Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Florida makes it illegal to disconnect from grid.

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2014, 12:12 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida makes it illegal to disconnect from grid.

http://www.trueactivist.com/florida-...iving-illegal/
Old 08 September 2014, 12:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i suspect there's alot more to this than the article claims, find it hard to believe a webiste called 'trueactavist' gives an impartial view lol
Old 08 September 2014, 12:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i suspect there's alot more to this than the article claims, find it hard to believe a webiste called 'trueactavist' gives an impartial view lol
Given your job I can understand your cynicism. Here's an alternative and more detailed account.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/artic...municipal-code
Old 08 September 2014, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

So there is way more to it then. Sounds like shes a bit of a nut job.

Can see both sides of the situation, she is breaking the law (what the code violations are) but she doesn't seem to be doing much to hurt anyone but herself (although dog health does come into it). Of she is using the sewers though she should be paying her way.

Law is very differn't over there, I bet if the council leave her be they risk being sued if she died.
Old 08 September 2014, 01:45 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz
Given your job I can understand your cynicism. Here's an alternative and more detailed account.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/artic...municipal-code
During the inspection, Speronis says, she berated one of the police officers: “I’m that much of a threat? A 54-year-old widow living by herself? How can you sleep at night?”
“Better than your dogs,” the officer responded.
“The most hazardous issues were the use of the stove and the propane lantern inside, as well as the recharging of the battery,” says Cassidy. “If she ends up blowing herself up or catching fire in that house, then it’s not, ‘why are you picking on this woman?’ It’s ‘why didn’t you do something about it?’ ”

I think that sums it up really. Firstly her dogs were not exactly having the best care and provision and secondly she was a danger to herself with the methods on which she chose to use to survive.

I find it a interesting subject though and I wonder just how much investment in technology she would need to make to become 100% within the law and to stay off grid.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 08 September 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08 September 2014, 02:29 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I thought it was already illegal in some states in the US to disconnect from the grid?
Old 08 September 2014, 02:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
I thought it was already illegal in some states in the US to disconnect from the grid?
dunno, but this is more a case of her not either doing it correctly or doing it in a way that means its self sufficient
Old 08 September 2014, 02:58 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
I think that sums it up really. Firstly her dogs were not exactly having the best care and provision and secondly she was a danger to herself with the methods on which she chose to use to survive.

I find it a interesting subject though and I wonder just how much investment in technology she would need to make to become 100% within the law and to stay off grid.
'On June 16 the city abruptly dropped the animal cruelty charges, saying it lacked proof. Speronis was released from jail and given back her dog. She returned to her home.'

I doubt it would be possible to completely be free of state intervention for her. Given that in some parts of the US it is illegal to collect rainwater that falls on your property.
Old 08 September 2014, 03:07 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
'On June 16 the city abruptly dropped the animal cruelty charges, saying it lacked proof. Speronis was released from jail and given back her dog. She returned to her home.'

I doubt it would be possible to completely be free of state intervention for her. Given that in some parts of the US it is illegal to collect rainwater that falls on your property.
I suspect it was a money/bad press thing rather than law thing. Just not a simple as its made out to be
Old 08 September 2014, 03:13 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Good ole' USA. Land of the free 'n' all that. Yeah right!
Old 08 September 2014, 05:35 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz

Complete and utter BS. The only laws anywhere in the US that have any reference to rainwater harvesting in fact actively encourage it, by means of tax exemptions and the like for purchasing the required equipment.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environ...arvesting.aspx
Old 09 September 2014, 06:36 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The world is a crazy place. My water comes off the roof through a filter and into a 70,000 litre tank, poo goes into the septic tank, it's the same for 80% of the people out here, more and more are using solar panels too as the cost goes down and about 95% of people use gas bottles, ooooooh and we all burn wood for heating too, scary.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 09 September 2014 at 06:40 AM.