Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2014, 10:27 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed

A few weeks ago a friend bought a car from me, yesterday afternoon I received a text asking if the oil pressure warning light had been on before as it was now on. I told him that no it hadn't and to keep me informed. Now I was willing to help out with any repair costs ...but I've just seen on Facebook that he's broken down and is waiting for a recovery service, I've texted him and the RAC guy seems the think that it's the oil pump but it could have damaged the engine quite badly, now it's not on his doorstep he's driven it nearly 100mile on motorway and duel carriageway. Now I was willing to help with any repair costs but after him driving it and very possibly causing much more damage I don't see how I'm responsible ?? What would you do? Agree to pay half? Just offer a token gesture amount? Tell him "you shouldn't have drove it" and walk away ??

It's doing my head in to be fair, I want to do the right thing but I can't believe he drove it at all never mind so far with an oil pressure warning light on
Old 14 July 2014, 10:48 AM
New_scooby_04

You don't owe him a penny mate.

1) If the car was sold honestly and in good working order, then he paid his money and took his chances - private sales don't come with a warranty
2) Driving the car with an oil pressure warning light on???? Really???

Obviously if he's your mate, then you need to be a bit diplomatic, but you should not go down the road of offering to help financially as a) it might backfire and be seen as an admission that the car was not right to begin with b) It's not your responsibility - if the car was fine to the best of your knowledge when selling it and you haven't been dishonest in its description then your conscience is clear.

It's s**t luck, but that's all it is!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 14 July 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 14 July 2014, 10:52 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I would never consider selling a car to friend because if something went wrong it could turn very sour very quickly.
Old 14 July 2014, 10:59 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You don't owe him a penny mate.

1) If the car was sold honestly and in good working order, then he paid his money and took his chances - private sales don't come with a warranty
2) Driving the car with an oil pressure warning light on???? Really???

Obviously if he's your mate, then you need to be a bit diplomatic, but you should not go down the road of offering to help financially as a) it might backfire and be seen as an admission that the car was not right to begin with b) It's not your responsibility - if the car was fine to the best of your knowledge when selling it and you haven't been dishonest in its description then your conscience is clear.

It's s**t luck, but that's all it is!
Perfectly put.
Old 14 July 2014, 11:05 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

totally agree with new scooby 04.
Old 14 July 2014, 11:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So do I......but you have to ask what his friendship is worth?

Back in the UK, by a quirk, we don't own any of our side fences, both sides belong to neighbours.

But when they fell down, I went halves for some decent fencing, and worked with two of the three neighbours to erect the new stuff, doing the other lot for the old lady who lives there, free of charge.

I did so because I value the friendship of neighbours and because by so doing I got better fencing.
Old 14 July 2014, 11:42 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

If it was a straight sale to a.n. other, then I'd say tough luck. But as it's a mate that clouds things to certain extent. I'd have a chat and see what he thinks and hammer it out between you. If he acts like a knoblet, then tough. If he's reasonable and you can help him out as a token of good faith, then so be it. But he really should not have drove on with that light on - asking for trouble.
Old 14 July 2014, 11:56 AM
New_scooby_04

Friend or not. it's still tough luck and very bad judgement on his mate's part. It would be quite wrong for him to expect anything out of this.

It's a private sale: something going wrong and not being covered is the risk you take and the reason you pay less than a dealer would have charged (that's the tough luck part)

He drove it with the oil warning light on (that's the very bad judgement part). He should not expect a mate to financially offset the consequences of his error.

Obviously because it's a mate, you'd be a lot less terse than I have just been in explaining things, but the outcome should be the same. If it's a good friendship, they'll understand. To be honest, if the other party is a stand up guy they should be saying "It's my fault, I shouldn't have driven it with an oil warning light on".

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 14 July 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 14 July 2014, 12:00 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

foook him, driving with oil pressure light on has done the damage, not you
Old 14 July 2014, 12:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
So do I......but you have to ask what his friendship is worth?

Back in the UK, by a quirk, we don't own any of our side fences, both sides belong to neighbours.

But when they fell down, I went halves for some decent fencing, and worked with two of the three neighbours to erect the new stuff, doing the other lot for the old lady who lives there, free of charge.

I did so because I value the friendship of neighbours and because by so doing I got better fencing.
Did you have a fence warning light?

============

To the OP. Do nothing until you know what's wrong and how any damage was caused if that is possible. Only then make a judgment call.

dl
Old 14 July 2014, 02:05 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
This is why I would never consider selling a car to friend because if something went wrong it could turn very sour very quickly.
Too late for the OP but I'm sure many on here do follow that logic.

DARB needs to be sure his friend continued to drive the car after the oil warning light came on and then decide what to do next.
Old 14 July 2014, 02:15 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Out of interest what type of car is it ?
Old 14 July 2014, 02:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Say the I original problem was the oil pump as Mr RAC said.

Your friend informed you pre possible big damage about the warning light. You had no previous knowledge of it coming on. Allowing only for friendship you could offer him half the price of an oil pump and that'd be generous!

The rest of the repair bill is now up to him and would be classed as twät tax.
Old 14 July 2014, 03:06 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

By the time an oil pressure light comes on the damage has probably already been done, as these things only come on when oil pressure is very low. To continue driving is crass stupidity.
Old 14 July 2014, 03:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
By the time an oil pressure light comes on the damage has probably already been done, as these things only come on when oil pressure is very low. To continue driving is crass stupidity.
this is very true, although under extreme circumstances it can come on with low oil level and heavy cornering
Old 14 July 2014, 04:11 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So your friend bought the car 'a few weeks ago' - has he been driving it around ok since then....?

Today the oil warning light comes on and he predictably breaks down....

We need to clarify here whether he has been driving it for weeks all OK until now, *OR* he has been driving it for weeks with oil light coming on!

This would affect the advice given IMHO.
Old 14 July 2014, 05:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

This is why I didn't sell my Polo to a friend or family member recently. The first thing that fails or needs replaced, knock on the door guaranteed...

I'd have sold it to the ***** next door though (right after I'd filled the TDI with petrol ).
Old 14 July 2014, 06:58 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Yep never sell anything to a friend or family - its just not worth it.

Re the oil pressure light, if the pressure has dropped enough for the oil pressure light to come on - when driving along with revs up - then there is a big problem. In general the damage is already being done at this point - but not hard and fast.

Now, if the car was to still run and drive - then perhaps he would get away with it - but as it broke down I suspect that something has failed in the engine due to the lack of oil. Which will probably be expensive. Unless he got lucky.

I would say chances are its going to need a re-build - at worst a replacement engine.

We need to know a) what car it is and b) what happened at the moment it broke down.

Also will it start (he will have tried...)

First things first I would probably get the full story out of him before going anywhere near "helping him out". If he has been stupid enough to drive round for day with low pressure then really, I think it would be on him. This could be a big bill....
Old 14 July 2014, 07:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Exactly.
Old 14 July 2014, 07:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARB
A few weeks ago a friend bought a car from me, yesterday afternoon I received a text asking if the oil pressure warning light had been on before as it was now on. I told him that no it hadn't and to keep me informed. Now I was willing to help out with any repair costs ...but I've just seen on Facebook that he's broken down and is waiting for a recovery service, I've texted him and the RAC guy seems the think that it's the oil pump but it could have damaged the engine quite badly, now it's not on his doorstep he's driven it nearly 100mile on motorway and duel carriageway. Now I was willing to help with any repair costs but after him driving it and very possibly causing much more damage I don't see how I'm responsible ?? What would you do? Agree to pay half? Just offer a token gesture amount? Tell him "you shouldn't have drove it" and walk away ??

It's doing my head in to be fair, I want to do the right thing but I can't believe he drove it at all never mind so far with an oil pressure warning light on
First of all you need to see what the score is regarding damage. Don't jump the gun.
Old 14 July 2014, 08:51 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

If he's driven 100 miles including motorways with oil warning lamp on he's on his own.

You could offer to pay for this for him;

Old 17 July 2014, 04:03 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies, I've not heard from him since, I'll keep you posted