Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Karen's Classic WRX race car

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 12:52 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Karen's Classic WRX race car

First race is coming up on 4th April, and the car is pretty much getting there. A few shots from a recent test day at Silverstone:

A happy driver!

The car is prepared for the Subaru Cup, which will be within the Nippon Challenge. It's a production series, allowing 17" wheels, suspension mods within production tolerances and subaru 4-pot front brakes. Any other mods are purely for safety/racing.

Silver wheels pictured on the car are our Ultralite Atec 7x17 alloys wearing the control tyres for the series. Silverstone FTZ type RR road legal semi-slicks (Like R888's).

Anyone interested should check out Karen Phillips Racing and Nippon Challenge - Media

Cheers,
Rich.
Old 05 March 2009, 02:18 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Like the first pic, infront of everyone else
Old 05 March 2009, 02:25 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome
Old 05 March 2009, 03:23 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

One before the first picture above:

Some video from the day:

Currently got some problems to sort out before the first races but fingers crossed it should be ok. Hoping to have the car fully vinyl'd up before then too.

Last edited by Squizz; 05 March 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:31 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

looks good
Old 10 March 2009, 03:22 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Nice one.

I've followed the Scoob side of the Nippon Challenge with great interest and yer man Steve Vince sounds to be doing a great job. I raced bikes in the past and have scoobs now, but the circumstances aren't right for me to go racing again just now.

One thing puzzles me a bit is the insistence on TMIC. Do you have a charge temperarure gauge on your racecar? With hard use, and from a standing start after idling a while, temps really are out of control with a classic TMIC. My STi6 would easily go to 50degC (before I fitted FMIC) and others have seen the gauge go off the scale at 70degC.

Don't understand why they don't allow FMIC for safety reasons. The lower temperature gives a little more power, yes, but the main point is that it's safer for track use. Only when you remap to higher boost or fit bigger turbo does it allow much greater power. Cost of a Hybrid FMIC is comparable to fitting a newage TMIC (not even sure the rules allow the latter?) and far more effective.

Do the scoob racercars blow up their engines and do they see det beforehand? Presume you monitor det?

Andy

Last edited by Andy916; 10 March 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10 March 2009, 04:57 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

It all comes down to cost and a level playing field. Getting a FMIC installed can cost a few hundred quid, and then it'd need to be from a controlled source to prevent any performance advantage. It just complicates matters.

I also have concerns over the charge temperatures, but the cars seemed to last ok last season. I am very tempted to see if we can get a controlled TMIC for use instead. Our own standard item is battered to bu66ery so at the least I'll be looking for a decent quality replacement. Unfortunately again, the early WRX cars can't use the larger/straight TMICs without hassle.

As for monitoring temps/boost/Det, etc. our racing driver isn't too good at that kind of thing! A couple of seasons ago I only discovered she'd been driving for at least a couple of races with a slipping clutch when I tried to drive it onto a trailer!!! "Oh, I drove around the problem..." LOL! Other teams/drivers will be more observant, I'm sure.

I'd keep your eye on what happens this season.
Old 11 March 2009, 10:01 AM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Squizz
As for monitoring temps/boost/Det, etc. our racing driver isn't too good at that kind of thing!

...I'd keep your eye on what happens this season.
I could never watch the gauges during a race either, but persuade her to specifically look at some of the peak values on a practice day, down the straight, when there's no pressure. Peak boost, charge temperature (if you have a gauge) and whether the knocklink or detalarm does anything (and don't forget to confirm the knocklink actually works by tapping the sensor with a spanner beforehand). With the old slanty intercooler you'll be pretty close to the edge.

What you can do, if allowed, is to load the top of the IC with ice just before the off. Takes charge temp down by tens of degrees and will last a while into the race. Will give a stronger launch too.

I will indeed keep an eye on the series; will turn up to one of the rounds and wander the paddock for a chat.

Andy
Old 11 March 2009, 01:04 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Squizz
Hi Andy,

It all comes down to cost and a level playing field. Getting a FMIC installed can cost a few hundred quid, and then it'd need to be from a controlled source to prevent any performance advantage. It just complicates matters.

I also have concerns over the charge temperatures, but the cars seemed to last ok last season. I am very tempted to see if we can get a controlled TMIC for use instead. Our own standard item is battered to bu66ery so at the least I'll be looking for a decent quality replacement. Unfortunately again, the early WRX cars can't use the larger/straight TMICs without hassle.

As for monitoring temps/boost/Det, etc. our racing driver isn't too good at that kind of thing! A couple of seasons ago I only discovered she'd been driving for at least a couple of races with a slipping clutch when I tried to drive it onto a trailer!!! "Oh, I drove around the problem..." LOL! Other teams/drivers will be more observant, I'm sure.

I'd keep your eye on what happens this season.
Can you use the STI2 or similar TMIC?
Browser Warning

Not too sure how much value the suggestion is.... These TMICs must be a little rare now and mostly people will have converted to later TMIC or FMIC anyway.

J.
Old 11 March 2009, 01:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Some cool pics there.

The chap that runs the Nippon Challenge lives in the same apartment block as my mother.
Old 12 March 2009, 10:39 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys.

During the practice day it was easier for her to check max boost and coolant temp along certain sections of the track. During races it's much more difficult to find a quiet moment to do the same.

I've bought an STi 1/2 intercooler off eBay that looks in good condition and I've got an SFS boost pipe kit ready to go on so we'll see if that improves things. The engine is coming out on Saturday 21st so it may be a good opportunity to swap it all at the same time.

Our previous head mechanic/electrician is now racing himself this coming season and will be running an XSpec Motorsport arrive/drive car in the Subaru Cup. So Karen will be competing against one of her friends and the guy responsible for all the electrics on her car! Good luck Darren!
Old 12 March 2009, 11:24 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

More piccage:

Interior (The passenger seat and harness will be coming out before the first race):

The "Office":

Silverstone pit garage:

Old 18 March 2009, 12:59 AM
John2.5RS
Scooby Regular

Very nice track car!

Originally Posted by Andy916
I could never watch the gauges during a race either, but persuade her to specifically look at some of the peak values on a practice day, down the straight, when there's no pressure. Peak boost, charge temperature (if you have a gauge) and whether the knocklink or detalarm does anything (and don't forget to confirm the knocklink actually works by tapping the sensor with a spanner beforehand). With the old slanty intercooler you'll be pretty close to the edge.

What you can do, if allowed, is to load the top of the IC with ice just before the off. Takes charge temp down by tens of degrees and will last a while into the race. Will give a stronger launch too.

I will indeed keep an eye on the series; will turn up to one of the rounds and wander the paddock for a chat.

Andy
Not trying to hijack your thread.

Here in AZ, Track temps are much higher than most of you see in europe, I've been out there when it's +115* F in the shade, and coolant temps become an issue with alot of cars that run front mounts; I know several people that have had issues with higher coolant temps, overheating, and other issues that come with blocking the radiator with an intercooler.
I on the other hand, Love my lil' top mount, I know it's not up to higher HP and boost levels, but at the same time it's easier to cool, and weighs less.
I wouldn't leave the ice on there during the race, may damage the intercooler.

\

I do Ice it down before the hitting the track, keeps it cools for about the first 10-15 mins, depending on how hard I push it, Then I rely on an Ice water intercooler spray to keep the intercooler cooler. Seems to work great, Keeps the heat soak to a Minimum, And it still kinda cool to the touch after 20-30 mins of track abuse.
Old 18 March 2009, 05:18 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

John, that is one hell of a car...

Only ever had the pleasure of visiting Boston and Vermont in the US, and usually in October. Vermont is a Scooby State! Virtually every other car is a Subaru. Mostly Foresters, Legacy Outbacks and then Impreza WRX's.

All that ice! Looks like a good excuse for a long cool drink. No wonder you Americans have to have so many cup-holders in your cars.

The replacement intercooler from eBay arrived, and it's in fantastic condition! Not bad for £25 delivered, eh?

Now I just need to add the optional ice-bucket and we're sorted. Kind of on that note, we've currently kept the air conditioning in place, as Karen really feels the heat when racing and a few seasons ago had to sit in a race car on the grid for 45 minutes in her fireproof overalls in 35+ degrees (c). Never again, without air con!

Oh yeah, door bars nearly finished. All welded up now. Just receiving a coat of paint before final fitment. (obviously, done both sides):

Old 18 March 2009, 07:52 PM
John2.5RS
Scooby Regular

You may want to look in a coolsuit, it's only a few lbs. and a couple wires, I'm looking to fit one soon.

then you can ditch the AC, more weight reduction!
Old 18 March 2009, 07:55 PM
Will Hendrix
Scooby Regular

Aren't you required to leave the windows down when racing? That would certainly help, I know that's the way it is at club racing here in the US at least.

Great car by the way, I would love to have a classic as a race car. Seems like a much more efficient platform. Scooby Cup sounds like a great race series as well.

Last edited by Will Hendrix; 18 March 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 19 March 2009, 10:43 AM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

With my '95 WRX I used to find that running the AC noticeably affected top-end power. It's probably worth switching it off just before the race starts, if Karen can manage that! Or try switching it off when a touch of extra power is needed!
Old 19 March 2009, 11:06 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Will Hendrix
Aren't you required to leave the windows down when racing? That would certainly help, I know that's the way it is at club racing here in the US at least.

Great car by the way, I would love to have a classic as a race car. Seems like a much more efficient platform. Scooby Cup sounds like a great race series as well.
In the UK, the windows can be open by a max of about 1/3 and no more when racing. I guess they believe they're more likely to shatter when not fully supported. I find it odd that you can't have the windows down when other race cars are convertible/open topped with no windows at all. (although you might be able to have the window fully down with a window net fitted).

The Subaru Cup should soon find support and it's own grid I think. For now it'll be within the Nippon Challenge racing series. Check out this video to see the kind of action from 2008: YouTube - Nippon Challenge 2008 (Sorry, all sound has been removed by Youtube ).
Old 19 March 2009, 11:10 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy916
With my '95 WRX I used to find that running the AC noticeably affected top-end power. It's probably worth switching it off just before the race starts, if Karen can manage that! Or try switching it off when a touch of extra power is needed!
She'll be under strict instruction to switch it off just before the race starts...
Old 06 April 2009, 08:32 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Smile Karen's in-car footage from racing at Snetterton

Race 1: YouTube - Karen Phillips - Nippon Challenge / Subaru Cup Snetterton 04/04/09 Race 1

Race 2: YouTube - Karen Phillips - Nippon Challenge / Subaru Cup Snetterton 04/04/09 Race 2

Many thanks to Silverstone Tyres for sponsoring the Subaru Cup and to XSpec Motorsport for their sponsorship and fantastic brake pads.

Karen qualified 14th on the grid and came third in the Subau Cup in Race 1 (11th overall), and 4th in the Subaru Cup in Race 2 (9th overall). Her results would obviously have been much better if she'd been able to select third gear when she wanted instead of just occasionally.

Congratulations to our friend Darren (white car #5) for getting 3rd place in the Subaru Cup in Race 2!
Old 07 April 2009, 09:18 PM
wrxgreen
Scooby Regular

nice video there i believe my mate martin came 1st in race 1 in the silver /red impreza well done to karen too
Old 08 April 2009, 09:29 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxgreen
nice video there i believe my mate martin came 1st in race 1 in the silver /red impreza well done to karen too
Yeah!

Martin drove brilliantly to come 1st in both Subaru Cup races. Really smooth consistent driving style and good battles with Miles Hulford and Stuart Ward.

I bet he's really looking forward to his "home" circuit at Pembrey in May.

Martin:

Karen:

Last edited by Squizz; 08 April 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08 April 2009, 03:36 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Old 27 May 2009, 11:45 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Quite a torrid weekend racing at Pembrey on 16th and 17th May!

Karen was doing really well in Race 1 and was 2nd in the Subaru Cup behind Sam Maher-Loughnan and ahead of Martin White when she was black flagged! Turns out a grid marshal spotted one sleeve on her suit was part way down her right forearm. Instead of telling her to pull it up, he informed the CofC WHO WAITED UNTIL THE RACE WAS NEARLY OVER BEFORE CALLING HER IN!!!

This meant she started Race 2 near the back of the grid and some numpy novice drove into the side of her, locked up her rear wheel and spun them both out of the race. Damage was limited to chewed up spokes on the wheel and a partly mangled front bumper.

(Pictures courtesy of Daniel Gatt.)

This chap was a menace all weekend. He'd already spun out a Suzuki Swift in the same race before tagging Karen.

Myself and a friend fixed the front bumper damage and the car was ready for the final race on the following day. Race 3 saw Karen start near the back again (due to the previous DNF) but have a clean race to go from 16th to 8th overall and 3rd in class behind Sam and Martin.

It's such a shame the official didn't rectify the problem(?) straight away and then she'd have rightly been fighting for class wins in each race instead of being stuck at the back of the grid all weekend.

A video compilation of the racing can be found here:

Cheers,
Rich.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:42 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Karen's classic WRX race car now needs some new parts after an eventful days racing at Silverstone in terrible wet conditions.

Need a new front headlight, sidelight, indicator, repeater indicator, wing, and certainly driver's side doors and possibly also passenger side doors (Depending if I can press them out successfully). Then some more panel beating and paint and a few stickers.

All this occurred in Race 2, where despite the initial shunt and resultant handling problems she managed to battle through all the other incidents to finish 15th overall having started in 17th.

Nippon Challenge Silverstone 06/06/09 Race 2 on Vimeo

I'll post up some still pictures when I get a chance...
Old 08 June 2009, 12:33 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like good (expensive) fun

Good luck to both of you in the forthcoming races.
Old 08 June 2009, 12:34 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like good (expensive) fun

Good luck to both of you in the forthcoming races.
Old 09 June 2009, 11:06 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Pics!

Photos copyright Lance Wittenberg, lancewittenberg.com

Last edited by Squizz; 09 June 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08 March 2010, 12:23 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Redundancy and damage forced us to miss a few rounds last year, but the 2010 season is coming and changes are being made to Rexy in preparation. To help keep up the blistering starts off the grid we're gunna fit an Exedy 5 puck cerametallic clutch and a quickshift. (Quickshift can now be fitted thanks to a rule change).

Tidied up the front end last week:

Rexy had it's first outing this year at Silverstone on 4th March for the Nippon Challenge & Subaru Cup 2010 Launch Day:

Plenty of other scoobs were in attendance, as well as Matt Neals Ex-Touring Car Honda Civic:

Things are still tough thanks to a lower paid job, so we may not get to race at all this year...
Old 28 September 2010, 01:40 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

It's been a bit tough lately with jobs/money worries, but we should be moving towards the light at the end of the tunnel now.

So, the need for a new (MSA scrutineer friendly) rollcage couldn't be met until the money was available. We'll definitely get this sorted soon, in combination with some weight saving measures and various other minor upgrades. :roll:

As it happens, one of the other drivers had been injured and was unable to drive. Karen was offered the chance to drive their car instead. So she's recently competed at Cadwell Park and Mallory Park in the Tengu Do Motorsport car.

Cadwell:

Mallory:

(Karen pictured with Martin White, usual driver of the car and proprietor of Tengu Do Motorsport).

Trophies! FTW!

Quick Reply: Karen's Classic WRX race car