Thoughts?
Old 22 November 2015, 08:34 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Thoughts?
Just one really.
Why has the Church chosen this particular time to try and promote Christianity?
Old 22 November 2015, 09:00 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Just one really.
Why has the Church chosen this particular time to try and promote Christianity?
What, the run-up to Christmas? I trust your implication is not that she is capitalising on the Paris massacre! Besides, there's no way the whole thing could have been produced, submitted and subsequently rejected inside a week.
Old 22 November 2015, 09:17 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad its banned I don't want religion pushed on me when I go to the cinema or at any time for that matter
Old 22 November 2015, 09:20 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's a good decision, if people want to hear, sing or be involved with god of any description then they already have their places to do so.

I and I'm pretty sure most people go to the movies for a bit of relaxation/ light entertainment/ escapism from the outside world, I don't particularly want to be subjected to a load of religious happy clapping, if I did I'd go to church.

It would seem there are more of us not interested in religion than those that are, judging by the numbers in churches or lack of, so now the church wants to start advertising, what next Jesus loves you billboards all over towns and cities?

These religious types are always pushing their way onto the rest of us, personally I have had enough of religion of all flavours, time for a anti religion uprising.
Old 22 November 2015, 09:28 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

I don't want to see adverts for politics or religion when going to the cinema.
I am therefore glad that cinema bosses have chosen not to run the ad.
Old 22 November 2015, 09:34 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This will blow over when people start asking for the ................ (insert religion) mantra/prayer to be shown.
Not many complained when we stopped playing the National Anthem did they?
Old 22 November 2015, 10:00 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

All adverts should be banned from the cinema,it's all a form of brainwashing,I pay money to see a film not to be forced to watch such cr@p.
At least you have a choice to switch off in your own home.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:01 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I think it's a good decision, if people want to hear, sing or be involved with god of any description then they already have their places to do so.

I and I'm pretty sure most people go to the movies for a bit of relaxation/ light entertainment/ escapism from the outside world, I don't particularly want to be subjected to a load of religious happy clapping, if I did I'd go to church.

It would seem there are more of us not interested in religion than those that are, judging by the numbers in churches or lack of, so now the church wants to start advertising, what next Jesus loves you billboards all over towns and cities?

These religious types are always pushing their way onto the rest of us, personally I have had enough of religion of all flavours, time for a anti religion uprising.
Agree ^^^ POLITICS RELIGION AND THEN THE LAW HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED TO CONTROL HUMANS ON EARTH IN THAT ORDER WHATS NEXT....?? Oh yes we have the fourth in the form of terrorism but hey that's just my opinion
Old 22 November 2015, 10:10 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Must be the first time I agree with you on something Ditch.

I am pretty 'anti-religious' (probably an understatement). I've seen what religion has done to people in the middle-East on a first-hand basis. I do not want it shoved down my throat every time I step outside my front door, ESPECIALLY not somewhere like the cinema where I go to watch some good ol' escapism for a couple of hours.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:12 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I trust your implication is not that she is capitalising on the Paris massacre!
Oh the very thought of it! That Mother Church could be seen to capitalise on anything so opportunistic. Heavens above, people will be saying next it's just another business

As for the time constraints, I believe the Band Aid single of '84 was totally completed in 4 days.
And that really was for charity
Old 22 November 2015, 10:23 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peedee
Must be the first time I agree with you on something Ditch.

I am pretty 'anti-religious' (probably an understatement). I've seen what religion has done to people in the middle-East on a first-hand basis. I do not want it shoved down my throat every time I step outside my front door, ESPECIALLY not somewhere like the cinema where I go to watch some good ol' escapism for a couple of hours.
Nope you were agreeing with me on something else not so long ago too, careful you might start thinking of buying a WRX before too long.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:41 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The church that I am part of did advertise itself in the local cinema and the sports stadium.

However I do question how effective advertising is through this method, as far as I know not one person joined the church and it cost a considerable amount of finance to advertise in these environments.

I'm not 100% certain but I think the Anglican's have released a report about the lack of 'faith sharing' withing the ranks of their parish communities. This advertisement maybe part of their response and strategy in encouraging their people to be more pro-active in 'faith sharing.'

I do agree with Ossett2k2 that advertising ought to be banned in the cinema even though it's a income stream for them because I just want to enjoy the film I paid to watch unresticted.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:48 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is the report - could be wrong though.

https://www.churchofengland.org/medi.../gsmisc956.pdf
Old 22 November 2015, 11:12 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The cinema people were complete idiots for telling the Church they'd play the ad to begin with, but it's completely understandable (even if only in hindsight), that they'd say no now, on the basis that if they let the CoE screen ads, they'll have all sorts queuing up behind them wanting to screen theirs, including political parties, weirdo cults like the Scientologists, etc. Best to avoid the whole can of worms by saying no to everybody, but again, they should have done that from the start.
Old 22 November 2015, 11:36 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
All adverts should be banned from the cinema,it's all a form of brainwashing,I pay money to see a film not to be forced to watch such cr@p.
At least you have a choice to switch off in your own home.
Totally agree with your thoughts
Old 22 November 2015, 11:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This country missed a trick in 1988 when bringing in the Education Act...they should have got religion out of schools at that point, just like the USA and France.

Instead, we have a law that all pupils must have 1 hour a week of religious education, and that each day should begin with an act of corporate worship.
Lunacy.
Old 22 November 2015, 12:19 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The USA may have got religion out of Schools (although they try and push it in through the back for by getting Intelligent Design taught as an alternative to Evolution in school science classes)

They just seem to have shifted it to Politics - with a choice I would rather it in schools and out of politics

Anyway on the point of the thread, a compromise would be to screen Fast & Furious at the local village church
Old 22 November 2015, 12:20 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Religion causes so much pain and destruction.
At the same time is a great comfort and can heal the pain for many.

It should always be a choice tho,not thrust upon us,wether it be in a cinema or school.
Old 22 November 2015, 12:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Do not watch if easily offended:

Old 22 November 2015, 12:38 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Hodgy, haha! We have a cinema club on a Thursday.

Here's another offensive verse from the Bible that the kids did in Sunday school.

Old 22 November 2015, 01:25 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Hodgy, haha! We have a cinema club on a Thursday.

Here's another offensive verse from the Bible that the kids did in Sunday school.

Well said those kids.
You don't have to religious tho to share those sentiments.
Family can teach you to love and respect one another without the use of religion.
JT do you think the ads should be allowed to stay?
Old 22 November 2015, 01:56 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Well said those kids.
You don't have to religious tho to share those sentiments.
Family can teach you to love and respect one another without the use of religion.
JT do you think the ads should be allowed to stay?
It's a difficult one. As someone who's spent his life in business, I get why the media agency would avoid controversial advertisements and to be fair their policy says it does not advertise political or religious groups. As an evangelical Christian I wish to see the Word spread and as such support the church's effort. Additionally, as someone who espouses freedom of speech, I feel uncomfortable that something like the Lord's Prayer cannot be expressed for fear of 'causing offence'. Finally, I actually think the message of the prayer is beautiful and I feel that our culture is diminished for its fading eminence. In summary, I'm undecided, hence asking for people's thoughts.
Old 22 November 2015, 02:05 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

It's a difficult one. As someone who's spent his life in business, I get why the media agency would avoid controversial advertisements and to be fair their policy says it does not advertise political or religious groups. As an evangelical Christian I wish to see the Word spread and as such support the church's effort. Additionally, as someone who espouses freedom of speech, I feel uncomfortable that something like the Lord's Prayer cannot be expressed for fear of 'causing offence'. Finally, I actually think the message of the prayer is beautiful and I feel that our culture is diminished for its fading eminence. In summary, I'm undecided, hence asking for people's thoughts.
Hi,
I would not be offended if this advert was shown at a cinema - I simply think that it is a little inappropriate and a waste of church money and effort.
I liken it to visiting the cinema to find myself watching a party political broadcast - wrong time, place and frame of mind.
Cheers
Steve
Old 22 November 2015, 03:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My view is that

1. I don't know what exactly the advert involves. If it involves telling people that 'Jesus is the ONLY way', then I can see why it's not being allowed. If it says "Jesus is OUR only way" then I can't see the problem, although it would sound a bit restricted to me. But even then, I'll accept it as others' belief.

2. This sort of policy is a product of some developed mindsets, which I do appreciate. I hope this policy is equally applicable to all faiths, not just to Chritianity. But then again, why they allow Silent Night sung by half naked Beyoncé on adverts is beyond me. Perhaps her half naked voice supersedes the thought of the religious Jesus, that's why.

3. Accepting the advert that exhibits faith, if not glorifies as the ONLY one is an act of a developed mindset, too. Therefore, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

I still need to know what's exactly in that advert before I can make a clear judgement on it. Post the link to the advert, not the link to the advert of the advert.

Also, I find this act of people finding some very small things offensive quite offensive, actually. Please take no offence of me calling 'it' 'small'. What I mean is that someone's faith need not offend me just because it exists, as long as it doesn't harm me. If it does, then I need to get myself sorted. Yes, I do agree that what that faith might consist could be an issue.
Old 22 November 2015, 03:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I'd also like to add that this country stems from the faith ground known as Christianity. The venues including cinemas need not be hesitant in making a show of this faith because the landscape has become Liquorice Allsorts. Whoever finds that show offensive needs to get a life.

I still need to know what EXACTLY is there in that advert. - that's on individual level....

I still appreciate that sort of policy that cuts ALL crap with one shot. - that's on organisational level.
Old 22 November 2015, 03:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Post 20, Swati. Welcome back. X
Old 22 November 2015, 03:31 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
My view is that

1. I don't know what exactly the advert involves. If it involves telling people that 'Jesus is the ONLY way', then I can see why it's not being allowed. If it says "Jesus is OUR only way" then I can't see the problem, although it would sound a bit restricted to me. But even then, I'll accept it as others' belief.

2. This sort of policy is a product of some developed mindsets, which I do appreciate. I hope this policy is equally applicable to all faiths, not just to Chritianity. But then again, why they allow Silent Night sung by half naked Beyoncé on adverts is beyond me. Perhaps her half naked voice supersedes the thought of the religious Jesus, that's why.

3. Accepting the advert that exhibits faith, if not glorifies as the ONLY one is an act of a developed mindset, too. Therefore, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

I still need to know what's exactly in that advert before I can make a clear judgement on it. Post the link to the advert, not the link to the advert of the advert.

Also, I find this act of people finding some very small things offensive quite offensive, actually. Please take no offence of me calling 'it' 'small'. What I mean is that someone's faith need not offend me just because it exists, as long as it doesn't harm me. If it does, then I need to get myself sorted. Yes, I do agree that what that faith might consist could be an issue.
Hi,
If you click the BBC link in the first post - it takes you to the BBC story and you can watch a copy of the advert for yourself.
I actually think it is very well done - I just wouldn't want to see it at a cinema, before a film.
Cheers
Steve
Old 22 November 2015, 03:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Post 20, Swati. Welcome back. X

Thank you, James. X

Will look at that.

Originally Posted by steve05wrx
Hi,
If you click the BBC link in the first post - it takes you to the BBC story and you can watch a copy of the advert for yourself.
I actually think it is very well done - I just wouldn't want to see it at a cinema, before a film.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks, Steve.
Old 22 November 2015, 04:09 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm all for a non religious state, just need somewhere to set one up Perhaps a land grab like Israel like to do

Quick Reply: Lord's Prayer cinema ad ban.