Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday for the misses?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2014, 08:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Holiday for the misses?

It's my wifes 30th this year (god I'm getting old) anyway, I'm looking for somewhere to take her (not up the ****) in Aug with my 3 and 5 year old.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £1000, as I've plans for house renovations and personally think holidays are a waste of money.

Any thoughts?
Old 19 June 2014, 10:41 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
It's my wifes 30th this year (god I'm getting old) anyway, I'm looking for somewhere to take her (not up the ****) in Aug with my 3 and 5 year old.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £1000, as I've plans for house renovations and personally think holidays are a waste of money.

Any thoughts?

Why do you think holidays are a waste of money? Genuinely curious.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 19 June 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 19 June 2014, 10:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got to agree, holidays are a waste of money and boring, but traveling is fun.
Old 20 June 2014, 12:59 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lake District is nice
Cotswolds also nice
Avoid Blackpool. It's a shoitehole
Edinburgh is nice
Northern Ireland is lovely (anywhere near the giants causeway is good)
Avoid Dagenham
Avoid Slough
Avoid Reading
Rye is bloody lovely despite proximity to Hastings.
Old 20 June 2014, 06:23 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Got to agree, holidays are a waste of money and boring, but traveling is fun.

It's not difficult to combine both
Old 20 June 2014, 06:57 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Lake District is nice
Cotswolds also nice
Avoid Blackpool. It's a shoitehole
Edinburgh is nice
Avoid Dagenham
Avoid Slough
Avoid Reading
Rye is bloody lovely despite proximity to Hastings.
I've heard Edinburgh is nice, but staying where? Hotel, cabin? tent?
Old 20 June 2014, 07:04 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
It's not difficult to combine both
True to an extent, but I prefer to go off the beaten track especially if I have done a long haul flight to get there with all the expense that involves, I don't see the point of sitting on a beach or by a pool, half a day of that is more than enough for me.

Even then with all the travelling I have done over the last 20yrs or so I could have a Porsche 3.2 RS sat in the garage ( nearly bought one 15yrs ago was up for £12k ) Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it at the time but just 2 of my trips 10 weeks in India, a month in New Zealand would have paid for that, looking back I'd rather have the 911. Jebega. (croatian swear word)
Old 20 June 2014, 07:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

True to an extent, but I prefer to go off the beaten track especially if I have done a long haul flight to get there with all the expense that involves, I don't see the point of sitting on a beach or by a pool, half a day of that is more than enough for me.

Even then with all the travelling I have done over the last 20yrs or so I could have a Porsche 3.2 RS sat in the garage ( nearly bought one 15yrs ago was up for £12k ) Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it at the time but just 2 of my trips 10 weeks in India, a month in New Zealand would have paid for that, looking back I'd rather have the 911. Jebega. (croatian swear word)
So what you're saying is .. don't get her a holiday, buy myself a car.. I like that idea.. 1k will get me an 14 Plate Impreza these days.
Old 20 June 2014, 07:34 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You seem to be under the impression that a "holiday" is simply "package hell", traveling with people, who all seem to wear 3qtr length trousers and football shirts (even though ther look like they could not run more than 10 yards) and seem to continually shout at their children, to a vast complex full of severely burnt people sitting by a pool

Who's only thought is how they are going to rape the all inclusive bar and buffet

To get real value for money

Well, speak for yourself as i/we have never been on one of those

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 June 2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 20 June 2014, 07:34 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 2 young kids in the equation you have To consider them also
And value for money
Blackpool would be ideal
Yes some of our well heeled single scoobynetters say it's a sh** hole but for a cheap family break the kids would love it on the beach and shops and amusement places and the zoo

No point taking the kids to expensive places when they are happy with the sand ,sea and donkeys
Old 20 June 2014, 07:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Butlins Scunthorpe
Old 20 June 2014, 08:13 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking about a motorhome rental ?
Old 20 June 2014, 08:57 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Absolutely.
The Glens of Antrim/Antrim cost is great.
Just don't visit in July - as the natives become restless during this month

For info, the coastguard have to rescue many people from the Giants causeway every year due to the rope bridge.
Basically if its a bit windy, they cross the bridge and are too afraid to return back again!
Old 20 June 2014, 09:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.bluestonewales.com/

Just down the road from me. Bit like Centre Parcs but not quite so much of rip off.

These are on the doorstep

http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/
http://www.folly-farm.co.uk/
http://www.annaswelshzoo.co.uk/

Plus others.

Bosherston lilly ponds (great walk and the beach just appears!)
Porthgain and Abereiddy - You can walk between the two but its a bit of a trek for little ones and a bit close to cliff edges. Drive to both, eat in Porthgain and see actual blue lagoon in Abereiddy.

Genuinely lots to do.

When the weather is great and your on the beach you'll honestly wonder why you'd ever get on a plane again.
Old 20 June 2014, 09:28 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

York
Old 20 June 2014, 04:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I found a nice motorhome, £952 for a week.

Spoke to them and they want £1250 deposit for insurance excess. hmmm
Old 20 June 2014, 06:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I found a nice motorhome, £952 for a week.

Spoke to them and they want £1250 deposit for insurance excess. hmmm
Take her and children to the glam city Paris by plane. A grand would suffice to spend 3 days or so, and loads of interesting things to see/places to visit. I think your kids would be half ticket on plane, yes? I don't know what concessions they offer for little ones' air tickets these days.

Don't rough around in a motor home with kids n' all for celebrating her big birthday, man.
Old 20 June 2014, 06:20 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

(Sorry Pimmo but going off topic a bit)

I must say personally I couldn't disagree more. It's the time I've spent travelling whether it be with mates, my wife or now my wife and kids that I hold most precious. These moments I'll take to the grave and savour when I'm an incontinent, demented stroked out wreck.

No car, no matter how exotic, would mean anywhere near as much to me as those experiences and memories.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, we all have a different perspective on things.
Old 20 June 2014, 07:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I must say personally I couldn't disagree more. It's the time I've spent travelling whether it be with mates, my wife or now my wife and kids that I hold most precious. These moments I'll take to the grave and savour when I'm an incontinent, demented stroked out wreck.

No car, no matter how exotic, would mean anywhere near as much to me as those experiences and memories.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, we all have a different perspective on things.
Brilliant post.
Old 20 June 2014, 07:26 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wales
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4-s-...e-july-1866688

Majorca
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/2-we...-total-1928992
Old 20 June 2014, 07:28 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with this wholeheartedly.

Before I had kids I never went on holiday (as an adult) and all my cash was spent on house renovations.

In fact, the first time I went abroad was a day trip to Paris for the European Rugby cup final (where I cried when Tigers won ) and that was in 2001.

Since then we as a family have been as far as Japan, Hawaii, USA and many other places I between, costing £k's.
I will never, ever regret the cost!

I'm blessed to actually have a Porsche as well, but I could've had a new Gt3 instead of the Spyder....

Eta - sorry if that makes me sound a bit 'considerably richer than yow', it's not meant to!

Last edited by zip106; 20 June 2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Makes me sound like a knob.
Old 20 June 2014, 10:27 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
You seem to be under the impression that a "holiday" is simply "package hell", traveling with people, who all seem to wear 3qtr length trousers and football shirts (even though ther look like they could not run more than 10 yards) and seem to continually shout at their children, to a vast complex full of severely burnt people sitting by a pool

Who's only thought is how they are going to rape the all inclusive bar and buffet

To get real value for money

Well, speak for yourself as i/we have never been on one of those
I wouldn't be caught dead in a place like that, although I have seen places like that and wouldn't go anywhere near.
Old 20 June 2014, 10:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I'd just rather have something a little more concrete than pics and memories, they fade over time. The only thing that's missing in my life is that 911. I have a great time with my son regardless of the location. I guess it depends how much time you've spent traveling, I have been going around the world regularly since the age of seven and it just doesn't interest me anymore, I've found my little piece of paradise and am very happy doing what i'm doing.

I guess it's horses for courses but when you've been around as long as I have things change, I can lie on a beach every day of the week if I so desire in one of the most beautiful places on Earth, but I prefer to revel in the people and the culture where ever I am.
Old 20 June 2014, 11:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't be caught dead in a place like that, although I have seen places like that and wouldn't go anywhere near.
just difficult to avoid at the airport, although they are usually at the departure lounge bar - on their 3rd pint at 7.45 in the morning
Old 21 June 2014, 08:33 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I'd just rather have something a little more concrete than pics and memories, they fade over time. The only thing that's missing in my life is that 911. I have a great time with my son regardless of the location. I guess it depends how much time you've spent traveling, I have been going around the world regularly since the age of seven and it just doesn't interest me anymore, I've found my little piece of paradise and am very happy doing what i'm doing.

I guess it's horses for courses but when you've been around as long as I have things change, I can lie on a beach every day of the week if I so desire in one of the most beautiful places on Earth, but I prefer to revel in the people and the culture where ever I am.

Fair points. I never really left the country until I was eighteen and have never lived abroad.I have made up for lost time though

I have no interest in sitting by a pool getting drunk but there are still large parts of the world, its wonders, peoples and cultures that I have not seen. I have every intention of seeing as many of them as I can before I drop dead.

I'll happily forgo the Porsche to meet that aim, to some extent I already have.

Anyway, back to Pimmo. I reckon his wife is going to kick him out the house when she realises he's hired one of these for her big three O

Old 22 June 2014, 10:11 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

To be fair, that antique cabin on wheels ^ does look quite mysterious if he can make it comfortable inside, but that's not suitable for big birthdays with kids. He can do that for their wedding anniversary when the kids go to their grandparents' to be babysat. He can have a candle lit dinner with her indoors inside and a bit of hanky panky on 1800's theme.
Old 22 June 2014, 02:46 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
To be fair, that antique cabin on wheels ^ does look quite mysterious if he can make it comfortable inside, but that's not suitable for big birthdays with kids. He can do that for their wedding anniversary when the kids go to their grandparents' to be babysat. He can have a candle lit dinner with her indoors inside and a bit of hanky panky on 1800's theme.
Exciting sex outdoors .. I said wife not girlfriend ..
Old 22 June 2014, 04:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Exciting sex outdoors .. I said wife not girlfriend ..
Oh, right. Sorry.