plastics inside the light unit ?
Old 14 November 2011, 06:02 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

JDM Sti bugeye Lights are not self levelling (same as std - electronic but driver operated) and do not have washers.
Old 14 November 2011, 06:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry the Fish
HID kit, fitted uprated bulbs to my Classic and they are still utterly ****! And a waste of Money imho.
If it wasnt for the Gas Discharge spots it wouldnt be worth driving it at night.
Im led to believe that putting high wattage bulbs in a classic is a big no no too and can result in melted plastics inside the light unit ?
It's like I've explained so many times: you cannot polish an turd

Subaru classic lights are cr@p so fitting higher wattage/uprated bulbs, or HIDs will simply increase the light output, yes, but the same PERCENTAGE of light will still be scattered, (actually MORE with HIDs), and that results in increased glare.

As for higher WATTAGE bulbs causing problems, I've seen melted CONNECTORS, and also melted wiring, neither of which is common.
If it were me and you don't want the work/cost of a proper HID projector, fit UPRATED bulbs.

This means no worries on those two scores and probably better FOCUS which is really important.

Quick Reply: Impreza Classic Hid's