Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2015, 01:39 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Not a good move by the US if it's for no reason

Are they really THAT stupid in the US:

http://news.sky.com/story/1611036/us...-dream-holiday

However not believing the press in ever telling the whole truth i'd like to know if there is more to the story than is being reported such as any family members having previously travelled to Syria/Afghanistan/Pakistan etc.
Old 23 December 2015, 01:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it would be interesting to know why, because on the face of it that is a shocker.

However, if other Muslim families are not being barred, then I suspect, as you say that either they have travelled to a 'forbidden' country or they have fmaily members of friends who have.
Old 23 December 2015, 03:10 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

They stopped Cat Stevens entering in 2004.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3678694.stm
Old 23 December 2015, 04:13 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's wrong but the thing that got me was that his brother has 9 children
Old 23 December 2015, 04:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Forgive me if this isn't right, but I was under the impression that US customs was in America?

So...you get on the flight, get off wherever, are refused entry and fly back?

I've NEVER heard of anyone being refused entry to a flight before?

Something here smells bad.
Old 23 December 2015, 04:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the US require advance notice of travel

so I suspect they are within their rights

it does smell a bit fishy though

I would put much past the US - but can't believe they would do this without some reason, however small

they do list quite strict requirements around previous travel to Iraq/Iran etc

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 23 December 2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 23 December 2015, 05:43 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

How dare a country say who can and cant enter it! Who do they think they are?! Everyone has a RIGHT to go ANYWHERE they want. Its outrageous. I'm going to start a hashtag, and maybe a petition to No10, that'll show them! People power! Fascist jackboot on the neck of the downtrodden is what it is

Last edited by warrenm2; 23 December 2015 at 05:44 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2015, 05:47 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 23 December 2015, 06:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

They've always been OTT on security; They been doing racial and character profiling for decades..even on the UK side before check-in.

Basically, if your young, male, not American and not travelling with a female, they'll single you out and do a full luggage search before even being allowed to check-in...bear in mind that was 1999...the last time I visited the states.

Obviously if there is anything awry with travel documents, intended place of stay, or you give a bit of lip, its game over as you ain't getting on that plane.
Old 23 December 2015, 06:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
They've always been OTT on security; They been doing racial and character profiling for decades..even on the UK side before check-in.

Basically, if your young, male, not American and not travelling with a female, they'll single you out and do a full luggage search before even being allowed to check-in...bear in mind that was 1999...the last time I visited the states.

Obviously if there is anything awry with travel documents, intended place of stay, or you give a bit of lip, its game over as you ain't getting on that plane.
Did they go full cavity on you Ali?
Old 23 December 2015, 07:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

UK doesn't from what I can tell, have US preclearance, so there isn't, as there is in Canada (certainly toronto) the ability to clear US immigration before leaving your country.

The BBC article mentions: "A man from UK Border Force came and said, 'I'm sorry you can't board this flight. We received a call from Washington DC that we can't allow this family to board the flight'."

Obviously something has been flagged up, wether it's because they're muslim, or travel history shows they've been to places the US doesn't like, or whomever they are visiting isn't liked by the US. No-one knows for certain, except the US and they seemingly don't want to say why, and being blunt, they don't have to.

I'd be interested to see what people said if the UK were to deny someone boarding a flight to the UK.
Old 23 December 2015, 08:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well he's got big arms , and tats

Old 23 December 2015, 08:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

NINE children, though? They are probably afraid he'll breed over there and claim citizenship.
Old 23 December 2015, 08:21 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I'd be a bit hacked off if France refused me entry as I have a house there, but I'm of the opinion that it's up to any other country whether they do or don't and I'd much rather know before I travelled than waste my time going and get sent back again.

Seems to me that the current unpredictable and anti-social behaviour of a significant number of Muslims merits a bit of racial profiling etc. The delays at airport security would halve overnight if we kicked political correctness where it belongs.

As for the U.S., any doubts and why risk it, he ain't coming in.
I suspect I won't have any issues entering the U.S. any time soon, but if some extreme group of 40-something middle-class daydreamers start randomly executing people and threatening to blow things up then I expect I'll have to suffer the scrutiny along with the Muslims.
Old 23 December 2015, 08:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
NINE children, though? They are probably afraid he'll breed over there and claim citizenship.
Does the US allow that though? I thought that the child would be a US Citizen, but the parent(s) would not be eligible to become US citizens based on just their child becoming a citizen by being born there, they would, at the very least, probably need to be legally resident in the US.
Old 23 December 2015, 09:01 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
He may leave a couple behind.
Old 23 December 2015, 09:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

actually thought if you had children back home at all youd never get full citizenship and quite possible not even allowed to stay
Old 23 December 2015, 09:24 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was reported on the radio earlier today LBC when interviewing the woman,that one of her family members who was also traveling to the states with them,was denied entry into Syria eight years ago.
Old 23 December 2015, 09:41 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This gentlemen is a close friend of mine, having worked with him on London Underground station upgrade projects for the last decade, I've never come across a chap that works as hard as this guy. Him and his family are as straight as they come... Interested in hearing an explanation from the UK/US embassy on this matter
Old 24 December 2015, 08:23 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harryr34
This gentlemen is a close friend of mine, having worked with him on London Underground station upgrade projects for the last decade, I've never come across a chap that works as hard as this guy. Him and his family are as straight as they come... Interested in hearing an explanation from the UK/US embassy on this matter
Most people say the same kind of thing normally after some loony has gone on a rampage.
Obviously they are or know of someone whether through family or wherever that are a bit tapped in the head.
There was a couple not far from where I live , nice couple , never argued , good jobs.....he flipped and killed her .

Nice couple though

You never know what goes on behind closed doors
Old 24 December 2015, 04:43 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by donny andi
Most people say the same kind of thing normally after some loony has gone on a rampage.
Obviously they are or know of someone whether through family or wherever that are a bit tapped in the head.
There was a couple not far from where I live , nice couple , never argued , good jobs.....he flipped and killed her .

Nice couple though

You never know what goes on behind closed doors
The thing is, this isn't some loony that had gone on a rampage, no one flipped and nobody has been killed!

This is a good friend of mine whom was about to take his family on holiday/visit his brother in the states. I know the family very well therefore I'd put my house on the fact that there is no valid reason for him or his family to be banned from entering the states.

You're right, you never know what happens behind closed doors therefore we'll assume they're guilty until proven innocent
Old 24 December 2015, 05:35 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

or we can assume that entering another country is a privilege and NOT a right
Old 24 December 2015, 06:12 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think everyone has a right to visit the USA. The rest of the world has been invaded and polluted by US junk culture for decades. Let them see the god-awful reality.

According to the relative in LA, he prays at the same mosque as the couple who did the San Bernadino shootings, although he didn't know them, and wouldn't recognise them. A very tenuous link, but a possible explanation?
Old 24 December 2015, 06:26 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
or we can assume that entering another country is a privilege and NOT a right
Might be worth reminding the Americans of that at some point...
Old 24 December 2015, 07:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
lol
Old 24 December 2015, 10:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h

Good point.
Old 26 December 2015, 01:09 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Homeland can refuse anyone travel and I bet there is more to it than what they say as there is always two sides and then the truth. They want to think themselves lucky they aren't in California as I'm there now and the weather is terrible as there is constant storms sweeping the whole coast. Even Los Angeles is only 16 degrees and raining.
Old 26 December 2015, 08:14 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

How come nobody has mentioned the reason why? Or was it in the video?

I watched the news on this story and they interviewed him, was something to do with his status on some website being set to 'Taliban' or something?

The asked him and he said he didn't know how it happened, could have been hacked lol

Sorry, but if that's true I'm with the US! We can't even joke about having a bomb otherwise we'll get butt searched at the airport.

What would have happened if that came out after they'd hijacked the aircraft? Everyone would have been throwing a fit if they knew about it before hand.

And obviously the guy is 'as straight as a die' I don't think I've heard an interview yet from a friend or relative of a murdering nut job saying "oh yeah, everyone knew he was going to gun down loads of people"

And just for the record, I'm only commenting on relation to the interview I saw. It may be true what he said, but like I say why should he be able to get away with that if we can't even joke about anything serious before boarding a flight.

Last edited by jameswrx; 26 December 2015 at 08:18 AM.