Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ribeye

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2014, 01:05 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ribeye

Ok so I have bought this from my local butcher and it has always been lovely, tried some from Tesco and it was dire. WTF do they do to their meat for it to be so different. Same cut should always be similar surely
Old 06 June 2014, 01:11 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt Tesco or any other supermarket hang the meat for 28 days - No time for that carry on, cut its throat and get it on the shelf... To be fair, Asda's meat is top notch - A friend of mine who's a chef highly recommends it. Never had a bad steak yet from there. the olny other place I tried was Morrison s - utter ****.
Old 06 June 2014, 02:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

did you let the Tesco meat get to room temp before cooking
Old 06 June 2014, 02:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Most supermarket meat is crap as it's not hung properly nor long enough. For best results the meat should be dry aged for 28+ days.

Meat should be room temp when cooked and cooked very quickly on a red hot cast iron pan. If slow cooked it will toughen. Lightly oil the meat, not the pan before cooking.

Once cooking do not move or turn the meat until it will freely release from the pan. Only turn once. Leave to rest for a few minutes before serving for the perfect steak.
Old 06 June 2014, 02:39 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
did you let the Tesco meat get to room temp before cooking
Yes and then let it rest for a good ten minutes, cooked medium rare
Old 06 June 2014, 02:43 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Most supermarket meat is crap as it's not hung properly nor long enough. For best results the meat should be dry aged for 28+ days.

Meat should be room temp when cooked and cooked very quickly on a red hot cast iron pan. If slow cooked it will toughen. Lightly oil the meat, not the pan before cooking.

Once cooking do not move or turn the meat until it will freely release from the pan. Only turn once. Leave to rest for a few minutes before serving for the perfect steak.
I coated the steak with a little olive oil infused with garlic and did as you suggest re turning it just once, thanks for your input guys
Old 06 June 2014, 04:41 PM
andylinney
Scooby Regular

Once had a bit of input from a TV chef who suggested exactly what was suggested re the oiling and cast iron pan but gave a bit of a hint re the best time to turn it - as the blood and juices start to pool on the raw side, flip it - those juices then get pushed back up through the meat. Then once you see them on the cooked side, off the pan and rest. Heaven...
Old 06 June 2014, 05:11 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andylinney
Once had a bit of input from a TV chef who suggested exactly what was suggested re the oiling and cast iron pan but gave a bit of a hint re the best time to turn it - as the blood and juices start to pool on the raw side, flip it - those juices then get pushed back up through the meat. Then once you see them on the cooked side, off the pan and rest. Heaven...
Old 06 June 2014, 08:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Personally I think medium rare does not work for rib eye as doesn't allow that big chunk of fat to cook properly and impart its flavour.

I have had some excellent sirloins from sainsburys and equally some bad steaks from expensive farm shops so spending a lot doesn't always get the best results.
Old 06 June 2014, 09:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Ribeye is my favourite steak and its more about where its from that makes it taste soo good. Aberdeen angus ribeye is always the most expensive but its the best.

British ribeye is very good as well and is only a smidge tougher when cooked but once you start going into all the foreign meats it just gets tougher and tougher.

Polish isn't too bad but is twice as tough as the British steak but its ok for how cheap it is. God knows where Tesco buys their steak from as last time I looked ribeye was something like £20 a kilo but if you go to Makro the crappy Polish ribeye is £10.99 a kilo.
Old 06 June 2014, 09:36 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I bought a Brazilian ribeye joint from Makro got about 10 steaks from it and only worked out a couple of quid per steak. I individually bagged & sealed each steak and left in the fridge for a week or so until all the juices had gone a deep purple (enzymes breaking everything down). Then cooked a couple and froze the rest. Served with a nice brandy peppercorn sauce, homemade crinkle chips and fried onions...

I always intend on cooking medium rare but normally end up medium! I find a good mature steak should have a lovely sweat caramel aroma when raw.
Old 06 June 2014, 09:54 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

My local Makro is now selling Polish steak, not tried it yet

Originally Posted by modrich
I bought a Brazilian ribeye joint from Makro got about 10 steaks from it and only worked out a couple of quid per steak. I individually bagged & sealed each steak and left in the fridge for a week or so until all the juices had gone a deep purple (enzymes breaking everything down). Then cooked a couple and froze the rest. Served with a nice brandy peppercorn sauce, homemade crinkle chips and fried onions...

I always intend on cooking medium rare but normally end up medium! I find a good mature steak should have a lovely sweat caramel aroma when raw.
Old 06 June 2014, 10:01 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Tesco's meat is manky anyway. Sainsbury's is supposed to be much better, but you normally can't beat fresh from a butcher
Old 07 June 2014, 06:59 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Having had som nice French rib eye last night cooked French style - medium "raw". I have to say the more rare, the better

But it's difficult to get good meat in the UK that is as good, even at the butchers. If you do find a good butcher, make sure you let him know it's good, otherwise he might stop stocking it. Supermarkets? Forget it.

However do not use olive oil. For cooking - defeats the point of it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 June 2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07 June 2014, 09:33 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that you should use butter, not oil, so that's what I use.

Get steak out of fridge a few hours before and season with a steak mix shaker, heat the pan up and dollop a big spoonful of butter and wait for it to melt, place steak in pan and cook for 1 min 30 sec's (depending on size) on each side, do not handle it too much, take out of pan and place on chopping board and cover with tin foil to allow it to rest while you dish up all the other food.

This method works for me every time. You can also buy special seasoned butters as well which I sometimes use instead of plain butter. Oh and don't forget the peppercorn sauce .

I always go for Tesco Finest steaks and to be honest, I can't tell the difference between the steaks from the Finest range or some much more expensive butcher steaks. I think you get a good balance between price and quality from the Tesco Finest range.

Last edited by LSherratt; 07 June 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07 June 2014, 12:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Luke, try mixing a little cooking oil. sunflower or groundnut with your butter to raise the smoking point, it will stop the butter burning so easily then
Old 07 June 2014, 02:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Oooh, er, this looks interesting?

Roll on Thuirsday

mb
Old 07 June 2014, 02:49 PM
andylinney
Scooby Regular

If you're feeling like treating yourself then a bit of truffle infused oil really lifts the flavour and if you're especially flush a couple of fine truffle shavings - only had the proper stuff a few times but wow!
Old 07 June 2014, 05:49 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

However do not use olive oil. For cooking - defeats the point of it.
That's true of Extra Virgin and Sesame Oil. Normal Olive oil is absutely fine for cooking with.
Old 07 June 2014, 06:30 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Oooh, er, this looks interesting?

Roll on Thuirsday

mb
Cheers for that my friend, much appreciated. Thanks for all the comments guys, it seems we all have our own way of doing Ribeye. Gotta give that Wagyu a go!!!!!
Old 07 June 2014, 06:31 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've read that you should use butter, not oil, so that's what I use.

I have tried lots of types of steak and I have found out its not how you cook it its the cut of meat. We cook our steaks on the George Formby grill and once the grill is up to temp 2 minutes 40 seconds' ish does a cracking rare steak on a 10oz lump.

There is no oil or anything and the steak is perfect with a 5 minute rest in tin foil.
Old 07 June 2014, 08:20 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
. Gotta give that Wagyu a go!!!!!
Definitely try it to tick it off the list but be aware that it is very much an aquired taste. You can source Australian and Welsh versions too. It's incredibly expensive generally for what it is and has a very distinct flavour. I've cooked it 3, maybe 4 times for a client and it wasn't for me but they loved it.

For good value for money from a local butcher, try asking for a Hanger steak. Also known as a Butcher's steak or, in pubs, a Bavette steak (passed off as an expensive cut at around £18 plus a head but is actually an offal cut with a fancy name). Has to be cooked Rare. Medium rare at a push! Very tender, very little sinew and ideal in thin slices when served.

I'd only source from a local butcher that also sources locally. Supermarket stuff is terrible to be honest. I'd have been happy with it(well I was happy enough with it) prior to cooking for a living but have since been better educated on it and only buy meat personally and professionally from three good local butchers. It may cost more but if I eat meat once a week instead of every day it's worth the extra outlay.

Not everyone can afford the fashionable cuts and I pick a good rump steak over a mass market Sirloin any day of the week......but everyone has their own taste/preference.

Cooking to times is fine under controlled conditions i.e. In expensive water baths like we use at work, but for best results keep having a go and cook by touch rather than time. You can use your fingers and thumb pinch together to gauge how cooked meat is. Prod the flesh of the bottom of your thumb and compare it to your steak. Little finger to thumb is well done, ring finger to thumb medium well, middle finger to thumb medium rare and forefinger to thumb is rare. When resting meat is still cooking in it's own residual heat too so if you want it rare at service don't just pull it at rare and rest it as it can go slighly over. All comes with practice though.

Personally, I think it's great when people have a go at proper cooking and binning the packet stuff off. It's nice experimenting with stuff and pleasing your own palet. It's even better when you ask your butcher or fishmonger for recommendations too. You learn a lot from these people. Plus the education is free. You were buying the food regardless.......

Supermarkets have their place and uses but for quality meat/fish I'd leave it to the experts. There would be less waste, better service, better quality food and people would be less robotic with the way that they eat especially if they have to work just that bit harder to go get it.
Old 07 June 2014, 09:11 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when the Government banned Ribeye (and T Bone) ..........

Shaun
Old 07 June 2014, 11:18 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
Luke, try mixing a little cooking oil. sunflower or groundnut with your butter to raise the smoking point, it will stop the butter burning so easily then
Cheers, I will try that next time . I do steak most Friday nights.
Old 07 June 2014, 11:33 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I remember when the Government banned Ribeye (and T Bone) ..........

Shaun
T bone is the best of both worlds the bigger bit on the T is the sirloin cut the smaller bit is the fillet cut. T bones for this reason are usually a bit thinner approx 1/2" to 3/4" inch thick
Old 08 June 2014, 09:01 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

For some reason, and I don't know why, the best ribeye I've had at home was from Sainsbury's. Heated griddle with a little oil and some steakhouse pepper on the steak. Cooked to about medium and it was sublime. Tried 3/4 good local butchers and it just wasn't the same. So if I fancy a steak now I look to buy it from Sainsbury's as they are brilliant.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:11 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My butcher has got me into cooking meat in the oven, he said I shouldn't grill or fry. It's taken a bit of practice but my ribs and steaks are on another level now, the meat just melts in your mouth along with the fat, never had better cooked meat anywhere than what I do myself at home, In fact I avoid eating out as much as possible because it just makes me angry that people who cook for a living haven't got a bloody clue and I generally begrudge paying for it.

P.s I eat black and white truffles all year round, for free and i'll be training my own truffle dog this year.
Old 08 June 2014, 09:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Heat the whole oven up to 200 degrees for one steak seems quite extravagant though.

Nobody has mentioned knocking seven bells of ****e out if it yet before cooking
Old 08 June 2014, 09:45 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Tesco = Sh1te........
Old 08 June 2014, 09:46 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually bung some roasties, yorkshires and stuffed shrooms in as well.

But to be fair with the price of a couple of good steaks these days I want to make sure I get the most enjoyment out of it as is possible along with some decent red wine, beats going to a fancy restaurant and taking pot luck as well as spending 3/4 times the amount.

Quick Reply: Ribeye