Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should Iraqi Christians be offered asylum in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2014, 03:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Iraqi Christians be offered asylum in the UK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28628763

I think they should.
Old 03 August 2014, 04:34 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

They should find a little island somewhere and put them all there, maybe they can call it the isles of Islam or islamland. They can all live happily ever after there.
^^^^^ that was jest to the haters by the way^^^^^^

On a serious note, no they should not, our housing, benefits, jobs and NHS are already stretched to bursting point.
Old 03 August 2014, 04:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tdw Will put them up
Old 03 August 2014, 04:44 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I thought genuine asylum seekers were allowed in anyway?

dl
Old 03 August 2014, 04:49 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Why should being a christian have anything to do with it, do Christians have more of a right to be saved over others?
Old 03 August 2014, 04:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you live in a Middle East country how can relocating to the UK be the best option? Surely another similar speaking country nearby would be a more sensible choice?
Old 03 August 2014, 04:59 PM
IveGotTheBug
Scooby Regular

No they should not,it would only breed exploiters that cry Christian or have converted solely to get into uk without even practicing the belief system.

I personally think all Romanians Iraqis Polish Kurds Turks should be sent home,you don't see us getting any benefits in foreign countries,has the world gone ****ing mad?
Old 03 August 2014, 05:39 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

I think they should. The only people who shouldn't are Ebola victims. They should be sent back to Iraq.
Old 03 August 2014, 05:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I thought genuine asylum seekers were allowed in anyway?

dl

Not so...the law on asylum states that asylum seekers MUST apply fotr asylum in the FIRST country they come to after leaving the one they are asking for asylum from.

So NOT travel through ten European countries to get to US then!
Old 03 August 2014, 06:57 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
Why should being a christian have anything to do with it, do Christians have more of a right to be saved over others?
Because in this instance Christians are the ones being targetted by ISIS. dl

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not so...the law on asylum states that asylum seekers MUST apply fotr asylum in the FIRST country they come to after leaving the one they are asking for asylum from.

So NOT travel through ten European countries to get to US then!
Thanks for that clarification. So if they arrive in Spain and then come here we can send them back to Spain? dl
Old 03 August 2014, 07:34 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

It's not as though we are the only Christian country on the planet is it, Why us?

We're full!!
Old 03 August 2014, 07:50 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think them being Christian has anything to do with it as we are a secular country. Also we have enough nut job christian imports from Africa already, I work with quite a few of them. Their literal interpretation of the bible is disturbing, manifested for example, in their views towards homosexuals.

I work with one such nurse who does not believe the world is millions of years old. When I asked what he then made of carbon dating, dinosaur fossils etc he said that all such evidence had been planted/faked by anti christian forces!!
Old 03 August 2014, 07:54 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

When I asked what he then made of carbon dating, dinosaur fossils etc he said that all such evidence had been planted/faked by anti christian forces!!
^^^ I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. ^^^

Obviously one of the brainwashed masses, we have too much of these already TBH......
Old 03 August 2014, 08:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Christianity has a lot to answer for
Old 03 August 2014, 08:54 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Because in this instance Christians are the ones being targetted by ISIS. dl
Yes I understand that but why not Christians from other countries that have hardship, or should we rescue every Christian in the world just because of their faith?

But why Christians at all, do we value their lives more than others, what about non believer's, should they be left to perish?

For the lack of a better word is it not a bit racist and showing one religion favoritism over another?
Old 03 August 2014, 08:58 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

I work with one such nurse who does not believe the world is millions of years old. When I asked what he then made of carbon dating, dinosaur fossils etc he said that all such evidence had been planted/faked by anti christian forces!!
I've had a similar experience to this, for about 20mins I thought they were taking the ****.
Old 03 August 2014, 09:06 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stipete75
They should find a little island somewhere and put them all there, maybe they can call it the isles of Islam or islamland. They can all live happily ever after there.
^^^^^ that was jest to the haters by the way^^^^^^

On a serious note, no they should not, our housing, benefits, jobs and NHS are already stretched to bursting point. with our own waste of space Vicky Pollard types, having kids and they're only kids themselves
why would a Christian want to name the Island Islamland or Isles of Islam???

LoL

Last edited by salsa-king; 03 August 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03 August 2014, 10:14 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Yes I understand that but why not Christians from other countries that have hardship, or should we rescue every Christian in the world just because of their faith?

But why Christians at all, do we value their lives more than others, what about non believer's, should they be left to perish?

For the lack of a better word is it not a bit racist and showing one religion favoritism over another?
I think you've missed the point, it's not because they are Christian. It's because they are facing religious persecution in their home country.
Old 03 August 2014, 10:21 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I think they should have freedom and security in their own country. I'm all for military intervention to protect a persecuted group or community.
As for asylum, with the best will in the world the UK is already stretched in resources and services. We can't be allowing any further influxes of foreign nationals, who neither understand the language or the culture. The Brits by and large are caring, compassionate and morally upstanding. However those qualities are not inexhaustible.
Old 03 August 2014, 10:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Last thing we need is load militant Christians forcing their culture and beliefs on the rest of us
Old 03 August 2014, 10:49 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
I think you've missed the point, it's not because they are Christian. It's because they are facing religious persecution in their home country.
O.k I'll try again, why does someone facing religious persecution deserve asylum over others that are just facing persecution?

And if it's not got anything to do with religion then why is evey other word Christianity or religion etc, why not just say people that need asylum or not?

Iam not saying that they do or don't deserve to be helped but if I was to say lets give asylum to just the white people or only let girls in with blonde hair then I would be shot.

The fact that someone is religious has got nothing to do with it for me, the question is, simply do they need our help.

And as far as the Bishop goes, I think the fact that they are Christians HAS got something to do with it, I doubt it very much that if they were Muslim's he would be looking to save them.

Last edited by Carnut; 03 August 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03 August 2014, 11:16 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

O.k I'll try again, why does someone facing religious persecution deserve asylum over others that are just facing persecution?

And if it's not got anything to do with religion then why is evey other word Christianity or religion etc, why not just say people that need asylum or not?

Iam not saying that they do or don't deserve to be helped but if I was to say lets give asylum to just the white people or only let girls in with blonde hair then I would be shot.

The fact that someone is religious has got nothing to do with it for me, the question is, simply do they need our help.

And as far as the Bishop goes, I think the fact that they are Christians HAS got something to do with it, I doubt it very much that if they were Muslim's he would be looking to save them.
I think the key word here is persecution, not religion
Old 03 August 2014, 11:18 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yay, let's fill up the country with more religious rejects... I just loving hearing about all the wonderful things god has done for them saving their souls while all the while completely ******* up their existence on earth, awesome... lets have more of this in a more confined space like the UK, can't wait
Old 04 August 2014, 02:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

David: yes, if they come through any other country we should deport them back there...and keep on doing so.

But we don't, because there are too many Martin 2005's about crying on their behalf.

There IS a reason why they all want to come here, it's not the climate, it's not that we have the jobs......I wonder what it could benefit them to come?
Old 04 August 2014, 02:16 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I

We're full!!
Absolutely, no more room at the inn!
Old 04 August 2014, 02:30 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Send them over, they can stay at mine
Old 04 August 2014, 04:11 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
David: yes, if they come through any other country we should deport them back there...and keep on doing so.

But we don't, because there are too many Martin 2005's about crying on their behalf.

There IS a reason why they all want to come here, it's not the climate, it's not that we have the jobs......I wonder what it could benefit them to come?
Ok if you're going to bring me into it (you immature little turd) then please substantiate each and every one of the wild claims you're making here.

To help you out here are a few facts...
As you will see from below we are ranked 5th, YES FIFTH in the EU in terms of the number of asylum applications recieved (behind Belgium)

As you can see the don't 'all' (ludicrous claim) want to come here.

You are the living embodyment of all that's is wrong and cynical in this country. You couldn't care less about the facts, you have a narrow world view that cannot be challenged. Either that or you're just plain thick.

I now expect your usual bluster and childish response in order to avoid facing the facts
Old 04 August 2014, 04:53 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Ok if you're going to bring me into it (you immature little turd) then please substantiate each and every one of the wild claims you're making here.

lololol Proper toys out the pram moment from Martin, did you drop something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JE10VNc.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	74345

Last edited by RA Dunk; 04 August 2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04 August 2014, 04:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
lololol Proper toys out the pram moment from Martin, did you drop something.

He's been doing a bit of that of late.
Old 04 August 2014, 06:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Can we please keep this on topic?

Quick Reply: Should Iraqi Christians be offered asylum in the UK?