Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Amsterdam recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2015, 06:15 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amsterdam recommendations

Off to Amsterdam for 4 nights near Xmas. Any top tips? I'm sure you'll all keep it clean/legal.
Old 09 November 2015, 06:22 PM
TylerD529
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legal? That's not an issue there lol
Was over there in June, stayed in the Tropen Hotel - conveniently right beside the Tropical Museum - was well worth a wander round.
The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh's also well worth a visit too
If you do the canal trip then be sure to do it during the day and in the evening - can enjoy the architechture during the day and at night the lights.
Don't buy your tram ticket daily - get a longer one as it's save a good few euro lol
Other than that you can sample other delights but that's entirely at your own discretion
Old 09 November 2015, 06:35 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by TylerD529
If you do the canal trip then be sure to do it during the day and in the evening - can enjoy the architechture during the day and at night the lights.

Other than that you can sample other delights but that's entirely at your own discretion
Looks like you had a 'good time' when there!

There is only day or night.
Or was there a twilight zone?
Old 09 November 2015, 07:35 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I was there in 2004, the decent ****** charged around 40-60 Euros, the cheaper big mammas were charging around 20 and struggled to get any takers.

A joint was around 3 Euros ready made and the beer was around £3.50 a pint.

Didn't get to visit The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh's, maybe next time.
Old 09 November 2015, 07:47 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I was there last year for a couple of days

We went to the science centre. Great day for adults and children conducting practical science projects. Spent nearly all day there

https://goo.gl/maps/6tyfcJFG1Qr

Next door is the maritime museum. Did a canal boat trip. China town is good for meal, right next door to the working girls. Lots of bars and café to see the world go by

Last edited by andy97; 09 November 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10 November 2015, 08:19 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
Off to Amsterdam for 4 nights near Xmas. Any top tips? I'm sure you'll all keep it clean/legal.
how old are you and who are you going with? I live in Amsterdam and can give you some tips
Old 10 November 2015, 08:26 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
how old are you and who are you going with? I live in Amsterdam and can give you some tips
You're going to be popular with long lost friends coming to stay at yours for a few nights

Trending Topics

Old 10 November 2015, 08:36 AM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Are you there for new year? Went a couple of years ago and it was awesome!
Old 10 November 2015, 08:54 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
You're going to be popular with long lost friends coming to stay at yours for a few nights
Been here 10 years now.....you kinda get used to it lol
Old 10 November 2015, 12:19 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Been here 10 years now.....you kinda get used to it lol
Planning a visit early next year with the Mrs. Living near Hull we have the option of going out Friday night and coming back in to Hull on Sunday morning, or we could stop one night in Amsterdam.

She's up for visiting the sex shows and that area in general but I doubt we can do that for most of the weekend, so just wondering if to cram everything in to a short day or chill out and spend a night there and arrive back in Hull on Monday morning. She does want to visit Anne Franks house so that's on the list of must do's.

Cheers

Q
Old 10 November 2015, 01:24 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Yep.
Stick to window shopping.....
Old 10 November 2015, 01:50 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Planning a visit early next year with the Mrs. Living near Hull we have the option of going out Friday night and coming back in to Hull on Sunday morning, or we could stop one night in Amsterdam.

She's up for visiting the sex shows and that area in general but I doubt we can do that for most of the weekend, so just wondering if to cram everything in to a short day or chill out and spend a night there and arrive back in Hull on Monday morning. She does want to visit Anne Franks house so that's on the list of must do's.

Cheers

Q
I would stay and go back the Monday. The RLD gets "meh" very quickly and you soon find yourself sick of the ******* around there.

Anne Frank House - prepare yourself for colossal queues!!!! And the worst part of that is there is very little in the house that is now original. People used to steal the wallpaper etc as a so called momento.

If you can get yourself an airbnb on one of the grachts then you are laughing (preferably the Jordaan area) but if you are on the other side then places like the brouwerij 't ij come into place......avoid bars on Dam square as they rape you on prices and are full of *******. Belgian beer places like De Zotte are great
Old 10 November 2015, 04:47 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Early 40s and going with her indoors. Insider information welcome!
Old 10 November 2015, 05:13 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Benji554
Are you there for new year? Went a couple of years ago and it was awesome!
Just before Xmas, but would love to have been there for New Year. Too many family commitments this time of year. Hoping to avoid all the tourist traps and not get ripped off.
Old 11 November 2015, 06:52 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do don't get high with your mate and end up in
a bar full of hells angels and your high mate nearly starts a
fight with all of the angels.

I ****ing **** myself lol.
Old 16 November 2015, 10:42 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 644 Likes on 470 Posts

I used to go every year , but too old now. Jordaan is a great area to stay in. `Dam is one of the best places for New Year in the world. Harleem on the coast is worth a visit, or stay there and travel into town.
Old 17 November 2015, 08:46 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Ok....here is a list of my suggestions based on a full two day stay over
I will list the places but you need to look up the addresses.

First thing get an OV chipcard or a day card for the metro/tram as it may come in handy.

1) Museum district.....van Gogh museum is there, Rijksmeum etc but queues are brutal and over priced in my opinion. Try the Tropen musuem which is cool. Whilst there jump across to the De Biertuin for a drink and some food.
2) Negenstraatjes (9 streets) and Jordaan......cool area for shoping and cafes and can just walk around and check out some antiques and stuff if that is your thing.
3)Boat tour....very cliche but is pretty cool.
4) NSDM werf......take the free boat from central station to NSDM werf....some cool bars and a colossal market called Ijhallen which may or may not be on depending on when you go.
5) Waterlooplein....a busy market on the Saturday selling some ok stuff
6) Food.....as with most cities lots of decent places....I would recommend Graceland for killer BBQ, Los Pilones for gooooood Mexican..... you should try a snack called kroketten from the FEBO. It is a hole-in-the-wall type place but is awesome....cost 1.40 euro for a kroketten.
7)Beers.....numerous good places such as De Zotte, Brouwerij 't IJ, Waterkant, Tales and Spirits (small and dark cocktail bar,.....pretty cool) Sky Lounge (great view but a bit pricey), Cafe Brecht (like a 1970s East German living room...is awesome).....try to avoid the pure tourist traps as they are overpriced and crap....basically any bar that has UK lads in tracksuits in it.

Need anything further then let me know
Old 19 November 2015, 10:35 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Ok....here is a list of my suggestions based on a full two day stay over
I will list the places but you need to look up the addresses.

First thing get an OV chipcard or a day card for the metro/tram as it may come in handy.

1) Museum district.....van Gogh museum is there, Rijksmeum etc but queues are brutal and over priced in my opinion. Try the Tropen musuem which is cool. Whilst there jump across to the De Biertuin for a drink and some food.
2) Negenstraatjes (9 streets) and Jordaan......cool area for shoping and cafes and can just walk around and check out some antiques and stuff if that is your thing.
3)Boat tour....very cliche but is pretty cool.
4) NSDM werf......take the free boat from central station to NSDM werf....some cool bars and a colossal market called Ijhallen which may or may not be on depending on when you go.
5) Waterlooplein....a busy market on the Saturday selling some ok stuff
6) Food.....as with most cities lots of decent places....I would recommend Graceland for killer BBQ, Los Pilones for gooooood Mexican..... you should try a snack called kroketten from the FEBO. It is a hole-in-the-wall type place but is awesome....cost 1.40 euro for a kroketten.
7)Beers.....numerous good places such as De Zotte, Brouwerij 't IJ, Waterkant, Tales and Spirits (small and dark cocktail bar,.....pretty cool) Sky Lounge (great view but a bit pricey), Cafe Brecht (like a 1970s East German living room...is awesome).....try to avoid the pure tourist traps as they are overpriced and crap....basically any bar that has UK lads in tracksuits in it.

Need anything further then let me know
Top man Thanks for taking the time.
Old 19 November 2015, 12:42 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

No problem, man.
Old 19 November 2015, 07:38 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Early 40s and going with her indoors. Insider information welcome!
Cause a argument the day before with the Mrs and take a pal.
Pay a bit more and leave the skanky ones alone
Christmas s coming so the doctors are busy with the coffin Dodgers at this time of year so pre book a appointment incase you come back with a unwelcome itch
Old 19 November 2015, 08:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2 tips from me, Van Gogh museum is an absolute must, you can't even begin to understand how good he was until you're actually stood in front of one of his paintings, I could quite easily spend several days in there.

2nd tip; If you're treading in muddy water, wear your boots.
Old 19 November 2015, 08:22 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
2 tips from me, Van Gogh museum is an absolute must, you can't even begin to understand how good he was until you're actually stood in front of one of his paintings, I could quite easily spend several days in there.

2nd tip; If you're treading in muddy water, wear your boots.
Art ....they have art museums there .
Never noticed

Double up with the boots and I hear 'oragel' is good for numbing up a bit to get your money's worth ....so a mate told me (morrisons sell it)
Old 20 November 2015, 07:11 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by donny andi
Art ....they have art museums there .
Never noticed

Double up with the boots and I hear 'oragel' is good for numbing up a bit to get your money's worth ....so a mate told me (morrisons sell it)
oragel.
Old 20 November 2015, 07:30 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 644 Likes on 470 Posts

Agree with Ditchy, I had never been to an art gallery, or understood how someone would pay millions for a painting, until I went to the Van Gogh museum; the paintings are arranged chronologically, and get more vivid and textured the madder he got !
Can be crowded