Midlands (England) Midlands Meetings & Events

Bassetts Pole - Tuesday 5-Jun-2001

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2001, 10:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good to see all the guys that turned up (E-B shame you had to leave so early).

Also hi to the Green (wagon) who drove by a couple of times, and the White Legacy (presumably JCM76) who we saw just the once.

Next time we need to arrange a "lost children" point

mb (first, and certainly not his last BP meet)
Old 05 June 2001, 11:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Taster picture...

p.s. And hi also to the Silver saloon who also drove by (we have a picture of you too!!!).

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 05 June 2001).]
Old 06 June 2001, 12:58 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Boomer,

Was up there last night on my RSV-R for a little while. Were you parked over the road from the McDonalds. There was a DBM and Red Scoob, and also a Black one in the car park.
Damn, should've introduced meself! Next time eh!

Matt
Old 06 June 2001, 01:10 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

You got that pic up qic didn't you. I think some people are a bit worried about parking up, but it really is a good night. Everyone is there to have a laugh.

Theres a pub, Mc Donalds and a BBQ

If anyone is thinking of going up any Tuesday put it up in the Midlands meet section then we can look out for you and try to get all of the cars together.

Old 06 June 2001, 06:14 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Sorry i missed out on this one, but i didn`t get home until late, perhaps next week.

Paul
Old 06 June 2001, 11:23 AM
JCM76
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes I did drive past last night, didn't fancy parking half a mile away though...sorry.

I'll get there earlier next time

James
(white Legacy Turbo)
Old 06 June 2001, 01:57 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
boomer - catch up with you next time!

Richard (Black WRX)
Old 06 June 2001, 06:36 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

MattOz,

you must have been there early, as the black Scooby had to leave, and the Red and DBM were joined by another DBM in front of the (locked) gateway about 07:35.

We stood opposite though, for a better view (of the road - not our cars ).

mb
Old 06 June 2001, 06:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

Another teaser...

BTW, the long black line on the road was caused by some (rich!) nutter who must have melted 3mm of tread from his rear tyre as he slowly (front brake on) pulled away

More piccies (20-odd) when i get around to it!

mb
Old 06 June 2001, 07:34 PM
ChrisB

Boomer, is that on the A38 roundabout? The section the bike is on leads down to the Belfry and is single line?

Just wondering if I recognise it.

Chris.
Old 06 June 2001, 08:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

ChrisB,

you are dead right. The roundabout joins the A38, A446 (towards the Belfry), Sutton Coldfield and Tamworth - and soon the BNRR!

There is also the National Paintball Fields and some powerboat company (don't ask me why, as it is miles from the sea!).

The McDonalds (on the right, just out of shot) which used to be Chicanes, a cafe-bar, which initially attracted bikers (plus other motorsport peeps), but when they went under, Ronald took over. A thousand people every Tuesday must up their takings at tad!!

I only live a few miles away, but this was my first visit to the Tuesday meet (it has been going for a few years) and i was very impressed.

mb
Old 06 June 2001, 09:54 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

There is a briliant atmosphere there although wouldn't like to be standing where the bloke near the lens is, unless things have calmed down big time since last summer (think grooves in the road, not just rubber!)
Old 08 June 2001, 01:13 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

It has camed down a bit since last year, plod takes part most weeks in the car park giving out advice on riding courses.

Everyone still gives there bike/car a blast or burnout but no standing up/out of controll action.
Old 08 June 2001, 05:02 PM
neil@wrx
Scooby Regular

HI ALL
NEXT WEEK THEN ?
1900 AT Mcdoos
Black WRX L17WRX
Old 08 June 2001, 05:48 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil - I'll do my best to be there!

Richard (Black WRX A** SPE).
Old 08 June 2001, 08:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Red face

Oh dear, the local scare-stories are starting. Don't be put off by the following, as the article is _ever so_ one sided.

From the Sutton Coldfield Observer (Friday 8-Jun-2001)...

Police appeal as motorbike meet returns to area

<B>Biker rally is 'an accident waiting to happen'</B>

<I>'The bike problem is returning on a Tuesday night at the Bassett's Pole where a lot of people are coming along to watch and it is causing tremendous problems for us'</I>

by Ben Bentley
Crime Reporter

Police are attempting to put the breaks on the return of mass biker rallies in Sutton, fearing a potentially tragic accident is waiting to happen.

Traffic officers have warned thousands of onlookers who flock to the Bassett's Pole meetings they are putting their lives at risk by congregating just yards from where some riders of high powered machines perform stunts.

Acting Sergeant Andy Collins, of Sutton traffic division, this week said he is liasing with forces from
Staffordshire and Warwickshire, which border the area, in a bid to avert the hazard.

"The bike problem is returning on a Tuesday night at the Bassett's Pole where a lot of people are coming along to watch and it is causing tremendous problems for us," he said.

"There is no disorder but we have got to prevent people from going there to spectate.

"One or two people are doing stunts and it only takes one rider to go into the crowd to cause a tragic accident and we want to urge people not to spectate at these events.

"If we can prevent the on-lookers going along the problem would be much less dangerous."

And Sgt Collins added motorists flocking to the meetings are posing a danger to other road users.

He said they are clogging main routes around the area by illegally lining nearby main roads such as the A446 with parked vehicles.

Last summer traffic police carried out spot checks on riders' machines and found a number had illegal registration plates and headlamps.

However, officers are keen to avoid inflaming the situation and say they are only interested in road safety

Old 08 June 2001, 08:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Here is a slightly more balanced viewpoint from the Sutton Coldfield News...

<B>Softly does it on bike dangers</B>

<I>Police to act after motorcycling gatherings resume</I>

by Steve Bradley

Three police forces are to mount more of a softly-softly joint operation to clamp down on motorcyclists who ride dangerously at a Bassetts Pole bikers' gathering.

The warm, dry weather has led to a resumption of weekly rallies attended by thousands near to the former Chicanes Motor Sport Bar.

Police from the West Midlands, Staffordshire and Warwickshire are worried that the occasional stunts carried out could endanger the lives of riders and spectators who line the roads around the traffic island.

They will launch their joint initiative today. PC Andy Collins of Sutton Coldfield traffic police said the Tuesday evening rallies also had a knock-on effect for residents of Belwell Lane, Mere Green who have reported speeding bikers performing wheelies and other stunts outside their homes.

He monitored traffic in the road this week, and noted both cars and bikes travelling at 60mph, showing off to customers sitting outside Flints Wine Bar.

He said: "There were a lot of bikes exceeding the speed limit, but I didn't see any stunts. As soon as I got there they must have shut up shop. But the message to bikers is that if they are caught speeding, we will prosecute them."

Last year, the police also had complaints about speeding bikers in Walsall Road, Streetly Lane, Mere Green Road and Slade Road on rally nights.

Between 1,500 and 2,000 bikes are estimated to attend the meetings. Police will adopt a more softly-softly approach, following criticism of their response by motorcycling organisations and publications last year.

PC Collins said: "You get spectators lining both sides of the roads near the island as well as the central reservations, and our fear is that someone will fall off doing a stunt while they are racing around the corner, say on the A446, and plough into a group of spectators."

A spokesman for Staffordshire Police, who are co-ordinating the operation, said the focus would be on educating participants on road safety, and taking action to stop bad parking near the rally site.

Old 09 June 2001, 11:50 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wrx:
<B>Three police forces just to stop people for illegal number plates mmmmmmmmm. Its good to know my tax is been well spent.[/quote]

But don't you see, according to the first article "However, officers are keen to avoid inflaming the situation and say they are only interested in road safety" - you can get a nasty injury from a mis-spaced number plate

I love the author of the first article as well - Ben Bentley <B>Crime Reporter</B>. Since when has standing in a public place been an offence? As for <I>acting</I> Sergeant Andy Collins - could they not get a real one?

2000 Big Macs meals is a lot of money - so i am sure that Ronald will have some influence on things!

mb
Old 09 June 2001, 12:44 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Three police forces just to stop people for illegal number plates mmmmmmmmm. Its good to know my tax is been well spent.

Why are the stories so one sided, if they interviewed some of us they would get a better picture. The police have been attending and monitoring since the start of the warm weather, they just chat and let everyone have a good time (letting kids sit on their bikes with lights flashing etc). Papers can get it soooooo wrong.

It'll probably get more people there now just to see what the papers are talking about. See you all on Tuesday then.

Old 11 June 2001, 08:51 AM
Hardy
Scooby Regular

What is the best time to get there? Where do you park?
Old 11 June 2001, 11:05 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Best time to get there is around seven. We try and park opposite mc donalds, then you can leave when you want to. The earlier you are the better choice of parking, if you see mine park up and I'll try to move a bit to get you in.

Boomer you coming, if so give us a bell if I don't see you(although I'll probably find you at the BBQ)

Etheridge bird, you gonna stay a bit later.

Scoop are you coming to mine, leave your car and come up with me & John?

Hope the weather's good now
Old 12 June 2001, 07:05 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Matt will try to make it m8, give u a call later,

Cheers
SCOOP

[This message has been edited by SCOOP (edited 12 June 2001).]
Old 12 June 2001, 10:58 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

wrx - cannot make it tonight as I have to go to my brother-in-laws 31st birthday.

Hope you have a good evening - in Saturday's Express & Star the front page had an article that the Police were to stop 'Verge Parking' on Tuesday night's.

Richard.
Old 12 June 2001, 04:51 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Well if you are thinking of going along tonight - GET THERE EARLY!!!!!

I just drove past, and there are cones (courtesy of Rugby police) up and down the A446.

Even the gateway where we parked last time had cones, but i saw a Police Officer and pulled over. I asked him whether it would be ok to park in the gateway this evening, as it was not immediately "roadside", and was probably even private land.

He first asked me why i would want to come along - and i said lots of people do.

He then explained that if we parked in the gateway, then we would probably get a ticket!

There followed a brief discussion about the fact that someone could die tonight, including innocent bystanders. He spoke from his heart (20 years service) that you would not want to witness such an event - and i understood his point.

Then he basically said "the Police are going to close this down!".

Thus (my words now), COME ALONG as tonight it may be the last event (although i seriously doubt it).

Although there are a few nutters at any event, it is after all, a free country - and this kind of attitude from the Police did (does) upset me.

The Police can _easily_ stop any dangerous drivers, and make the evening fun for all (families, your and old attend, as well as bikers). However, they would rather use the big stick approach!

I asked if there was going to be a visible Police presence tonight, and he replied about 25 officers. I said that was good, as they can actually get involved with the event, rather than sneaking by in unmarked cars in snooping in helicopters. He did not make any comment about my statement, and implied that the Police would not be particularly chatty (which in my opinion defeats the object of a visible presence).

However what REALLY upset me, and i need to be careful what i say here, is that one of the managers of a local business had not had such a relaxed chat. I won't repeat his actual words here (but i will if you turn up tonight, indeed i may even have another chat with him) - but suffice to say he will probably be taking this further with his management.

Come along, be safe, and stand up for you rights of freedom to have a burger at a restaurant of your choice!

As i left, i watched a truck with it's yellow warning lights laying more cones down the Tamworth Road.

Seeya all later

mb
Old 12 June 2001, 05:11 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Glad to see 25% of the population voted for Blair so we can lose even more liberty!

May just pop along, what time is kick off?
Old 12 June 2001, 05:46 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Angry

The police do this once every year, they have to really because the papers would slate them if there was a death. But its the way they go about it that is anoying, the money they will make in fines from numberplates will cover thier expenditure, and they don't usually do anyone for dangerous driving. They will set up road blocks on each dual carrigeway and stop every biker then do a full check to make sure its road legal (no decatted exhausts).

They did this once last year then it was back to normal the following week.

Anyway anyone going get there for seven, then you'll get a space in mc donalds.

Old 12 June 2001, 06:08 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Right, on my way.

Full compliment of sarcastic comments are prepared. Hope the police only stop bikes for de-catted exhausts.

May have to play the "Dealer did it so I doubt it is illegal, officer" card!! I have used my luck quota this year so probably wont get away with it.

See ya all in an hour or so.
Old 12 June 2001, 06:29 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

ON me way see you all there. If they have roadside emmisions tester I'll try to flame it.
Old 12 June 2001, 06:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Meetoo, chocks away!

seeya all either in the McCarPark or the Bassetts Pole Pub car-park in 10 mins.

mb
Old 12 June 2001, 11:21 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Understanding lot those bikers. Parked the car round the back of MaccieD's for over 2 hours and did not bother to lock it. DOH.

Quick Reply: Bassetts Pole - Tuesday 5-Jun-2001