Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snooping laws being rushed through parliament - something fishy about this?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2014, 08:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snooping laws being rushed through parliament - something fishy about this?

Emergency phone and internet data laws to be passed

When was the last time a new law was backed by all 3 main parties (OK well two of the three main parties and the Lib Dems ) and made law in less than 7 days?

Why is no one even questioning this? Even the media seem strangely quiet.

I am struggling to find out exactly what the new law allows our beloved police and security forces to do .... especially when it seems that they have been doing plenty of snooping already according to various revelations from the likes of Yahoo and Google over the last couple of years.
Old 11 July 2014, 08:37 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably something to do with the recent alarm bells ringing re terrorism?
Old 11 July 2014, 08:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They will be able to thwart a huge terrorist attack just in time for the next election.
Old 11 July 2014, 08:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Probably something to do with the recent alarm bells ringing re terrorism?
The alarm beels have been ringing for a very long time already though!

Originally Posted by alcazar
They will be able to thwart a huge terrorist attack just in time for the next election.
Yes, exactly.... a bit like the British Jihadist video that turned up a couple of weeks ago... just a little too convenient!
Old 11 July 2014, 08:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They must have actually been snooping for ever, I suppose this is cos somebody has complained
Old 11 July 2014, 10:29 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The emergency legislation was made in response to the recent ruling by the European Court of Justice regarding the retention of data under the 2006 Data Directive made in the wake of terrorist attacks in Madrid, London and New York. This emergency law will simply maintain the existing directive for communications firms to retain communication information for 12 months. It doesn't include the monitoring of content of the communication, only the date and time and to who the communication was made. However, the legislation also allows authorities to intercept communications, but only after the said authorities have acquired a warrant to do so, and only by authorities covered under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

The point is, the Government are not pushing in new "snooping" powers, they are merely trying to maintain existing powers put in place since 2006 which wasn't an issue for anyone until the ECJ ruling and the media jumping all over it.
Old 11 July 2014, 11:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
The point is, the Government are not pushing in new "snooping" powers, they are merely trying to maintain existing powers put in place since 2006 which wasn't an issue for anyone until the ECJ ruling and the media jumping all over it.
Existing powers that were declared illegal by The European Court of Justice who said the law violates two basic rights - respect for private life and protection of personal data.

Funny how the UK can ignore Europe when it suits the agenda of the politicians isn't it? Yet at all other times they trot out the 'our hands are tied' mantra!

Sorry, but this law is at least part way about control of the population and not really much to do with anti-terrorism!

Trending Topics

Old 11 July 2014, 11:23 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Exactly; much of today's laws and policies are about population control including the housing market.

We go out of our way to avoid any sort of reliance on government whims.
Old 11 July 2014, 11:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

[quote]Funny how the UK can ignore Europe when it suits the agenda of the politicians isn't it? Yet at all other times they trot out the 'our hands are tied' mantra!

Sorry, but this law is at least part way about control of the population and not really much to do with anti-terrorism! [/quote]

This^^^^

And especially the bit in bold.
Old 11 July 2014, 12:26 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I would imagine that they are or was planning to "snoop" on somebody/group and the EU got in the way.

I agree that theres something fishy and as f1_fan says, how come they can overturn the EU now but not other times. But as for the rest, well if you don't put your life on the computer then theres only really your bank details, and this has been the case for a long time.

I don't have much confidence in governments but in this case it can keep us safe. If the price you have to pay for your safety is someone sat in a office miles away from you having a look through my emails then so be it.

What would be the fix move to Africa.

Its all part of the package, we live in a safe country and have to except that theres a price for such safety and lifestyle.
Old 11 July 2014, 12:31 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
If the price you have to pay for your safety is someone sat in a office miles away from you having a look through my emails then so be it.
Thing is it's unlikely to be someone sat in an office miles away. The majority of intelligence gathering is done via banks of computers searching for certain words/phrases of interest. It only actually comes to a person if you raise to many flags.
Old 11 July 2014, 01:06 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Existing powers that were declared illegal by The European Court of Justice who said the law violates two basic rights - respect for private life and protection of personal data.

Funny how the UK can ignore Europe when it suits the agenda of the politicians isn't it? Yet at all other times they trot out the 'our hands are tied' mantra!

Sorry, but this law is at least part way about control of the population and not really much to do with anti-terrorism!
So the EU has decided to invalidate its own law. Great! In this digital age where technology allows the unscrupulous and the criminal to do what they do via the internet, mobiles, etc, Are you saying that you are in agreement that authorities should not be allowed access to communication data (metadata and not content) to corroborate alibis and convictions? That data that could prove one's innocence or guilt should be not be retained but deleted? How is this about controlling the population? Can you even highlight any instances where this directive has had you under control of the Government?

This is not about snooping and monitoring your whereabouts/activities by the Government, it is about the obligation of communications companies to retain data for up to 12 months that can be accessed should the need arise.
Old 11 July 2014, 01:13 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Thing is it's unlikely to be someone sat in an office miles away. The majority of intelligence gathering is done via banks of computers searching for certain words/phrases of interest. It only actually comes to a person if you raise to many flags.
Well yes, exactly.
Old 11 July 2014, 02:55 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
[quote]Funny how the UK can ignore Europe when it suits the agenda of the politicians isn't it? Yet at all other times they trot out the 'our hands are tied' mantra!

This^^^^

And especially the bit in bold.
[/QUOTE]

Hang on a minute; is this the same insane Alcazar who was trying to convince us all that the UK always follows EU law whilst others ignore it.

Now all of a sudeen he's ( in bold) totally contradicted himself

Last edited by Martin2005; 11 July 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11 July 2014, 03:32 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

It's all about control, squeezing us peasants and taking away yet more of our freedoms in the name of terrorists.
It's that one word isn't it......terrorists!
The real terrorists are our uk government.
If it wasn't for the likes of 7/7 mr rigby, boston bombings etc then they wouldn't get away with it, oh wait a minute could they really have been inside jobs? Don't be silly lol
That's like saying our government is full of paedo's,,,now that's just being stupid now!
Wake up people!

Last edited by stipete75; 11 July 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11 July 2014, 04:15 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stipete75
It's all about control, squeezing us peasants and taking away yet more of our freedoms in the name of terrorists.
If it wasn't for the likes of 7/7 mr rigby, boston bombings etc then they wouldn't get away with it, oh wait a minute could they really have been inside jobs? Don't be silly lol
That's like saying our government is full of paedo's,,,now that's just being stupid now!
Wake up people!
It doesn't matter, it's all for the entertainment of our crab peopel overlords. We're all merely characters in a soap opera to them and they manipulate the world to suit there tastes. Open your eyes man, its clear to see.
Old 11 July 2014, 04:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
It doesn't matter, it's all for the entertainment of our crab peopel overlords. We're all merely characters in a soap opera to them and they manipulate the world to suit there tastes. Open your eyes man, its clear to see.
Old 11 July 2014, 04:26 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they being rushed through so David Camerons new director of communications doesn't get sent down for hacking peoples phones
Old 11 July 2014, 04:51 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Wake up people!
What?! Are you now claiming the 7/7 bombings, the killing of Lee Rigby and the Boston bombing is carried out by our Government? I'm guessing next you'll be telling us that Jimmy Savile was a secret Government operative.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Hang on a minute; is this the same insane Alcazar who was trying to convince us all that the UK always follows EU law whilst others ignore it.

Now all of a sudeen he's ( in bold) totally contradicted himself[/quote]

Try not to be a tw@t all the time, there's a god lad?

As you well know, I have already highlighted a time when the UK government actually did go against what Europe wanted...or rather, threatened to take their ball home if the ECHR didn't find for them....speed cameras.

My gripe is as above....they NEVER do it for their citizens, only for theitr own ends.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

All because they want to allow the mods on here to read peoples PM's....mind you thats already been discussed a while ago ;-)
Old 11 July 2014, 05:30 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Wake up people!
You must watch to many films, they may be bent but it's not doctor evil running the country.

The truth is that there's a lot that goes on that we will never now about, they select what they want us to know then there's stuff thats leaked etc.

And with regards to "wake up people" there can be something to be said about not worrying about things that are out of your control. Life is to short and being a paranoid conspiracy theorists it's exactly a better way to live your life.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:50 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
What?! Are you now claiming the 7/7 bombings, the killing of Lee Rigby and the Boston bombing is carried out by our Government? I'm guessing next you'll be telling us that Jimmy Savile was a secret Government operative.
False flag (or black flag) describes covert military or paramilitary operations designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by entities, groups or nations other than those who actually planned and executed them.

As for mr Saville, he was not an secret operative working for the government,however he was one of many famous runners for the powers that be.
Besties with Charles and who ever was in power at no 10 his sick ****** ways only came out when he died, the dead don't talk.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:53 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

As you well know, I have already highlighted a time when the UK government actually did go against what Europe wanted...or rather, threatened to take their ball home if the ECHR didn't find for them....speed cameras.

My gripe is as above....they NEVER do it for their citizens, only for theitr own ends.
You shouldn't be so liberal with the word 'never' then.

btw - would you care to expand on how this law is being brought in for 'their own ends' - what exactly do you mean by that?

Last edited by Martin2005; 11 July 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:53 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

You must watch to many films, they may be bent but it's not doctor evil running the country.

The truth is that there's a lot that goes on that we will never now about, they select what they want us to know then there's stuff thats leaked etc.

And with regards to "wake up people" there can be something to be said about not worrying about things that are out of your control. Life is to short and being a paranoid conspiracy theorists it's exactly a better way to live your life.
I love my underground foreign horror, not the cr&p Hollywood forces deep into the minds of simpletons.

Last year I said Westminster was full of paedo's and that the powers that be are full of the, I was slammed with where's your tin hat lol.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:55 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

btw - would you care to elaborate on how this law is being brought in for 'their own ends' - what exactly do you mean by that?[/QUOTE]
It's all about control Martin, eradicating our freedoms almost weekly.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:57 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I love my underground foreign horror, not the cr&p Hollywood forces deep into the minds of simpletons.

Last year I said Westminster was full of paedo's and that the powers that be are full of the, I was slammed with where's your tin hat lol.
In Westminster you will find all walks of life, as you will in any profession.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:00 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

It's all about control Martin, eradicating our freedoms almost
weekly.
How exactly - please expand?
Old 11 July 2014, 06:02 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

btw - would you care to expand on how this law is being brought in for 'their own ends' - what exactly do you mean by that?
Martin, why do you insist on calling people out, you always seem to be looking for a fight.
Old 11 July 2014, 06:05 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Martin, why do you insist on calling people out, you always seem to be looking for a fight.
If you are going to make grand statements (crazy accusations) like that, then I'd like to know what lies beneath

Quick Reply: Snooping laws being rushed through parliament - something fishy about this?