Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recruitment Consultants

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2017, 06:48 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Recruitment Consultants

Seriously, what an utter bunch of c&nts they are!

Its very rare that a role that is ideal for me pops up on my doorstep.

I'm an IT consultant with almost 20 years experience and have a pretty strong CV. Anyway two jobs this past week have popped up that I've applied for in my home town. Now I'm aware that the market place is pretty competitive but my home town of Doncaster isn't exactly rife with people of my experience and I'm a very good match for these two roles based on the descriptions they've supplied.

Without so much as a phone call to discuss I've been told I'm unsuccessful.

My wife is a HR director of a large multi national and has done my CV for me so that's not the issue.

One was a couple of weeks ago where I got the standard if you haven't heard from us within 7 days assume you've not been successful blah blah blah. Anyway I was such a good match for it I sent them a follow up letter explaining how my experienced matched the role very well and that I can offer excellent references. Not even the courtesy of a reply.

Makes my p155 boil that these tw@ts get the money they do when they lack any kind of professionalism.
Old 01 November 2017, 07:25 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dazdavies

I'm an IT consultant with almost 20 years experience and have a pretty strong CV. Anyway two jobs this past week have popped up that I've applied for in my home town. Now I'm aware that the market place is pretty competitive but my home town of Doncaster isn't exactly rife with people of my experience and I'm a very good match for these two roles based on the descriptions they've supplied.

My wife is a HR director of a large multi national and has done my CV for me so that's not the issue.

One was a couple of weeks ago where I got the standard if you haven't heard from us within 7 days assume you've not been successful blah blah blah. Anyway I was such a good match for it I sent them a follow up letter explaining how my experienced matched the role very well and that I can offer excellent references. Not even the courtesy of a reply.

Makes my p155 boil that these tw@ts get the money they do when they lack any kind of professionalism.
Yeah, recruitment consultants can be a bit 'interesting' to deal with and can be/seem morally corrupt but the scenario you are describing is not really one that I would say adds up to anything more than there being other people out there who are better suited to the requirements of the employer.

Apparently Doncaster has over 100,000 people directly living there and their small business and skills levels of the town are growing rapidly in 2017. So, there may have been a lot of people going for that job, actually. Also, maybe there were lots of people willing to commute to the job, who may have applied from outside of the immediate area?

Also, companies are not great at getting back to people they don't want to hire. It's a pain and it can seem rude but it's not personal.

I ran recruitment for a while where I work and over 3 months the 400+ people who applied for jobs all had a response of some kind. That is not the norm, though, not by a mile and I can see how some people/companies would opt to just not reply when a job has been heavily applied for.

I have felt the same as you, when on the other side of the fence, though. Recruitment consultants only really tend to care about the commission they get from placing a person, so they don't tend to give a hoot about those who don't meet their clients criteria. This is dumb, though, as you could be a very useful asset to them for a future role elsewhere!!

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 01 November 2017, 08:17 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

That's my point. How can they make the decision to not put me forward without even talking to me first? The required skill combination was quite niche so would not involve a large number of applicants.

It's just frustrating to not even have the chance to meet the client and let them make the decision. You get some moron consultant that hasn't got a clue what half of the skills the client asks for actually are and yet they make some snap, I'll informed decision and that's that.
Pity as apart from one, every interview I've attended I ended up getting offered the job.

Nobbers the lot of them!!
Old 01 November 2017, 08:33 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's my point. How can they make the decision to not put me forward without even talking to me first? The required skill combination was quite niche so would not involve a large number of applicants.

It's just frustrating to not even have the chance to meet the client and let them make the decision. You get some moron consultant that hasn't got a clue what half of the skills the client asks for actually are and yet they make some snap, I'll informed decision and that's that.
Pity as apart from one, every interview I've attended I ended up getting offered the job.

Nobbers the lot of them!!
Yeah, man, that does sound a bit crappy actually. They could at least put you forward for the role! Sorry I read that a bit differently to begin with. Well, their loss. What's meant for you will no go past you, as they say! Onwards!
Old 01 November 2017, 10:02 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Indeed. I'm just venting
Old 01 November 2017, 10:03 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given what you have said Daz - I would say it is highly likely that the advert was only sent out as a tick box exercise, and they already had someone to fill the role (this is unfortunately not unusual).
Old 01 November 2017, 10:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Do you know the companies?

If so I would write directly to the CEO and say how you could help and ask for a chat. F,uck the recruitment *******.

Don't give up and good luck. David

PS. Can you put an intro and your CV on a disc and send it to CEO?

Trending Topics

Old 01 November 2017, 11:05 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I've always found it amusing how people in recruitment call themselves ‘consultants’. In every other career, a consultant is an expert who has been in their field for years, except for recruitment, where everyone is a consultant from the off lol
Old 01 November 2017, 11:11 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Same Daz, just gone self employed and cant stand dealing with agencies to find work. They keep adverts up to keep the phone hot or just send me stuff that is irrelevant to my job seeker profile. End of the day, they dont give a toss aslong as theyre getting paid
Old 01 November 2017, 11:32 PM
TheAngryFerret
Scooby Regular

Im sure most of the jobs advertised are just fishing for peoples details to get on record. I had similar recently where i got offered everything other than what i applied for. Granted i got offered better positions on paper but they weren't what or where i wanted.
Old 02 November 2017, 07:06 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's part of employment law now that companies have to advertise vacant positions... most of the time these positions are being filled from within the company... so they're just effectively staying on the right side of the law by putting it out there... they even go as far as interviewing half a dozen or so people... Last place my mrs worked at did this all the time... even to her for one of the roles they'd already told her was going to be hers but they had to go through the process.
Old 02 November 2017, 10:54 AM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I work for agencies all the time
i would guess the job had gone straight away but they won't tell you in case the person doesn't turn up or the company are not happy with him
Old 02 November 2017, 12:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I think it's part of employment law now that companies have to advertise vacant positions... most of the time these positions are being filled from within the company... so they're just effectively staying on the right side of the law by putting it out there... they even go as far as interviewing half a dozen or so people... Last place my mrs worked at did this all the time... even to her for one of the roles they'd already told her was going to be hers but they had to go through the process.
Nope, don't have to advertise external if they don't want to, sounds like it was the mrs company policy.

I expect its a case of your salary expectation is alot higher than they are prepared to pay Daz. Not saying your asking too much, just hey arn't prepared to pay what ever it is.
Old 02 November 2017, 01:08 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by wrighty338
Same Daz, just gone self employed and cant stand dealing with agencies to find work. They keep adverts up to keep the phone hot or just send me stuff that is irrelevant to my job seeker profile. End of the day, they dont give a toss aslong as theyre getting paid
^This. Letting agents do the exact same thing with flats (I don't rent, but have helped younger relatives look for places several times in the past).

They should all be prosecuted for fraud and billed for every hour of people's time they waste with their stupid BS.
Old 02 November 2017, 02:16 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Nope, don't have to advertise external if they don't want to, sounds like it was the mrs company policy.

I expect its a case of your salary expectation is alot higher than they are prepared to pay Daz. Not saying your asking too much, just hey arn't prepared to pay what ever it is.
They dont even know my salary expectations which is my point. They should pick up the phone and atleast talk to me first. That way they can find out such answers.
Old 02 November 2017, 02:17 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andycat
I work for agencies all the time
i would guess the job had gone straight away but they won't tell you in case the person doesn't turn up or the company are not happy with him
Its been advertised for about 3 weeks now.
Old 02 November 2017, 02:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

They dont even know my salary expectations which is my point. They should pick up the phone and atleast talk to me first. That way they can find out such answers.
I would guess they took a guess at the going rate for someone with 20 years experience and decided that was higher than they wanted to pay.

Short version, your too experienced.
Old 02 November 2017, 02:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp
Given what you have said Daz - I would say it is highly likely that the advert was only sent out as a tick box exercise, and they already had someone to fill the role (this is unfortunately not unusual).

I got this alot back in the day; big companies advertising in various outlets, when it transpires that their HR departments only employed staff via one agency. The job adverts were simply for promotional and/and meeting various legal/contractual criteria.

Annoying at the time when I was out of work. When phoning, the HR dept could have easily pointed me I the direction of their preferred recruitment agency and I'd have happily applied there.

Although I do place recruitment agencies in the heirachy inbetween car salesmen and estate agents, when it comes to "selling" a job that nobody wants.
Old 02 November 2017, 02:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Funniest thing is i got told by decathlon i didnt have the right experience to work in the racket sports section when i was younger, despite playing badminton for 10 years and being a qualified badminton coach hahaha

Short version, they wanted minimum wage teenager cos it was cheaper.
Old 07 November 2017, 12:47 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What IT skills do you have? PM if you like, I'm not a recruitment shark, but I work for a company who recruits new people quite often. You're right though, Doncaster is hardly a hotbed of IT opportunities. Leeds is by far the biggest draw in the area. Suppose it could be worse, you could be in Hull