Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Guts .. IBS .. etc

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2018, 06:27 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Guts .. IBS .. etc

Won't bore you with my long running IBS related daily pains .. but I'm doing FODMAPs again under a dietitian and seem to be reacting to the gluten free food more than I do normal food. I can't find anything online about it?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 19 December 2018, 12:16 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Gluten-free basically means "not containing any wheat, rye, barley or oats", so typically, gluten-free products will substitute those ingredients with one or other of rice, maize, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, potato, or some other starch. If you're not sure which of the substitutes are causing you issues, I'd suggest you stop eating any pre-packaged/processed gluten-free products entirely and switch to whole, cooked grains for a while, and see if you still have the same reaction.
You can buy millet, buckwheat etc in most health-food shops and some supermarkets, and you basically cook them in much the same way as you would cook rice (wash multiple times in clean fresh water, add 2 parts water to grain, add a bit of salt, cook for 20 to 30 minutes).

I'd also strongly recommend you avoid any sugar or similar (honey, large quantities of raisins/sultanas, etc) if you possibly can, and keep alcohol intake to an absolute minimum, as they're never going to help with any digestive issues.
Old 19 December 2018, 12:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Gluten-free basically means "not containing any wheat, rye, barley or oats", so typically, gluten-free products will substitute those ingredients with one or other of rice, maize, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, potato, or some other starch. If you're not sure which of the substitutes are causing you issues, I'd suggest you stop eating any pre-packaged/processed gluten-free products entirely and switch to whole, cooked grains for a while, and see if you still have the same reaction.
You can buy millet, buckwheat etc in most health-food shops and some supermarkets, and you basically cook them in much the same way as you would cook rice (wash multiple times in clean fresh water, add 2 parts water to grain, add a bit of salt, cook for 20 to 30 minutes).

I'd also strongly recommend you avoid any sugar or similar (honey, large quantities of raisins/sultanas, etc) if you possibly can, and keep alcohol intake to an absolute minimum, as they're never going to help with any digestive issues.
Make sense, I've already thought sugar was an issue too .. I don't drink at all, water is the only liquid and I don't eat and haven't eaten anything none healthy for years.. but you could be onto something there .. processed is bad ..

Any idea what treats or snacks I could eat? I'm 11 stone down from 13 and starving all the time.
Old 19 December 2018, 06:22 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Rice-cakes, nuts, fresh fruit, limited amounts of dried fruit, for snacks. Eating more for main meals will of course help avoid getting hungry in-between.

The whole grains thing is as much about knowing exactly what you're eating (and being able to control it) as it is avoiding processed stuff btw. It could be that just one of maize, rice or whaver disagrees with you, so sourcing and cooking it all from scratch will give you the option of eliminating each of them one at a time.
Old 21 December 2018, 09:29 AM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of interest...have you tried intermittent fasting? It's amazing how just giving the gut a bit of a rest can help resolve a lot of issues. 16hrs fasting a day is a good start but no reason one can't do 18-20hrs. I have been intermittent fasting in various forms for 7-8 years now and can honestly say it's the best lifestyle decision I've ever made.
Old 24 December 2018, 06:52 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HonestIago
Out of interest...have you tried intermittent fasting? It's amazing how just giving the gut a bit of a rest can help resolve a lot of issues. 16hrs fasting a day is a good start but no reason one can't do 18-20hrs. I have been intermittent fasting in various forms for 7-8 years now and can honestly say it's the best lifestyle decision I've ever made.
I've been warned against it as it can seriously aggravate IBS. This is the problem, everyone has ideas, everyone knows best and nothing works (no offence mean just a general comment).

Even the doctors and the dietitian don't agree ..
Old 24 December 2018, 12:05 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey mate,

unfortunately doctors have minimal training in nutrition and many dietitians are working on outdated information. I guess the fact you’re asking for advice on a car forum says a lot.

My advice is stay away from processed foods, they’re mostly slow poison anyway. Fasting can be a great tool but you shouldn’t just do this blindly as it could leave you in a worse position. Find plantfoods that agree with you, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, mushrooms, there’s so much healthy beneficial food available but it rarely comes in a coloured box.

Now it seems a very high percentage of ibs is down to the gut microbiome being in bad shape due to poor diet, antibiotics, etc.. I would want to get this tested asap so you can start making informed decisions. Have a look at ‘gojiman’ on youtube, he gives a lot of free information on the topic. Another great free resource is nutritionfacts.org

Hope you can find a way that works for you.

Old 26 December 2018, 09:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

thanks, I've been pretty healthy food wise for the last 5-10 years trying to sort things out. All my meals are home made from scratch but occasionally I get caught out and have to have a butty or something and regret it.

Gut testing wise,t here is a lot of science vs opinion and cost .. food intolerance for example easily pay £1500 but there is no real scientific evidence it's real.
Old 26 December 2018, 12:34 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds sensible. Of course it’s not possible to get it a 100% perfect, one can only do their best. The guy mentioned is very scientific oriented and offers the tests at self cost. They may also be partly available through the nhs I believe. Good you got your critical thinking hat on tho, there’s so many BS-artists out there.
Old 31 December 2018, 04:54 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

What do you think of CBD?
Old 01 January 2019, 10:22 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Join the many Facebook pages on this topic
just started 2 weeks ago so too early for me to comment
Old 01 January 2019, 10:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Join the many Facebook pages on this topic
just started 2 weeks ago so too early for me to comment
I have, I bought the crap from H&B 5% .. have now ordered the 40-45% one so waiting for that too.
Old 02 January 2019, 09:21 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

H&B crap has made me really unwell .. avoid it at all cost and buy the real stuff