Notices

My lights wont switch off!!! (NOT the parking switch!)

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2013, 05:52 PM
JDM Neil
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My lights wont switch off!!! (NOT the parking switch!)

Hi there, ive got a 2002 bugeye and owned trouble free for 6 months until now .....bit of a problem!!! The lights will not turn off!!!

Its not the parking light, it has some kind of aftermarket kit fitted and has been working fine. Ive been ill and havent used the car for 3 days and i went to start it and the battery was flat. I jump started the car to find main beam on with the stalk switched off. It has a fuse between there and the battery and it turned them off. Ive left it for a while and went back, put the fuse back in and it worked fine....... for one minute. Its like as soon as they are warm or been on for a while, they get stuck on.

Any thoughts??? Is it the ballast thingys?! (sorry, not mega on that sort of thing)
Old 16 April 2013, 06:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

HID kit fitted?

There may be a realy in the circuit which switches them on when the lights are selected. The relay could be sticking.

It will be a box about 30mm side, or it will be a box about 50mm x 40mm x 15mm.

if it's the former, you can get a spare from any carshop, standard on/off 4 terminal relay.

If it's the latter, you'll need to go to your HID supplier.
Old 16 April 2013, 06:32 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

my side lights wouldn't go out, turned out i had knocked the front fog switch, no fogs present.
Old 16 April 2013, 08:50 PM
JDM Neil
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
HID kit fitted?

There may be a realy in the circuit which switches them on when the lights are selected. The relay could be sticking.

It will be a box about 30mm side, or it will be a box about 50mm x 40mm x 15mm.

if it's the former, you can get a spare from any carshop, standard on/off 4 terminal relay.

If it's the latter, you'll need to go to your HID supplier.
Yup, HID kit fitted. Just tested again by leaving it and popping the fuse back in. they turn on and off for about 10 seconds then get stuck on. all i can see is this kind of thing........

Last edited by JDM Neil; 16 April 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 16 April 2013, 09:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, trace the wiring back from the ballasts, NOT the red wires that go to the bulbs, the other ones that go to the lights, battery etc.

Somewhere you WILL find one of those relays. Depending on type, and IF it's that which is at fault, (and it does sound like it), you might be able to fix it easily. If it's the electronic type, you might struggle.

Then you'll find out how good your HID supplier is/was.

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-Batter...item35a1f2fc41 is one with the larger relay, and here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-...item53f6c25635 is one with the standard relay.

The larger relay seems to be for Bi-Xenon kits, those using twin filament bulbs like the H4, so classics, and bugeyes.

The smaller standard relay is for the single filament bulbs, so blobeye, hawkeyes etc.