Notices

Manual classic headlight adjuster problem

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2013, 09:08 PM
StiKirk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual classic headlight adjuster problem

Hi, I brought a new crystal headlight (Depo copy) to replace a stone damaged one on my V5 Sti. I took the manual adjuster off the old light and all that came out was the white plastic fitting with a long bolt that I think screws in and out on the lense inside. With the lense pivoting at fixings either side inside.

I put the old ajuster on the replacement light and the bolt does not seem to catch on anything inside. When I looked into hole there is a plastic piece which is slightly hollowed but not all the way through. It seems the adjuster bolt just rests in there but no nut. I checked another (Depo) headlight and I carnt see anything differet there either, even the original subaru item looks the same?!

The light is way too high so I need to get it sorted.

Am I missing something??

Its the bit marked A in post 15 of the following link

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...t/page__st__10

Last edited by StiKirk; 14 April 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: pic
Old 15 April 2013, 01:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the bolt seats in a sort of cup in the white plastic bit, rather like a ball-and-socket?

You may be able to push it baqck in, but you may have to split the light to do it properly.

That's not as difficult as it sounds.
remove the metal clips from the light unit rear/glass seal, and set aside for later.
Place the light in an oven set at 50 degrees Celsius for about five minutes. Handling with oven gloves, remove and try and pull the glass off the rear. if it won't come, give it another couple of minutes.
When it does come, proceed carefully so that any "strings" of adhesive can be put back where they belong and NOT allowed to fall on the reflector.
Allow to cool before handling and DO NOT touch the reflector, you can't clean marks off it later, it's silvered on the surface, so you just knacker the silvering if you try. you CAN clean the glass inside, mind.

Re-sealing is the reverse. It uses the original glue. To be certain, you could go round the join with a LITTLE frame sealant etc., after joining.
remember to replace the metal clips
Old 15 April 2013, 05:57 PM
StiKirk
Scooby Regular

Alcazar thank you very much that is very inventive. I will give it a go later. You would not find that sort of insight elsewhere!!

Thanks fot taking the time to help.
Old 15 April 2013, 06:24 PM
StiKirk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just done my bit of baking and got the light open. Your idea worked at treat although I would say it needs 80 deg for 5/8 mins/gas mark 5 lol. Found the little black reciever in my old light so will check its there in the new one.

Top practical advice chap, thanks again
Old 15 April 2013, 10:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not my idea by any means, but I used it here: https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...mpler-way.html