• Privacy Glass
  • Fogs

On with the pics...

And now my other car:

SSS/Aero package
  • Front lip
  • Side spoilers
  • Big rear spoiler
  • Lip spoiler on rear spoiler (weird thing)
  • HID headlamps
  • Rockford Fosgate sound system
  • Shift **** with Evolution markings
  • Handbrake with Evolution markings

Both cars have their + and - ... and some defects!

But here is a little write up:

The back of the seat in the Evo is better. ItŽs tight but you wonŽt feel it as much as the STI one. The seat cushion in the STI is better (although it makes annoying "clicking" sounds - more regarding that later). The side bolsters are seperated from the center cushion, you can stick your fingers right through there. I think this is made like this so they give support while not being too hard. There is more room in the Evo and therefor more comfortable to be in regarding leg room and shoulder room. The Evo just feels alot bigger inside.

The steering wheel in the STI feels bigger than the Evo and it seems to be lower than the Evos. When IŽm driving the Evo I can have quite amount of space between my knees and the steering wheel but not as much in the STI. The steering is more likeable in the Evo. Lighter, quicker, more responsive. STI is meatier in lower speeds.

You can clearly feel the difference in handling by just driving around. The Evo is effortless while you can feel that you have to put some "muscle" into driving the STI. Doing a roundabout in the Evo is as hard as playing GT5, it just goes where you want it to go. The STI on the other hand feels much "heavier", it wants to go out of the roundabout and it takes more effort to keep it in line. Therefor I would say that the STI is more of a drivers car. The Evo is a make-anyone-a-racer kind of toy. Not as rewarding since you donŽt need as much skill [read with Napoleon Dynamites voice]. When you take sharper turns at some speed in the Evo, you just turn the wheel and it goes there, but IŽve found myself to be holding my breath to put more muscle into doing the same thing in the STI. Muscle vs. Tech.

Breaking is very close. I would say the STI brakes are a bit stronger than the Evos but still very close.

The gearboxes are very different. The 5-speed Evo box is weird. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd can make annoying crunch. Like the synchros arenŽt doing their job well enough. The shift also feels very loose. You kinda have to aim the shifter into gears and itŽs quite light. The STI box on the other hand is pure muscle. For a starter it knows what gear you want to go in and its meaty. Feels alot stronger. The Evo box DESPERATELY misses the 6th gear. I drive on a highway every single day and the speed there is 70+mph. 3300 RPM and canŽt shift up. Then you go thinking: "I miss the STI box".

Looks are always a matter of opinion and since I own both of them its quite clear that I like them both. The Evo is an angry, children-eating, milf-hunting shark. At least the front looks like a shark or a seabass. ItŽs very mean. People tend to like the Evo more because of the aggressive looks. However, the STI isnŽt soft as many say. Looking at it you get the feel that the STI is ready to go WRC-ing like its big brother. ItŽs tough. It looks agile while the Evo looks big and clunky. However the looks donŽt represent the handling since the big fish handles better. The STI wins clearly when you look at the front fenders. Evo wants to have a vent (forgot the word for it), so MMC stuck one on there. The STIs is more "in the design", its more thought out and it looks alot better. The rear end on both the Evo and STI are controversial. They both look odd but the STI wins in my opinion. The bulging fenders make it look so tough, like it could punch you. When driving around in the Evo, everyone with some sort of interest in cars is looking at you. When youŽre in the STI, only people that know what it is will look at you. You get more space and freedom. You can pick your nose all you want.

Both cars are making me cringe though. The STIŽs paint is thinner than you have on your M&Ms. It chips too easily and shows thin surface scratches. The drivers seat in the STI is loose, it will be fixed on Wednesday but to fix it they have to remove the seat and some of the carpet. Great. The Evo has itŽs share of bugs too, other than the gearbox problem I mentioned. The left sill is loose, IŽll have to take it off and try to fit it properly again. There is a gap between the darn thing and the actual sill on the car. The left "flap" on the rear bumper always gets loose and there will a gap between it and the bumper. Double tape to the resque! The paint on the Evo is also not the best, but so far a little better than on the STI. Bugger... One thing both cars have really much in common - Shaky hoods. The STI hood vibrates alot while driving. The Evo however is alot worse. In strong oncoming wind or when a lorry bypasses you, the wind will grab under the front of the hood, by the lights and almost rip it off! ItŽs so violent and disturbing. Almost shat my pants the first time it happened. I did scream, however.

Extras, extras. Winner. STI. My Evo has Rockford Fosgate stereos, HID lights, Aero kit, keyless entry and wheel locks. The stereo and Aero kit are awesome, but the STI extras are more... rare and special. Other STIs here are base STIs. They have the grandpa seats, the 5spokes (which I like), no fogs (which I also like). Well you know the drill. What my STI has above the base STI is nice. Recaros. BBS wheels. Navi/DVD/thouchscreen thingies, Push Start, Keyless entry, privacy glass and the fogs. The BBS and Recaros make it more "niiiice". Its clear at the carshow theyŽre at. People look at the base STI and go "Odd car but nice" and then they see mine, think itŽs the same but when they notice the difference they go "Niiiiiice!"

The sense of speed is greatly different between these two cars. In the Evo, I feel like IŽm doing 100mph when IŽm at 60. On the other hand, when IŽm doing 60mph in the STI, I feel like IŽm doing 30... or so to speak. When I first got my STI I was taking off gently at an intersection. I thought it was slower than my last two STIŽs but then I looked at the speedometor. CRAP! 80! Then after a few days of driving I was beginning to feel like the Evo was faster, it had more kick though both are very linear, you donŽt get the same boost kick as before. But ah. Then it hit me. I had totally forgotten the SI-Drive although I had a Legacy Spec.B equipped with it. I had been driving in S all the time. I hit S# and boy did it make a difference! Now all of a sudden the Evo didnŽt feel that much faster.

If you need attention, get the Evo. It turns head. It makes children cry. Babes will want you. Hot moms want you to make more babies with them. It has more interior room to make babies in. Its more in the classic look (sedan with lightpole killing spoiler). If you want a drivers car that requires people that know what itŽs all about and not being a total "omg thatŽs so fast and the furious!" car, then get the STI. You propably will have to answer alot of questions like "Why did they make it a hatch?!", "What is this?" and "Why is it so small?". Well, some people just donŽt get on the Different-train and want the same formula over and over again (sedan + big wing = Ding ding ding! Winner!). And it isnŽt small. But opinions are opinions. You canŽt make people like the STI if they donŽt and why does it matter? Anyways. The STI can lurk through the streets without being noticed and jump out like a snake, to the kill its prey when needed. The Evo craves for attention, feeds on it.

The Evo is a dead-serious car and its comfortable to drive, but the STI is just so much more bare-knuckled grunt. Its clearly the underdog while the Evo is a videogame on wheels. And thatŽs why I like the STI a bit more.
Old 12 May 2008, 05:26 PM
SCOOBYJOHN12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like the scoob in red not a evo man myself but like that one
Old 12 May 2008, 05:42 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

evo for me, looks a weapon!!!

agree about the seats though, look much better in the subaru.......
Old 12 May 2008, 06:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

And these are both your cars? How jealous

I really like the STI.
Old 12 May 2008, 06:32 PM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

Yes. Both my cars

Old 12 May 2008, 06:49 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome pics & interesting writeup that is quite unique in that there are very few people right now that own both these cars at once!
ps are you a photographer by any chance & what camera have you used?

Also how comes you decided to buy both cars at once?
Old 12 May 2008, 07:15 PM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

IŽm not a professional photographer no. Just a hobby of mine.

I used Canon EOS 20D back in the days, still have it, but now I use 40D. I use Canon lenses: 50mm f1.4, 17-85, 10-22, 60mm Macro and I use 580EX II flash and ring light for the Macro.

I bought them both because I like them both and thought it would be interesting to own both. Always wanted an Evo VIII og IX when I had my 2007 STI, but never went for it. So shortly after I ordered my 08 STI I bought the Evo X and imported it. First and only Evo X here, second 08 STI and only "Spec.R" here.

Last edited by ArnarFB; 12 May 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2008, 07:19 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Great pictures and write up - the Evo in white looks stunning all it needs is lowered and a set of big dark coloured alloys.One of the drawbacks of buying a brand new model is the small niggly problems I suppose.Will be interesting to see how they fare over the next few months
Old 12 May 2008, 07:22 PM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

Yes when brand new models come out there are always some little bugs here and there. ThatŽs given.

I want to get 19" Advan RS for the Evo in dark chrome or gunmetallic, canŽt remember what the name was.
Old 12 May 2008, 07:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You obviously have plenty of disposable cash. What do yo do for a living?
Old 12 May 2008, 07:43 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Have just been reading this looks like there are a few "niggles" with the SST gearbox as well.
evo x - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
Old 12 May 2008, 07:45 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

You lucky Bu**er.
good write up as well.

Mac
Old 12 May 2008, 07:49 PM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
Have just been reading this looks like there are a few "niggles" with the SST gearbox as well.
evo x - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
Yes, the SST seems to have its share of bugs. What I read somewhere (Evolutionm if I remember correctly) is that MMC had to strengthen the SST box to handle the Evo X power.. which makes you think: How will it take any added horsepower? With a bang?
Old 12 May 2008, 07:55 PM
ballsie
Scooby Regular

Lovely cars mate!

Who makes the mud flaps on your STi?
Old 12 May 2008, 08:02 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ballsie
Lovely cars mate!

Who makes the mud flaps on your STi?
Look like Rally Armor from the US
Rally Armor Rally Products, Rally Mud Flaps, Skid Plates and more.
Old 12 May 2008, 08:49 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

ohhh i like it in red 2 stunning cars u have there mate
Old 12 May 2008, 09:14 PM
volcom
Scooby Regular

Maaaan, I am going to be dreaming about those 2 tonight. Amazing.
Old 12 May 2008, 11:02 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

You lucky, lucky boy

Very interesting write up, agree that the Evo will look better with some big dark wheels.

Scoob does it for me though, all day long
Old 13 May 2008, 12:02 AM
ballsie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
Cheers
Old 13 May 2008, 12:56 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Great write up, lucky fella to have to great cars, in country that has some great roads and places to take them.

Wonder, howmuchdoesit cost to run them?

insurance, tax & cist of fuel over there?
Old 13 May 2008, 12:59 AM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

It costs a good amount, all I can say
Old 13 May 2008, 02:43 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

When you said "other car" i was expecting a banger of somesort...but well played! Two great cars... now all you're missing is the GT-R

I prefer the Evo X though... saw a white one down my road yesterday... and have to say that it looked very mean on the roads!

Good write-up...will know who to come to for unbiased views in the future
Old 13 May 2008, 10:41 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

As has been said, very interesting read there, and stunning pictures! That Evo is absolutely gorgeous!
Old 13 May 2008, 01:31 PM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

Well... regarding the GT-R...

I would have to sell either one or both in order to get one of those

1 - 3 - 7 - 10 - 11

Last edited by ArnarFB; 13 May 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 08:46 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

Lovely......both of them. Not seen a STi in red......looks better than I thought it would!

Of course black or gunmetal wheels improve all cars in my view!

And I'm even more jealous that you've got a fantastic country to take photographs in.......

....hmmmm.....wonder what it would cost for a ferry trip to Iceland with my '07 STi Ltd?
Old 14 May 2008, 09:37 AM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

IŽm not sure how much it costs in full, but you can check this website out:

HOME

Car Package

I think you could have some great fun here.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:03 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Great pair of cars, you luck bar steward!!!

White Evo defo the best choice.

I would have gone for dark wheel on the Red STi

I love the photo's, enjoy both cars.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:10 AM
ArnarFB
Scooby Regular

I want to keep the wheels like they are on the STI. Like them in silver. They donŽt stick out as much if they are darker or black. However, if I would sometime make them darker, IŽm thinking about dark gunmetallic. But for now, silver.

White would work too, though.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:37 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I have a semi! oh and nice write up
Old 14 May 2008, 11:12 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Sorry but that STI in Red looks bl00dy awful.

I personaly think the ONLY colour the STI looks good in is Dark Grey Metallic.

I think here in the UK we'll get quicker Evo's. FQ330 & 360 that will probably blow the STI into the weeds. Need to know what Prodrive have in mind for the STI.

MPG of the Evo is just a pi55 take. Especially in FQ360 form.

I'm warming to the STI but the first thing I'd have to do is change the rear light clusters. Worst bit of the car.

Nice write up though.

Quick Reply: My 2008 STI "Spec.R" - and my other car