Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So what did you make of the Cameron/Juncker fiasco?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2014, 06:37 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So what did you make of the Cameron/Juncker fiasco?

Cameron seems to be getting it from all angles for failing to effect any change with regards to Juncker's appointment.

Of course one of the reasons he took the position he did was to play to his party and try to mitigate the threat he faces from UKIP.

However was he right to take the position he did as a matter of principle? Or did he show himself to be a poor statesman?
Old 29 June 2014, 07:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No stopping united states of Europe now, but then there never was
Old 29 June 2014, 08:00 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Little by little, stealthily 'through the back door', member nations' sovereignty being dismantled by the EU. And with the appointment of this mort, you can expect it to shoved into fast forward anytime soon.

Fair play to DC (and Hungary) for identifying this and standing up for his principles... For the very future of the country, no less!

Shame on all other nations for their 'can't be bothered to fight it' procrastination... Or, indeed, their blind faith in the (failed) project!

Bah!

Last edited by joz8968; 29 June 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 29 June 2014, 08:46 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooner we walk away from the EU the better.
Old 29 June 2014, 09:10 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Sure, but do you think Cameron was right to take the stance he did even though it effected no immediate change?
Old 29 June 2014, 09:42 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Sure, but do you think Cameron was right to take the stance he did even though it effected no immediate change?
It was certainly an unwinnable stance, but maybe sending a message to the EU the UK will no longer slavishly follow the party line ?

Richard
Old 29 June 2014, 09:46 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I think you were probably right with your opening comment regarding UKIP, his main threat is from within now.

He did it only for his own skin, nothing to do with ours.

Last edited by RA Dunk; 29 June 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2014, 10:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Cameron is in his position to represent the UK and its interests; So he had no choice but to hold the line that the UK wants more independence not less and therefore the EU should have a leader that supports that. If he had voted Junker in, he can kiss goodbye to alot more seats in the next election.

The last election clearly shows that a large number of the minority who voted (I say that due to the constant low turn outs) has led to UKIP's extremely rapid rise in becoming a mainstream party and the general anti-EU sentiment being banded about in the general public cannot be ignored any longer as has been done in the past 24 odd years. To go against electorate opinion would be political suicide.

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 June 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 29 June 2014, 12:06 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Ed Millipede has annoyed me more with this fiasco than DC to be honest, he seems to be in complete denial regarding the recent history of his own party

Have a good look back Ed, then tell us who signed the treaties that removed the UK's powers of veto
Old 29 June 2014, 01:30 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
No stopping united states of Europe now, but then there never was
Really, the eu budget has been reduced, cap down, and there is no supreme Court to overrule UK law
Old 29 June 2014, 01:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cameron was quite right and good luck to him. Pity that it may lead to some anti-Euro votes at the referendum as we must stay in EU - despite what the ignorant xenophobic Daily Fail readers may want.

You never know, Farage and Junkers may become best friends and one night they will be found together slumped in the corner of some seedy bar with empty *** packets and cognac bottles

dl
Old 29 June 2014, 05:50 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Why was he right?
Old 29 June 2014, 06:43 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The interesting thing now is whether Cameron will keep banging on about renegotiation. It is quite clear to the public now how little say the UK has, so if he keeps harping on about his plan, it could well be toxic for him.

Of course the smart move for him is to say he will bring forward the referendum as he no longer believes that the EU is listening. That would be a vote winner for him but he hasn't the ***** or political will for it IMHO.

All in all, a good day for the "better off out" people
Old 29 June 2014, 06:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Ed Millipede has annoyed me more with this fiasco than DC to be honest, he seems to be in complete denial regarding the recent history of his own party

Have a good look back Ed, then tell us who signed the treaties that removed the UK's powers of veto
Old 29 June 2014, 07:13 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
The interesting thing now is whether Cameron will keep banging on about renegotiation. It is quite clear to the public now how little say the UK has, so if he keeps harping on about his plan, it could well be toxic for him.

Of course the smart move for him is to say he will bring forward the referendum as he no longer believes that the EU is listening. That would be a vote winner for him but he hasn't the ***** or political will for it IMHO.

All in all, a good day for the "better off out" people

Yes. It will be difficult for him to bang on about a referendum based on a reformed/renegotiated Europe given what has just happened.
Old 29 June 2014, 07:22 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Any renegotiation talks will hinge upon how much the other EU countries want the UK to stay in.

If they do, then there will be compromise, if they don't care then obviously there will be little to negotiate with.

My sense is they do care and do want us in, therefore Cameron still has some cards to play.
Old 29 June 2014, 08:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Renegotiate what. All this hot air, and so little practical policies.

1. What do you want from a renegotiation
2. What is Cameron's new way
3. What is wrong with Junker
Old 29 June 2014, 08:38 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Old 29 June 2014, 08:40 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have to stay in otherwise where will all the immigrants go, Germany, Italy,France, I think his only problem is he's using the wrong tactics as leverage , just tell the ******* they can have all these dodgy ******* immigrants we have here sent to their countries and no doubt they'll sit up and listen.

The Art of War, am I the only one that gets this.
Old 29 June 2014, 09:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
We have to stay in otherwise where will all the immigrants go, Germany, Italy,France, I think his only problem is he's using the wrong tactics as leverage , just tell the ******* they can have all these dodgy ******* immigrants we have here sent to their countries and no doubt they'll sit up and listen.

The difference is in Germany and France, they just don't employ them.
Old 29 June 2014, 09:54 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I think we should all vote to stay in Europe, I love the idea of being part of another super power. Just think how corrupt it would be, you would never have to make a decision for your self ever again. It will be so good that they will even tell you how to raise you're own children.

I've always dreamed of what it would be like to have my rights taken away from me.
Old 29 June 2014, 10:00 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
I think we should all vote to stay in Europe, I love the idea of being part of another super power. Just think how corrupt it would be, you would never have to make a decision for your self ever again. It will be so good that they will even tell you how to raise you're own children.

I've always dreamed of what it would be like to have my rights taken away from me.
Actually sounds a bit like Communist Russia TBH.
Old 29 June 2014, 10:09 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Little by little, stealthily 'through the back door', member nations' sovereignty being dismantled by the EU. And with the appointment of this mort, you can expect it to shoved into fast forward anytime soon.

Fair play to DC (and Hungary) for identifying this and standing up for his principles... For the very future of the country, no less!

Shame on all other nations for their 'can't be bothered to fight it' procrastination... Or, indeed, their blind faith in the (failed) project!

Bah!
It just means that Hungary and the UK will join the federalist state at a later date. Either that or we get out.
Old 29 June 2014, 10:43 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

Surely this is a broader issue than just immigration?

btw Germany, France and Italy have huge immigrant populations.

What is going to happen to the 1M+ Brits living and/or working across Europe if we leave the single market and give up on their rights to freedom of movement?
Old 29 June 2014, 10:50 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

What is going to happen to the 1M+ Brits living and/or working across Europe if we leave the single market and give up on their rights to freedom of movement?
Nothing I would imagine, If our 1M Brits were forced to leave their country of choice then surely the God knows how many million immigrants that have moved into the UK under the EU will be kicked out as here as well, surely it will work both ways?
Old 29 June 2014, 10:52 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Nothing I would imagine, If our 1M Brits were forced to leave their country of choice then surely the God knows how many million immigrants that have moved into the UK under the EU will be kicked out as here as well, surely it will work both ways?
Do you think that millions of economically active people leaving our country would be a good thing?
Old 29 June 2014, 10:54 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Do you think that millions of economically active people leaving our country would be a good thing?
Your the one who brought it up. You tell me. The Same can be said of Brits living in the EU.
Old 29 June 2014, 10:55 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Your the one who brought it up. You tell me.
Obviously it would be a disaster for our economy
Old 29 June 2014, 10:59 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Bring the first million back to wash cars once the Polish and Albanian's are gone

I hate the one size fits all that "being part of EU brings" we are a island and not part of it. I am Scottish and I would rather be voting on the 18th September to pull out of EU. As for the Yes vote if it means we wont be part of EU I will be all for it, sad but true.

I think the UK has been the whipping boy of the EU, France Italy and Germany stick their fingers up at EU policy and the UK just rolls over pulls its pants down and get *** raped.

And as for the disaster to the economy, for to rid immigrants bleeding the benefits system dry I think it would be a win win .
Old 29 June 2014, 11:08 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Bring the first million back to wash cars once the Polish and Albanian's are gone

I hate the one size fits all that "being part of EU brings" we are a island and not part of it. I am Scottish and I would rather be voting on the 18th September to pull out of EU. As for the Yes vote if it means we wont be part of EU I will be all for it, sad but true.

I think the UK has been the whipping boy of the EU, France Italy and Germany stick their fingers up at EU policy and the UK just rolls over pulls its pants down and get *** raped.

And as for the disaster to the economy, for to rid immigrants bleeding the benefits system dry I think it would be a win win .
Tha's a baseless fantasy argument. The overwelming majority of immigrants PAY TAX. What % of benefit go to immigrant from the EU, do you know?

If we 'got rid' of EU immigrants tomorrow, we would be faced with a terrible recession, with large parts of our service and publuc sectors left in meltdown.

Quick Reply: So what did you make of the Cameron/Juncker fiasco?