Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2015, 09:23 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best Navigation?

I thought about the computer section, but this isn't a techy question.

The Nav in my Insignia is up to date and is has traffic updates, but honestly, it's a bit ****. It warns me about queues but never avoids them and it always takes me on the M25 even if I'm going to Scotland and starting off from Newcastle ..

So I've been looking for something I can install on my phone .. Waze seemed perfect, till I read about how the Police can identify you and pull off your driving data.

Anyone recommend an app that will actually navigate me around traffic?
Old 22 November 2015, 11:07 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you may find looking at the parameters and adjusting them may help, my navman was greatly improved just by setting it to avoid toll roads, when I hit traffic or get warnings I just turn off and drive for a few miles in the general direction that I'm headed in and ignore the perform a U turn for a bit until it starts to calculate a route that doesn't involve going back to where I have just come from.

Always works.

I bought my Mrs the top of the range tom tom with the realtime subscription (or whatever it's called) thrown in and that's still like mine and doesn't re route until you force it to, so I guess they're all a bit similar in their software as it seems to depend on the time length of the delay compared to the time taken on re-route / milage, I always prefer to be moving than stuck in traffic as it's a ball ache clutch up, clutch down, just to move 10m and stop some **** que hopping.
Old 22 November 2015, 11:25 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't work on the motorway that ditch ,
I use navmii free works for me when it's needed
Old 22 November 2015, 08:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

yeah, the ****er keeps taking me back to where the traffic is.
Old 22 November 2015, 09:40 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Doesn't google's own app react automatically to draffic hold-ups? Or is it just not reliable enough in other ways?
Old 23 November 2015, 07:25 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

It doesn't auto reroute for me, which is the big one. My Tomtom offers faster routes but my misses uses that.
Old 23 November 2015, 08:08 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
Won't work on the motorway that ditch ,
I use navmii free works for me when it's needed
Yes I know, that's why I ignore it for a few miles, maybe mine works better because there are more routes to choose from in Europe, but if you're on the M1 heading for London there's not really much in the way of a choice, same once travelling on most of the UK's motorways which is why I think it's such a problem.

In my day before all this satnav mallarkey I used to have about 15/20 maps in the car and a good large one sometimes 2 as the detail can be better on one or the other depending on which page you're on.

I still always have a map in the car for the exact reason this thread is about, satnavs can be great sometimes but they can also be a royal pain in the $rse.
Old 23 November 2015, 12:44 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

I use Google maps for navigation, never had a problem with it and it does what i need it to do. It re-routes you pretty quickly if you come off route, obviously it doesn't have a lot of the features that a dedicated sat nav has but still it's very good and it's free.
Old 23 November 2015, 01:20 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sygic is worth a look - although the developers changed the interface recently and I dont find it as good as it was previously, the core of the product remains unchanged.
Old 23 November 2015, 01:32 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Traffic master is slow to update the current situation. Traffic feature on Google maps is very accurate. I believe it use the phones Mobile signal to see if it's moving. Traffic master has in the past said that there is a traffic jam whilst google maps indicates that the jam has cleared, upon arriving at said traffic problem google has always been alot more accurate.
Old 23 November 2015, 03:04 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Doesn't google's own app react automatically to draffic hold-ups? Or is it just not reliable enough in other ways?
It does! Becuase its connected to the internet from your phone, it always always works better than sat nav systems that run off of a memory card or DVD.
Old 24 November 2015, 06:40 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
It does! Becuase its connected to the internet from your phone, it always always works better than sat nav systems that run off of a memory card or DVD.

yeah, so what happens if I loose signal? I assume it saves the journey locally and I wont just get binned off when signal goes?
Old 24 November 2015, 07:57 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
yeah, so what happens if I loose signal? I assume it saves the journey locally and I wont just get binned off when signal goes?
How is any satnav that uses live traffic information to calculate your route supposed to work if it's not connected to the Internet? Anyway, to answer your question, Google maps does store most of your route locally now, so you'd have to be driving through a pretty enormous signal dead-spot for it to totally lose track of where you are and where you're supposed to be goiing mid-journey. You'd obviously be in trouble if you're already in a dead spot before you've even programmed the route though.
Old 24 November 2015, 09:51 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Yep, i lost signal, then crapped my pants, but was relieved to see the Google maps still giving me directions. Dont know how long it would have kept on doing that for though!

In the scale of things, its still than any system that uses a disk or have a map on some sort of memory/storage device. Because Google Maps will re-direct you in the case of new traffic and give you quicker alternative routes as they become available.

If there was a double din that connected to the internet, with maybe a data chip, that would be amazing!
Old 26 November 2015, 07:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
How is any satnav that uses live traffic information to calculate your route supposed to work if it's not connected to the Internet? Anyway, to answer your question, Google maps does store most of your route locally now, so you'd have to be driving through a pretty enormous signal dead-spot for it to totally lose track of where you are and where you're supposed to be goiing mid-journey. You'd obviously be in trouble if you're already in a dead spot before you've even programmed the route though.
The traffic reporting wasn't my point, clearly.

I used Waze this week and it routed me around a road block and a motorway queue without a word from me.

Very impressed and it's free.
Old 26 November 2015, 12:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

used sygic all across Zim this last month , no internet connection req