Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What's A Car Worth

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2019, 12:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What's A Car Worth

So how do you price a car when you put it up for Sale?

Top of the range (leather a/c) 3dr SUV, v low mileage for 15 yr age (under 50k miles) but wheels tatty, a couple of scratches on the bumpers, some car park dings/dents, some other scratches. Inside vgc, a few scuffs though not a FDSH but nearly complete. In summary, its a mechanically sound reliable car but visually needs £200 if you were able to do the work yourself or up to £400/500 if you weren't to get the bodywork/wheels up to scratch.

This is a moot point as the car has been sold now, its just that my partner has now seen other cars w/higher mileage for sale by dealers at more than what we put that one up for, so thinks she's lost out. We suspect that it was actually bought by a dealer to do up and sell on. I just want to know whether my approach and valuation was reasonable. I also know that someone will only pay what they think it is worth. I priced it higher than any online valuations at the top end of private sales estimates.
Old 15 May 2019, 12:46 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

15 yr old not expected to have full fsh from dealer. Just regular mots and receipts from service work. It doesn't really matter if its not all there. Cosmetics for the age again expect a little knocks amd marks, just not rust patches or holes. A few touch ups and wheel refurbishment could lift price, especially if its a difficult vehicle to shift, big SUVs not flavour of the month imo

You will never get dealer prices, it all works on Glasses black book guide price. They wont shift from it much unless they have buyer ready

Last edited by andy97; 15 May 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 19 May 2019, 11:13 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

You won't get dealer price for selling a car privately.
Bare in mind a dealer will have many overheads that a private seller won't have, like premises rent, rates, utility bills on the premises, tax on earnings, killer VAT bills if VAT registered, insurances, and the prospect of providing warranty unless trade sale, with possible comebacks from unhappy customers.
If a dealer is selling a car for a £1000 more than you are selling it privately, he is more than likely losing at least half that in expenses.