Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2015, 09:53 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending or Giving Christmas Cards

Do you do that?

Some of my mates don't.

Not that I mind, but I do mind when they make false excuse of donating their Christmas card expense to some charity instead. I mean, a box of 50 Christmas cards can only cost as low as pound from the Pound Shop these days FFS! Thing is, these people can't be bothered with sitting and writing Christmas cards, and want to escape reciprocating others' warm wishes via a card. Christmas only comes once a year, and I can't believe some people can be so mean!

OK, let's not go as far as calling them mean, but they certainly aren't as truthful to themselves and others. They should just say that they can't be bothered with a plethora of Christmas cards in front of them, and with giving their family and friends individual attention by preparing and handing out/posting the cards to them.

Do you send Christmas cards? I do. I don't do it at work, because if I did, I'd have to make/buy/distribute hundreds of Christmas cards. But I love giving them to my loved ones and liked ones. I know it's my choice, and I don't expect a card back or anything. But I just don't like people pretending to be all charity-minded, whereas the real reason is that they can't be awrsed.
Old 15 December 2015, 12:09 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Personally I don't (same with birthday cards to a certain extent), really can't see the point. The just get put on a shelf for a few weeks and then binned.

I tend to wish people a happy Christmas in person if/when I see them/speak to them instead.
Old 15 December 2015, 12:54 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Nope I don't do Xmas cards cannot see the point, TBH I don't really do birthday or any other cards unless I am forced to do so...Wifey likes a birthday one and she sorts the kids out.

I don't need to send a card to tell people I am thinking of them / love them etc they know that already because of what I do for them elsewhere.

Sending work colleagues a card too IMO is pointless, it gets stuck to a door or somewhere for a week or 2 then chucked away be better off, I prefer to bring in some chocs or cakes which are enjoyed more by people.

Just my opinion though, and after all my wife things i am a miserable sod when it come to Xmas, she would be right however ;-)
Old 15 December 2015, 01:24 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Xmas cards are dying out slowly, don't get any in our office now apart from 'corporate' ones advertising themselves.....

I like to think of the millions of trees & manufacturing processes we've saved
Old 15 December 2015, 01:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

At least you two (Neil and Paul) are honest. You can't see the point, prefer face-to-face greetings or by other means are honest reasons for not giving out Christmas cards. It's the 'charity' excuse that is a ridiculous mask which slips in advance before putting it on. I'd rather people be honest.

I've already told one or two people from real life that I won't be sending them any Christmas cards because I don't like them. I admire my honesty; harsh it may be. I don't go around putting on Facebook or Twitter that I won't be sending cards to those two buffoons because I'll be giving their Christmas card expense to some charity. That's will be a lie, and people should try to lie as little as possible. TBH, I should just do that, anyway. Not lie, but give their Christmas card expense to RSPCA.
Old 15 December 2015, 01:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Nope I don't do Xmas cards cannot see the point, TBH I don't really do birthday or any other cards unless I am forced to do so...Wifey likes a birthday one and she sorts the kids out.

I don't need to send a card to tell people I am thinking of them / love them etc they know that already because of what I do for them elsewhere.

Sending work colleagues a card too IMO is pointless, it gets stuck to a door or somewhere for a week or 2 then chucked away be better off, I prefer to bring in some chocs or cakes which are enjoyed more by people.

Just my opinion though, and after all my wife things i am a miserable sod when it come to Xmas, she would be right however ;-)
At work, I just circulate a Happy Christmas email to my work colleagues, with a Google image of either a lit up Christmas Tree, or a fat Santa stuck upside down in a chimely or barking reindeers etc.
Old 15 December 2015, 01:38 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I tried to edit my #6 as I meant to quote and comment on Dr. Hu's #4, but it wouldn't let me. Something is not right with SN today. Technical glitch, I think.

Anyway.
Old 15 December 2015, 03:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Scribble out last years message adding your own and send back , save a fortune
Old 15 December 2015, 07:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Scribble out last years message adding your own and send back , save a fortune
Some people do that for emotional value. I know someone that does that. Nothing to do with saving a fortune, but imagine just one same card to and fro, with repeated Christmas greetings every year, for over ten or twenty years? That card becomes very, very special to the one who sends and receives it.
Old 15 December 2015, 09:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I mean, a box of 50 Christmas cards can only cost as low as pound from the Pound Shop these days FFS!
..but then add on well over fifty pence in postage for each card and things add up!

Luckily i have a few books of first-class stamps from last year, still with the old Chrimbo pictures, that will only cost last year's prices

However, being serious - i still think that it is worth it sending a real, physical card to proper friends and family - whether by royal mail or popping round to hand deliver and have a catch-up. You can always donate to charity separately

mb
Old 15 December 2015, 11:29 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I send to family, and some friends. I do also put a Merry Christmas wish up on facebook too.

As for work, until this year, I have always sat and written one out to everyone. The same people never, ever wrote ones out (even in return to the ones they received) and so many didn't even get picked up, that this year we are doing the charity thing. The reason for doing so is the above, but the giving is genuine. We have a charity of the year at work, and they send us stuff of theirs to sell to raise funds, one item being Christmas tree decorations. We have decided to all just buy one each and put it on our tree in the staff canteen. I will still send cards to the people I'm closer too, though.
Old 16 December 2015, 12:05 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Apart from sending one to father xmas with my presents list i don't really bother, i still aint got the 22b that i've been asking him for.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 16 December 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 16 December 2015, 07:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I reject most of the capitalist concepts that have polluted the celebration of Christmas. The waste of resources and time and extra stress and expectance to conform or be labelled a Scrooge. Presents and cards is two of the them.

I do dish out cards for sakes of keeping the peace (I'd rather not), but the are they cheapest (and moulted glitter all over the place ), I use pre printed address labels so I don't waste hours writing them all, and I stick a few quid on the franking machine at work for the postage (franking is a few pence cheaper).

Can't really be arsed about the turkey either....I mean what's eating a sodding bird got to do with the birth of Christ?

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 December 2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:57 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

I don't, however donate money to the Cancer care hospital where my Father-in-law was looked after before he died at Christmas.

I put a note on my door every year explaining this to my friends and neighbour who give me one.
Old 16 December 2015, 11:12 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have not sent Christmas cards for years. Main reason being I simply cannot be bothered doing it. The cards mean nothing to me.
Old 16 December 2015, 11:29 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can't really be arsed about the turkey either....I mean what's eating a sodding bird got to do with the birth of Christ?
**** all
Old 17 December 2015, 09:23 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

I don't send any, my wife does though.

She works at the same place as me, so everyone gives their card to her, although they are to the both of us, so her office is covered in them and I have he odd one from suppliers that I have never hard of.

Also do the donate to Macmillan thing as well.
Old 18 December 2015, 01:19 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well I never buy Christmas cards from shops, but I give out/send my hand crafted ones to my family members, favourite people, neighbours and some other acquaintances that are worthy of them. It's not an altruistic act of my social niceness, as the pleasure I receive in crafting them is entirely and genuinely mine.
Old 18 December 2015, 12:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've done 11 this year. Immediate family, few friends who I know will do the same.

When me and my ex were together, she'd make hand made crafting cards.

I just popped to Asda and bought some jazzy ones for about £20.
Old 18 December 2015, 12:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sorry to know about you and Nat, Chocolate. But keep smiling and keep raving, mate. I wish you a very merry Christmas and a very happy 'turning a leaf' new year, via my invisible Christmas cyber card.
Old 18 December 2015, 12:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Haha, I'm fine Swati. You know what they say, the best way to get over someone is her under somebody else.
Old 18 December 2015, 02:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Haha, I'm fine Swati. You know what they say, the best way to get over someone is her under somebody else.
That's the spirit.
Old 18 December 2015, 08:59 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I've done 11 this year. Immediate family, few friends who I know will do the same.
Mine better be in the post!!

Old 18 December 2015, 09:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I send some cards to friends, which reminds me, I better pull my finger out and buy some and get them posted.
Old 18 December 2015, 10:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes we do

My wife is addicted to Christmas (prob not as much as swisstony's though)

In fact she insists on hand making ours

Ever since I met her, some 35 years ago I have been trying to reset her expectations regarding birthdays (hers is tomorrow) and Xmas, but not helped by her being insanely spoilt as a child lol

(The above is true but actually she is incredibly down to earth - she has to be to put up with me)

But she simply won't learn - and sadly it has affected our 5 children :-)

Still - I think she will be happy with her combined birthday / Xmas present of a homemade wellington boot holder !!!!!!!

Wish me luck !!!!

At least it has not got a "plug" - good advice that

Never buy a woman a present with a plug

Although batteries are (apparently) ok

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 December 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 18 December 2015, 10:41 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

We need pictures, of both the welly holder and the reaction on he face when she opens it
Old 18 December 2015, 10:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol

Will do
Old 24 December 2015, 10:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well, when I was prepping the veg etc. for tomorrow, I saw a Christmas card from someone hanging out of my front door's letter slot this afternoon. Christmas Eve is a bit too late for the Christmas card hand delivery imo. In addition, I don't get Christmas cards from random peeps nor do I send random cards to random peeps. So, I was a bit confused. The sender didn't know me at all, so inside a blank envelope, it was simply addressed to "you and your family"- whoever it would be. As the sender had put their address at the bottom of the card, I picked up the phone and made some inquiries. I was informed that it's an isolated ex-army person with mental health issues, who went round dropping his Christmas cards to a few houses around him today. Apparently he hardly ever comes out of his house, only the health care professionals are seen in and out of his pad, he keeps his curtains shut all the time and just carries on in his own little world.

Needless to say that I have reciprocated, and this happening makes me value the Christmas cards exchange tradition even more.