Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My bugeye STi

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2012, 12:55 AM
xjr41
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bugeye STi

Ok, my names Steve, I'm a first time Scooby owner, been ghosting round here a while, reading all the useful posts I can so thought it about time to introduce my prized possession.

My 2002 Impreza STi, with Prodrive pack and super rare factory fitted sunroof!!
Its blue black mica and completely bog standard as it left the factory apart from a few little JDM style extras.

Ok here she is.

And here's the little changes I have made.

It came with a double din tape deck, so first change was the Forester din sized box and a decent CD player.

Then I came across the JDM card holder next to the cup holder, and also changed the black hazard switch for a silver one from a later model.

Complete with V-Power card.

Next little job was to fix all the blown bulbs in the car. At the same time I made the I/C Washer Spray mod to the light.

Next was the washers. When I got the car it had the normal V type spray washers but they were crap, all bunged up and the bottle had loads of filth growing in it. After reading on the forums about cleaning out the bottle, a soak in hot water and bleach, and its as clean as a whistle. Now gets a Milton sterilizing tablet in it every month or two to keep the fungus at bay. Cleaned out the tubes and replaced the original washers with these.

These are the mist type washer jets from a Citroen (I think). Once again a result from the forums! They are brilliant and fit perfectly.

I have also replaced all the bulbs in the headlights with Ultra Performance bulbs from Halfords (BOGOF at the mo), makes a massive difference to the stock bulbs.

Thats it for the moment, next on the list is JDM power folding mirrors.
Old 04 October 2012, 05:13 AM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Very nice choice, that looks a lovely example
Old 04 October 2012, 07:09 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Very nice original car. Nice little touches too .

What are your plans ? Keeping it OE?
Old 04 October 2012, 08:25 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tidy, the best looking front bumper you can get on a bug
Old 04 October 2012, 08:27 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think i have ever seen an sti with a sunroof, post some pictures from the inside please.

is it electric??
Old 04 October 2012, 09:19 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Like that ...well done.
Old 04 October 2012, 09:30 AM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

Is the front grill standard???
your grill appears to be 1 piece including the headlight corners...

or, are the STI grill's different to the WRX grills...

Vik
Old 04 October 2012, 12:22 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its the prodrive grill, the side bits are seperate from the centre grill

wiley
Old 04 October 2012, 01:15 PM
xjr41
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the kind comments, nice to hear the cars appreciated.

Will get some pics tonight of the sunroof and post them up.

The aim is to keep the car as stock as possible, just making little changes through the use of OEM Subaru parts.

Shopping (Wish) list at the moment includes autodip interior mirror, power fold mirrors, bigger wheels, HID's for dipped beam projector.
Old 04 October 2012, 01:38 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by xjr41
Thanks for the kind comments, nice to hear the cars appreciated.

Will get some pics tonight of the sunroof and post them up.

The aim is to keep the car as stock as possible, just making little changes through the use of OEM Subaru parts.

Shopping (Wish) list at the moment includes autodip interior mirror, power fold mirrors, bigger wheels, HID's for dipped beam projector.
good mods, i have fitted the folding mirrors to mine, mainly to get it in the garage.
it requires some extra wiring so pm if you get stuck.
i have ordered a self dipping mirror from the u.s. too it comes with a compass display built in too. sorting the wiring at the minute but is powered from the maplight.

problem with hids now is you will fail the mot unless you fit self levellers and washers.

i have been around subarus for years and have never seen a sunroof in an sti. it has got to be one of the rarest options i have seen
Old 04 October 2012, 03:30 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Lovely bug you got there
Old 04 October 2012, 03:51 PM
xjr41
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
good mods, i have fitted the folding mirrors to mine, mainly to get it in the garage.
it requires some extra wiring so pm if you get stuck.
i have ordered a self dipping mirror from the u.s. too it comes with a compass display built in too. sorting the wiring at the minute but is powered from the maplight.

problem with hids now is you will fail the mot unless you fit self levellers and washers.

i have been around subarus for years and have never seen a sunroof in an sti. it has got to be one of the rarest options i have seen

Not strictly true about the HIDs......

Headlamps are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A).

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
Old 04 October 2012, 04:01 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Not strictly true about the HIDs......

Headlamps are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A).

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
i think the new mot rules changed this year for them.
Old 04 October 2012, 04:12 PM
xjr41
Scooby Newbie

Oh well, I have a 'tame' MOT tester anyway!

Thanks for the offer for the wiring for the mirrors, will defo give you a shout when I have the mirrors in hand.

The auto dip mirror with the compass is what I am after as well. Was going to use the wiring for the sunroof to power it as I thought map lights were permanent 'hot'??

Been reading the history of the car (got it all as it was a one owner car before me). Looks from the original invoice although car was ordered with a sunroof, it was actually a dealer fit accessory, not factory fit.

Sorry for misleading you. It was made by Webasto. The switch doesn't particularly blend into the car so am going to get a Legacy map light surround that had the sunroof switch in it.
Old 04 October 2012, 04:14 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Oh well, I have a 'tame' MOT tester anyway!

Thanks for the offer for the wiring for the mirrors, will defo give you a shout when I have the mirrors in hand.

The auto dip mirror with the compass is what I am after as well. Was going to use the wiring for the sunroof to power it as I thought map lights were permanent 'hot'??

Been reading the history of the car (got it all as it was a one owner car before me). Looks from the original invoice although car was ordered with a sunroof, it was actually a dealer fit accessory, not factory fit.

Sorry for misleading you. It was made by Webasto. The switch doesn't particularly blend into the car so am going to get a Legacy map light surround that had the sunroof switch in it.
you get the mirrors from the us via ebay, they were an option on u.s. cars,there is a bit of info over on nasioc on fitting but its simple enough
Old 04 October 2012, 06:02 PM
xjr41
Scooby Newbie

Yeah seen them on ebay. They are fitted to a lot of cars over there, any of them can fit to the Scooby, just need the adapter kit for the mirror mount. They go really cheap, like $25!!! Just search 'mirror compass' on ebay.com.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/camlock-kit-...&forceRpt=true

Also the USDM cars came with the loom and plug already in the headlining. Can't find one on mine so I guess we don't have them.

Last edited by xjr41; 04 October 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05 October 2012, 08:29 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Excellent mate. Looks spot on.

Steve
Old 05 October 2012, 08:37 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Really nice mate, fancy some twisted skirts myself.