Bought a new bike :)

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2014, 05:23 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought a new bike :)

Got it from Prague,spur of the moment buy.Bergamont Revox 7.4
First day out on it,and my thoughts are strange.I can seem to travel distance and terrain well,in a short time.The bike is really good at attacking hills,but on very rough terrain with my previous bike(kona)it just ploughed through the bumps,the bergamont gets a bit jumpy in places,oki it is a race marathon bike.
But i am guessing because of its light weight,and it is very light,is the reason why it seems to skip over the bumps.I'm used to bikes more heavy,that destroy bumps,rather than dance over the top of them,could take a bit of getting used to.
I got back to the car,and thought nah and went for another ride.But i was slightly impressed how good i covered distance on this bike,compared to the kona,which would take the bumps with ease.

Old 21 June 2014, 06:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike. I like the colour.
Old 21 June 2014, 06:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wheels too big
Old 21 June 2014, 06:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Looks fancy. Tell me, if you are cycling on a smooth, level surface at 15mph on a 15 year old Halfords £150 mountain bike, what speed would you gain for similar effort on something like this?
Old 21 June 2014, 07:12 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Looks well
Old 21 June 2014, 07:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by john banks
Looks fancy. Tell me, if you are cycling on a smooth, level surface at 15mph on a 15 year old Halfords £150 mountain bike, what speed would you gain for similar effort on something like this?
Depends on the level of maintenance the £150 bike has had.

In my own experience, based on comparing my own bike (good but nothing like that Bergamont) to low budget sh!tters I've repaired for other people, you can normally maintain a given pace on the better bike using roughly half to two thirds of the energy.
Old 21 June 2014, 07:26 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dpb
Wheels too big

Apparently they are the future, I've yet to be fully convinced though
Old 21 June 2014, 07:29 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly John your asking benefits of a Halfords cheapo bike over something that looks descent? Have you not modded cars enough to know your bike is the runt of the litter
Old 21 June 2014, 07:31 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
I got back to the car,and thought nah and went for another ride.But i was slightly impressed how good i covered distance on this bike,compared to the kona,which would take the bumps with ease.

]

I think the colour is a bit bland but I think I still prefer my Kona
Old 21 June 2014, 07:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Honestly John your asking benefits of a Halfords cheapo bike over something that looks descent? Have you not modded cars enough to know your bike is the runt of the litter
I am curious how much benefit, and CrisPDuk's estimate is interesting. Using the bike for fitness though, not to get anywhere, better bike will mean I go further, faster, steeper.
Old 21 June 2014, 08:01 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I am curious how much benefit, and CrisPDuk's estimate is interesting. Using the bike for fitness though, not to get anywhere, better bike will mean I go further, faster, steeper.
But then again, you could say the 'shi&ter' is better for fitness as it takes more effort for the same goal
Old 21 June 2014, 09:17 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Enjoyment factor.I think the car example is something to go by.you can maybe have fun in a **** car on a track day,or just out cruising,but can have a blast in a car built to give you that big smile on your face,and really enjoy the experience.
£150.00 bike riding hard and fast over trails just wouldn't last me,and would need to take an aspirin at the end of it.
More expensive bikes gives you better components,stronger wheels,better suspension,that can take a beating,and handle almost anything you throw at it.
Me personally wouldn't go near £300.00 full sus or hardtail bikes,even if it meant saving to get something decent.
This is one of the cheaper bikes i bought,32000 koruna in czech,reduced to 25490 koruna.about £740.00..And even in the biking world,that's cheap.
So it just gives you some idea how cheap your £150.00 bike is.
Old 22 June 2014, 02:58 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As said it's all about the experience.

A more expensive bike feels solid, but is light, the gears change without jumping or catching (unless you mess them up) and the brakes will stop you on an ant fart.

To be honest, if you literally just want to roll along the prom, then £150 is fine, you wont be looking to feel the bike, or trust it.
Old 22 June 2014, 06:18 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If your goal is only fitness then a well maintained old bike is fine, fitness will come with the heavier weight drag etc.

I used my Kona mtb for fitness for 18 months and only got a decent road bike once I had decided to aim for riding centuries.

A famous cyclist once said " it never gets easier, just faster".

If you want to go further and faster get a decent road bike. Fitness stay as you are.

Btw there is alot of snobbery in biking mtb v road cyclists, try and rise above it.
Old 22 June 2014, 09:23 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

A friend told me to buy a cyclocross bike? but the looks weren't for me as I knew I would go off road.

His bike is fecking mental and is worth about £12k. it makes me laugh at what he spends on it as its similar to someone modding an impreza
Old 22 June 2014, 10:22 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
If your goal is only fitness then a well maintained old bike is fine, fitness will come with the heavier weight drag etc.

I used my Kona mtb for fitness for 18 months and only got a decent road bike once I had decided to aim for riding centuries.

A famous cyclist once said " it never gets easier, just faster".

If you want to go further and faster get a decent road bike. Fitness stay as you are.

Btw there is alot of snobbery in biking mtb v road cyclists, try and rise above it.
Snobbery rules for sure! When I go out on my road bike (full race clobber too of course) then I get a raised hand or nod from every roadie who passes in the opposite direction. Same clobber but on a mountain bike and I'm totally ignored by roadies, and what's worse I do the same to MTBers when I'm on the road bike!
Old 23 June 2014, 07:05 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Looks nice.

As to the handling, it's likely to be a combination of the materials used in the frame that make it stiff and less forgiving. If the front is twitchy a slightly longer handlebar stem may help.
Old 23 June 2014, 07:10 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
Snobbery rules for sure! When I go out on my road bike (full race clobber too of course) then I get a raised hand or nod from every roadie who passes in the opposite direction. Same clobber but on a mountain bike and I'm totally ignored by roadies, and what's worse I do the same to MTBers when I'm on the road bike!
I wave , nod or say hello to every rider, but sometimes are agast at the level 'who is that pile of cr@p ' attitude look you get from some other riders.
Old 23 June 2014, 07:14 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find most people will say hello, road or MTB. The one with a fixed look on their faces don't even see you, their well into the pain zone ..
Old 23 June 2014, 09:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course what you really want underneath you is a lump of (real) steel.

I don't wave to every tom dick and Harriet, I'm frightened of a ditch detour - ( whilst doing 30 mph ).

And anyway its all bit ghey isn't it?

Last edited by dpb; 23 June 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 23 June 2014, 09:54 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice Out of interest how much would that same bike cost if you had bought it here and not in Poland?

I'm another one with a Halford's special - Carrera Vulcan. I really only ride it on (v.quiet) roads now and with it's big fat tyres it's knackering which suits me as i'm getting more exercise although sometimes I think I should have gone with a hybrid model.

As for snobbery I am always ignored by those on road bikes in their full race clothing, something to do with me wearing jeans and a t-shirt I think.
Old 23 June 2014, 01:45 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
As said it's all about the experience.

A more expensive bike feels solid, but is light, the gears change without jumping or catching (unless you mess them up) and the brakes will stop you on an ant fart.

To be honest, if you literally just want to roll along the prom, then £150 is fine, you wont be looking to feel the bike, or trust it.
The biggest difference I tend to notice is in the bearings, wheel & crank bearings in poverty spec bikes have a huge rolling resistance as bought, I think it's a combination of poor quality grease and crap adjustment. A good clean/re-lube and correct pre-load can make a big difference, but ultimately you can't beat starting with good quality components
Old 24 June 2014, 09:28 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Very nice Out of interest how much would that same bike cost if you had bought it here and not in Poland?

I'm another one with a Halford's special - Carrera Vulcan. I really only ride it on (v.quiet) roads now and with it's big fat tyres it's knackering which suits me as i'm getting more exercise although sometimes I think I should have gone with a hybrid model.

As for snobbery I am always ignored by those on road bikes in their full race clothing, something to do with me wearing jeans and a t-shirt I think.
Well if we go by the original price of the bike cost in czech,32000 koruna,is say £930.00 give or take a few pence.Add the 20% vat in this country,£1116.00 .