Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ferry to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2014, 08:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ferry to Ireland

I think I'm going to have to take my missus to Ireland so she can see her relatives? I'm from Newcastle and was going to go by ferry and was wondering which is the easiest way to get over there?

She says its on the border but I think we are off to southern Ireland but then its close to Cork so is that notheren?
Old 22 June 2014, 09:08 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cork is on the southern most tip! i've been here for 3 yrs now, lovely place..

ive taken a few ferries over the yrs, one from pembroke to waterford which isn't far from cork. but i'm from York so its one hell of a drive to Pembroke,be worse for you!

I'd suggest Holyhead to Dublin and get a cabin, its the one I use when I drive back. Then its a 2 n half hour drive to Cork from Dublin down the only motorway in the country (which is dead)
Old 22 June 2014, 09:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

So its a very long journey? I have said to my missus she can bring her mother, god damn you Cider
Old 22 June 2014, 09:21 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

its a few hours from York to Holyhead maybe add a few extra from Newcastle, then 2 plus form Dublin to Cork. Not too bad if you get a cabin.

I cheaped out and didn't buy one the first time, worst decision ever! haha good luck with the Mrs's mother!
Old 23 June 2014, 02:40 PM
Judley
Scooby Newbie

I just did the trip Steve from Hartlepool to Holyhead which takes you to Dublin Port. The drive will take you 4-5 hours but has some decent roads. I stopped overnight in Chester to break up the journey and found Irish Ferries to be pretty well organised. The roads in Ireland are now greatly improved and if you're driving down to the Cork area then the N7 takes you most of the way and is virtually clear of all traffic once you get out of Dublin.

Why not leave the mother-in-law in Dublin for a few days
Old 23 June 2014, 02:45 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Last time my cabin was only £20 extra, helped me get an hours sleep and have a shower, its not worth it unless you are on the slow crossing which is a little over three hours. Beware though that near the end of the crossing they knock and instantly open your cabin door to check you are awake, Polish cleaner had a shock I can tell you. The day crossing on the fast boat is better and you can book a lounge with more space get free tea coffes and muffins, a giant portion of fish and chips then nap fpr an hour. on the sofa or watch TV.