Engine Bay Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 10:19 AM
FailedLogin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bay Cleaning

Got a MY00 Classic completely standard.

Want to clean my engine bay, but I don't know which bits to cover.

Anyone got any pics of their engine with the relevant bits covered as I don't know which bits are which

Cheers
Old 03 August 2007, 10:26 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I saw a handy tip the other day, and it's something that had never even crossed my mind.....

Cover the electrical items with tin foil!! The foil can be "moulded" around the individual components pretty well and it keeps the water off.

Obviously cover the "distributor" area and the alternator. I did read that Impreza alternators were particularly sensitive to water ingress, so be careful.

I used a two-tin product on my classic and it did a pretty good job.....can't remember the manufacturer, but it was from Halfrauds. They didn't have any in when I wne the other day though......I was looking coz I'm going to clean mine up a bit too.

Have fun!!!
Old 03 August 2007, 10:31 AM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

look in car care pages polish bliss have the stuff you need and loads of pics if you look through
Old 03 August 2007, 10:48 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marty, think your talking about the CD2 stuff..

If its particularly grubby its well worth spending the money on a steam clean
Old 03 August 2007, 10:59 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Aye....that's the stuff...CD2.

It worked ok actually, but as you say, a steam clean takes some beating.
Old 03 August 2007, 11:10 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

ok guys, this question comes up time and time again and please for the love of god, will you lot do a search

There are loads of guides on the car care section from Polished bliss, but for the bored, uninitiated or just plain lazy, here is a detailed way to do it.

Preperation
you need to cover various parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays or water. These include the:
Alternator
Alarm Housing
Intercooler
Battery terminals (if not covered already)
Induction kit cone (if you have one)

Like it was mentioned above, tin foil is a better alternative to using clingfilm for the alternator, alarm housing etc. as it is easier to mould and has great protection properties.
I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end of the induction pipe to stop any water ingress.
*note see the warning about this plastic bag further on*

For the intercooler the best way tocover it, is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.

Cleaning Products
Everyone has their favourite product .There used to be a two can product from Halfords called CD2 which comprised off a degreaser and engine detailer, however Halfords has stopped selling this in most of England (scotland seemed to still stock it a while ago), so I use two products instead. GUNK in an orange can for the degreaser and GUNK engine detailer and protector as the dress up agent, again this comes in a blue can.
People also swear by Autoglym products, so no doubt you will find your favourite. I also like Autoglym's Vinyl and rubber trim cleaner, as it is a great product for cleaning and bringing up silicon hoses and any vinyl bits in the engine, such as airboxes, fusebox covers etc.

Read the instructions on these products carefully, as some of these solutions are quite abrasive to asphalt driveways so check first.

The Cleaning
Most of the products you use will have a detailed procedure on them, however a general guideline is always
1. Cover
2. Degreaser and brush
3. rinse with water
4. Dry and mop up
5. Detail
6. Finish

Since you have now covered the necessary parts, spray on the degreaser and let it work into the grime and grease.Agitate the really dirty parts with a coneshaped bristle brush or your wife's toothbrush . This will loosen the hard muck ready for the rinsing.
Once done, time for a wash.
Now here loads of people vary in their suggestions, depending on if they like pressure washers or just a hose.
I have used a pressure washer on my engine bay for years now with no ill effect and so have no problem with them, however some people prefer to use a gentle stream of water from a hoseipe with various attachments.

You need to decide what you are comfortable with...

Once you have rinsed/jetwashed, then time to mop up.
Pools of water will collect in various parts of the engine bay, so using kitchen towel or old rags, mop up the excess but dont wipe.
When done, time to take off ALL the coverings you placed on earlier.
This includes the plastic bag over the induction kit if you have one.
I forgot to do this a few years ago and when I turned on the engine to dry,well lets just say my induction kit cone was 50% smaller in under 3 secs !!!!! whoops.
Once all the coverings are off, start up the engine and let run for 10 mins with the bonnet open.Then close the bonnet and run for another 5 mins.
This heats up the engine bay and dries off most of the water excess.
Mop up again with kitchen towel or rags if needed.

Detailing and dress up

*Before detailing, cover all parts of the engine as before *
Pay particular attention to the alternator as detailing solutions do not mix well with this engine part.

Then using your dress up product of choice, spray liberally all over the engine bay, making sure you get down in all the nooks and crannies. Many sprays come with little tubes to get into these difficult to reach areas.
Obviously these products work well on all the hoses and plastic/vinyl bits of the engine. watch your overspray at this point, because these products are not good if left on the windscreen or front wings and bodywork. Wipe off quicky if you overspray.
Then leave the detailer on the engine bay to soak in.
Remove all coverings as before BEFORE starting the engine. Again run for 10mins with bonnet up, 5 mins with bonnet down.

At this point, I take the car for a little burn down the road for about 10-15 mins to fully seal the detailer.
I also give any shiny stainless steel bits in my enginebay a good wipe over and polish and use the Autoglym to wipe the hoses.
I try not to wipe over any parts that have been detailed as the heat should have sealed it already.

Then just stand back and admire
Old 03 August 2007, 12:38 PM
FailedLogin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SwissTony
ok guys, this question comes up time and time again and please for the love of god, will you lot do a search

Preperation
you need to cover various parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays or water. These include the:
Alternator
Alarm Housing
Intercooler
Battery terminals (if not covered already)
Induction kit cone (if you have one)
Appreciate the response - I did a search and only came up with Archive posts
I was mainly after a picture as I don't know where the alternator or alarm housing is?? (Car Novice)

What about the fuse box?
Old 03 August 2007, 12:43 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FailedLogin
Appreciate the response - I did a search and only came up with Archive posts
I was mainly after a picture as I don't know where the alternator or alarm housing is?? (Car Novice)

What about the fuse box?
if you wait 5 mins, I will post one up
Old 03 August 2007, 01:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

you dont need to cover the fusebox, it already has a cover

here you go

Old 03 August 2007, 01:17 PM
FailedLogin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SwissTony
you dont need to cover the fusebox, it already has a cover

here you go

Thanks
One other question - What is the thing in the top right of the engine bay?
(Up and Right of the IC, Above the Bulkhead)
Old 04 August 2007, 08:34 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

sorry mate,totally forgot about replying to this.
which bit are you on about ???
Old 04 August 2007, 10:52 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Wiper motor?