Notices

Battery Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2011, 09:10 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Woes

With the cold days/nights in full swing I am back to struggling with having a flat battery every few days, more annoying due to the flipping alarm going off. I have been getting the car running using a battery booster for a quick top up to give some life back. I tend not to drive much so the car is left standing most days.

I know it is a common problem, i have chnaged the battery for a calcium halfords battery and had that tested which shows no problem. Got a auto electrician to test and check the alternator and he has suggested it is that causing the problem. Offered to fix for around £140 for a supply/fit, not sure if the price is good.

The other issue is the one about the tracker causing it, with it's standby draining the battery, considering getting in touch with them to see if they can take a look but what is the cost involved in doing so and is it likely to fix the issue.

Any help most appreciated.
Old 03 December 2011, 09:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

£140 sounds like the usual, "We don't know what's up with this one, but hey, we'll sell you a new one........", that you get from UK electrical places.

Have you thought of sourcing a new one and DIY?

And have you asked them to SHOW you why they think the alternator may be the problem? Or explain it?

On all my cars, I have only ever had ONE alternator fail, a Lucas exchange unit a friend "stole" for me. It needed new bearings after 8 months.
Old 04 December 2011, 02:51 PM
chiroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problem as youself not using car much, alarm going off due to flat battery etc. When alternator was tested the volts were low although no warning lights were on, ok after rebuild, cheaper option than new.