Notices
Midlands (England) Midlands Meetings & Events

So who is up for a run to Scotland soon?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2001, 04:58 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really missing going up there for meets (and the after run curries )

I am booked on the Tour D'Ecosse, anyone who is interested in that contact John Stewart, not too sure how many rooms are still available.......

But I just fancy a run up, stop over and run back to meet up with the Scooby and Elise lot up there.

Any takers?

Michelle.

(Pining for the Highlands )
Old 30 June 2001, 05:09 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Oh and bit of a whinge now, I hate working Saturday nights

I am having an acute episode of workitis and Saturday night Party Fever and feel it should be cured by a night out clubbing

But, I don't get paid to go clubbing

Oh well,

Off to work

Michelle.
Old 30 June 2001, 05:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Funnily enough, there was a Visit Scotland section is today's Torygraph. I had me thinking that there must be some good roads up there.

There was a reference to
Old 30 June 2001, 05:34 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Michelle,

I'd be up for it. There are some fantastic roads up there.Took my old Scoob up there on the first day I got her.

WOW!!!

Amanda
Old 30 June 2001, 05:49 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

You trying to use 5 years of the world's reserves of petrol in a couple of months Michelle?

I think I'll be working Sat 21st July, but otherwise driving + curry = me going.

I'm sure our Scottish ScoobyNet / SIDC friends can help us out here.

I can see my house deposit I've saved up going on Super UL instead though. Still, as the old saying goes, you can't drive a house.

ChrisB.
{Booked on the Tour D'Ecosse as well.}
Old 30 June 2001, 06:46 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Scotland AND Scoobies - now there's a combination! Count me in!

Chris
Old 30 June 2001, 07:07 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Scotland, superb roads, superb scenery, 2 weeks after NMC1, overnighter or 2, sounds fantastic to me. count me in
Old 30 June 2001, 08:11 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Blimey Guys.... It's probably not a good time for you lot, but i'm off up there for a few days R 'n' R on Monday, and go and see the Scottish half of our family... (The McTrousers)

I will think of you all, as the straight thru 'zorst bounces off the rolling hills in sympathy with the rapidly descending fuel gauge ... but hey...

I'll be there next time tho!

Cheers

Hamish McTrouser
Old 30 June 2001, 08:24 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I have fond memories of my last visit ! but will have to get a better car before i can go again heheheh
Old 01 July 2001, 06:33 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Ian, are you sure they were fond? I seem to remember you being quiet on a few occaisions round some corners.......lift off!!!! Oh ****e where has the road gone????? 100mph and a tight downhill right close your eyes and hope for the best!!!!!

Well, I know a good hotel to stop at, I think August or September will be more suitable than July as I am fully booked for July.........

A word of warning, these will be long routes....I go up there and make the most of it, expect 300 mile routes..........and they are worth it.

Michelle.
Old 01 July 2001, 09:39 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I was only quiet so i didnt distract you from what you were doing Michelle

Do you honestly think i would have got back in the car with you if i had a problem !!!
Old 01 July 2001, 10:44 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I also know a nice hotel, centrally located, just off the A9, not too expensive, nice beer/food.

As for long routes, how about Inverness - Ullapool - up to the top then back down to Lairg - Inverness [Thats a 'reasonable' day's worth]

I haven't been up there in the Scoob yet, so I can't wait!

Chris

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 01 July 2001).]
Old 01 July 2001, 05:15 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

That's great,

I can get the details of the long run on the last Tour D'Ecosse (this may even give me a head start on this years)

Warning - it is in excess of 700 miles which is obviously a 2 dayer. I have not done this route and it includes Fort William, Ullapool etc.

I can also use the recent Tut Towers weekend route which I did do and includes the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen in my life. I will let this one remain secret as I would love to do it again. There is a great hotel on the route too.

Either way both routes will put a smile on your faces.

So thoughts peeps and when are the best dates?

Michelle.
Old 01 July 2001, 05:25 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Oh and the Tut towers route contains the 15 mile section where I managed to ruin a brand nnew set of Toyos on 15 inch rims The car was going sideways on nearly every corner.......brought a smile to my face as well as Ian's....that was fun....I am going to HAVE to do that again, fancy paxing Ian again or are you going for it yourself?

Michelle.
Old 01 July 2001, 07:04 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

700 miles! Better pack a case or two of Red Bull!

What about getting up towards the Scottish border on Friday night and stopping over in a Travel Lodge (cheap but nice)? An early start (about 10am-ish ) should see us well on our way 'up North.

August sounds better than July for me, though I'll have a look at the calender at work tommorow and see what's on.

{Edit to say the 11th August is the Southern Softies Shandy run, 12th being Alton Towers, so probably rules out that weekend.}

ChrisB.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 01 July 2001).]
Old 01 July 2001, 08:24 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Michelle, wouldnt mind pax'ing again depends when it is, and what happens car wise ! the Audi wouldnt keep up, no matter how hard i pushed it, as it doesnt have the power

Will 2nd that route as a possible though after spending a week up there post tut towers visit in a vectra hire car for work, found some fantastic roads, was entertaining in the vectra although not very quick
Old 01 July 2001, 08:55 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Michelle
the weekend of Aug 18th and 25th is best for me. Friday night and Saturday night stopovers seems best to me. I can recommend going on 'the finest drive in Britain ?', see
Old 01 July 2001, 09:50 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Thanks Michael, I will have a look....Ian we need to get together to plan the route, I would like a deviation from the full Tut run, depends on feedback from peeps as to the length etc and also would like to look at the routes you took, anyone else got an input re the route or where they would like it to go?

I was even thinking of splitting it up and having crossover meet points what do you think?

I will see what weekend I am available........can other peeps please do the same?

I need to get in touch with some hotels to check prices and availability.

Who else wants Chris' idea of stopping over before the border?

Lets get this on the road

Michelle.
Old 01 July 2001, 10:10 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

OK Michelle, i am going to be busy next weekend or i would come up to the nottingham meet! I will have a look at my map and note down the roads i used, and try to piece together some of the tut weekend routes as well

I think splitting it up, if there will be a large group is the safest way to go !

hehehehe, we ended up doing over 700 miles in the week, about twice what it should have been had to drive some of the roads twice ya see
Old 01 July 2001, 10:19 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Super Slider, that looks absolutely awesome! I'll be up for a bit of that please.

Are there any garages with SUL on the route?

As a side note, Sunday 19th is the proposed date of the Cambridge Ring run. Hmm, Cambridge or Scotland? No contest I'm afraid!

Either weekend (18/19 or 25/26) looks good to me though at the moment. I've just started entering all these dates in the calender in Outlook so I don't forget!

ChrisB.

PS. I vote for my idea of stopping near the border. If people can't get the Friday off work, it avoids a crack of dawn start on the Saturday to get up the M6.
Old 02 July 2001, 12:59 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Yep, that's one of the routes! 'O'er the hill to Applecross'

I don't think we need to start thinking of splitting into multiple routes yet, theres not enough of us to worry! As it will involve booking something you can bet a lot of people will cry off (A fickle bunch are we not?)

If you want a stop on the way up we could turn left at the border & head for Dumfries, as the Galloway Forest would make a lovelly start to the weekend

Michelle; We can compare maps on the Notts meet & I will send you links to some the hotels I have used - the good ones that is.

Chris
Now where's my diary?
Old 02 July 2001, 09:37 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ian Cook:
<B>OK Michelle, i am going to be busy next weekend or i would come up to the nottingham meet! I will have a look at my map and note down the roads i used, and try to piece together some of the tut weekend routes as well

I think splitting it up, if there will be a large group is the safest way to go !

hehehehe, we ended up doing over 700 miles in the week, about twice what it should have been had to drive some of the roads twice ya see [/quote]

I have a few thoughts towards the Tut Towers route and breaking it up would be the way to go. That way drivers who don't want to drive fast or those who are a bit unsure of themselves can drive one, and the *loonies* can take the other route. This will involve stops for scenery (picture taking ) and catch up points.
From our last experience in Scotland large groups are a no no.

Ian, mail me your ideas, I have been sitting with a map all night at work!!!! Done no work just planned different routes!

I need to know the limits of drivers - 200 miles, 300, 400??? Give me a number to play with....

Michelle.
Old 02 July 2001, 12:56 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Chris
did'nt really notice where SUL was sold but you could try
Old 07 July 2001, 06:44 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Looks like the 16th is headed for a possible confirmation date here.

So far

Me
ChrisB
Super Slider
Mellow Yellow !

Anybody else?
Old 07 July 2001, 08:46 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Ill be a possible, i may be in the States that weekend though !!!

I will get those routes to you this weekend Michelle sorry been busy !

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 07 July 2001).]
Old 07 July 2001, 09:20 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Ian you can't!!!!!

You HAVE to turn up!!!!

Remember the last one? All those great runs, getting wheel squeal round every corner, LOTS of dodgy understeer, nearly losing it in the mud after Simon's house, lift off and lots of bounce on the 15's (OMG it won't STOP bouncing!!!), brakes fading at 120mph coming up to a rather dodgy corner following Paul (with no pad material left after!!!)......need I say more, bring yours along if you have it yet........and lets get rolling

I really can't wait

We will be doing the Duke's Pass too, seperate the drivers from the wannabes

Michelle.......

Old 07 July 2001, 09:37 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, with an invite like that how could i not go

Well the tickets for the states arent booked yet ! so i will try to move it back a week, i was planning on being there on the weekend of the 9th for a rally, but can maybe go out the weekend before that, need to check though !

Oh mailed the roads i drove to your hotmail, not sure which of your accounts is actually working at the moment !

Old 07 July 2001, 09:40 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Well, don't miss that rally, piccies stright across to me of course
Say hello to Jamie if you see her from me, and do your damndest to be back for the 15th/16th......are you on the Tour?
Old 07 July 2001, 09:45 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I will be seeing Jamie its why i am going ! will definitely say hello

Still not sure about the tour ! want to go ! just depends on so many things at the moment !

Michelle, You have my mobile number, give me a bell if you want to discuss the routes or anything ! i am always worried about phoning you cos of the shifts you are on (was going to say shift pattern but there doesnt appear to be any pattern to it )!