Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Right then you lot - who wants to see my cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 10:52 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Right then you lot - who wants to see my cobra?

Ok so it's not a scoob, but I thought you guys might like a butchers.

Cobra

Whaddaya reckon ????
Old 14 May 2004, 11:10 PM
John WRX
Scooby Regular

nice
Old 14 May 2004, 11:14 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

is it genuine? or is it the kit you can get? theres a genuine one round poole, often goes to the local meet, kitted up with nitrous, blimmin' stupid
Old 14 May 2004, 11:20 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Chosen one,

No it is a kit (the roll-bar is a dead giveaway), and strictly speaking I'm part owner with the old man - he and I built it a couple of years ago. If you are from round Poole, keep a look out for it as he is from round there and regularly attends the meets at the Horton Inn.

There is a quite well known cobra with a supercharged 5.7 chevy which is making 650ish bhp. That thing really goes
Old 15 May 2004, 07:45 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

wI ckeeeeeeeeed
Old 15 May 2004, 08:07 AM
OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE
Scooby Regular

Default Cobras..

Until recently, my mate worked for AC. He's a very talented Ally man. Builds bodies etc. Worked there for over 20 yrs til some **** screwed the company up!! Were 60+ employees and now I believe 6!!

Also, I know of a CRS (the last attempt to boost sales was with a carbon bodied model) for sale with 200 mls on the clock if anyones interested?

By the way, nice looking example I am a real fan of these. There's a few around here (Weybridge) real and fake.
Old 15 May 2004, 10:54 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Dude!!!

What you runing, Rover V8?
Old 15 May 2004, 11:20 AM
benjai
Scooby Regular

16vmarc, Yep, completely standard 3.5 litre so about 170bhp (booo!) but 220lbft torque (yeah!!) and the thing is only about 950kgs all up. It's not really that quick (not as quick as the scoob), but the noise is great - mainly due to 3" pipes throughout and silencing that all blew out just after the SVA test (honest!). Running carbs allows some interesting effects on the overrun also, like metre long flames at the traffic lights!!!!! Mr SVA tester was not too impressed when he blipped the throttle from outside the car and set fire to his trousers

OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE, there is a kit manufacturer who is importing hand rolled ally bodies to the original 427 spec from Poland. Aparrently lots of cheap labour and cheap ally since they started scrapping all the MiG's. IIRC they are either £20k or £40k for the body (can't remember which). Imagine one with AWD and a scoob engine!!!!!
Old 15 May 2004, 06:31 PM
OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE
Scooby Regular

Benjai, Kirkham or similar iirc? The guy was involved in the demise of AC!! Think he wanted to use these bodies rather than u.k built etc... They sell 100's in the states and for serious money too but hey can't beat the real thing.

One of our mates has a MK1V 'Lightweight' and ....... an RS200 -He deals inj antiques!! He's had em both since new. The RS is on an H plate but it's also cherished so not sure of exact year. The Cobra must be similar age I guess?

Lucky bas7id!!
Old 15 May 2004, 09:18 PM
Arrowflash
Scooby Regular

Nice car Benjai,

My mate is going to build an AK Cobra kit car at the moment he is building an extension to his single garage to make it a double Terzo in one side , Cobra in the other we are going up to AK in mid july to collect it as my scoob has a tow bar to pull the speedboat

Was the car up at Stoneleigh on May 2nd i was there . My mate wants to get his sprayed Cherry Red of some sort like yours , were from Southampton so might meet up with your dad or you one day

David
Old 16 May 2004, 07:03 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Cheers David,

No the car wasn't at Stoneleigh this time - I went last year but not in it then either!

In case you really like the colour, it is Wine Red Metallic and it's a Yamaha paint. Prepare for quite a bill though as it is a multi layer system, it desn't cost that much to paint a bike as there isn't much of them. In our case it was (approximately) 5 coats metallic burgundy, 5 coats pearlescent transparent fuschia pink and 3 coats of clear lacquer. All this over about 10 coats of high build primer to get the doors and body to match for shape!!!!!! Imagine what fun it is to touch up the stone chips !!
Old 16 May 2004, 09:07 PM
Arrowflash
Scooby Regular

HI
I will pass this information about the colour of your car on to my mate as the car will be dark red of some sort with cream lines going front to back . As you are from this area who did you get to spray the car seems hard to find a company that sprays classic cars he knows it won't cheap . I know it won't be till early next year . Hopefully might see the car at one of the local meets (HORTON INN) before then to see the true colour of the car .

David
Old 16 May 2004, 09:27 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

One word - Lovely