Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kick boxing for kids

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2014, 02:47 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick boxing for kids

Hi guy's, I have a 5 year old boy (nearly 6) who has been doing karate for some time now but has also started doing kickboxing. I need to get him some equipment, specifically gloves but I personally have been out of the scene for a few years and am a bit rusty. It's more boxing gloves that he needs (has already got bag gloves) but not sure what make is best. He is a big lad for his age (not fat) so was thinking maybe 6-8oz but something of a guess really, and as you with kids will know they change their mind like the wind so cheapish would be best.

Any help would be appreciated as I am just staring at Amazon at the moment and have not got much of a clue.
Old 01 July 2014, 03:17 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't head & leg protection be a good idea too at that age?
Old 01 July 2014, 03:32 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Wouldn't head & leg protection be a good idea too at that age?
He does have some but its only touch boxing they do (no heavy contact). Infact, I don't really see the point of having boxing gloves when really they only need bag gloves and he has them already, but it's a requirement of the gym, honestly I think they are just trying to get us to buy there expensive ones.
Old 01 July 2014, 03:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd get a good head guard anyway; I got knocked out by an unseen hook kick; without my head guard, I would have been pretty badly hurt.

All the rest isn't as vital IMO.
Old 01 July 2014, 04:32 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My youngest daughter (9 yrs old) does kickboxing (successfully completed her blue & white belt grading last Sunday). At the moment the only contact work (class and grading) is with pads, which doesn't require any gloves or footwear. They do perform sports swords, for which the club provides safety headgear but there is no requirement for gloves. I don't know what level your boy is at, but I am surprised the gym is making full-on [expensive] boxing gloves a requirement at his age. Some of the kids in my daughters class (including my daughter) do have bag gloves but not many of them really use them at their level. The only real expense (besides club fees) is the license which we have to renew every year.
Old 01 July 2014, 06:50 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
My youngest daughter (9 yrs old) does kickboxing (successfully completed her blue & white belt grading last Sunday). At the moment the only contact work (class and grading) is with pads, which doesn't require any gloves or footwear. They do perform sports swords, for which the club provides safety headgear but there is no requirement for gloves. I don't know what level your boy is at, but I am surprised the gym is making full-on [expensive] boxing gloves a requirement at his age. Some of the kids in my daughters class (including my daughter) do have bag gloves but not many of them really use them at their level. The only real expense (besides club fees) is the license which we have to renew every year.
He is a very capable lad and has already done about 5/6 gradings, but even so I didn't think he needs boxing gloves but have been told to get them.
Old 01 July 2014, 07:55 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Semi contact gloves should be fine, in the years i done kickboxing there was never really any requirement for full contact boxing gloves unless i was fighting tournament.

i used murrain sports semi contact gear and bcs full contact gear.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 01 July 2014 at 07:56 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2014, 08:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Decathalon do gloves, pads and head guards at reasonable prices.
Old 01 July 2014, 08:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not just buy the gloves from the gym? 8oz gloves have no padding at all so even on a small child it won't stop much from their hits.
Old 02 July 2014, 11:14 AM
scoobyross
Scooby Regular

Good value gloves are RDX and they are big also so ideal for kickboxing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auth-RDX-L...item2c65870947

Although they start in 10oz