Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your biggest passion

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2019, 10:19 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Your biggest passion

Or what do you think you are pretty much an expert on ?

Yes cars, think I'm pretty up there. Not mechanically, not got that skill(wish I had) , but cars generally.

Me, its watches. Not an ultra expert, but pretty obsessed and up on things (the Industry , movements, brands, specs)since 1940,s upward. Sad, but yes.lol

Last edited by lozgti1; 12 October 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12 October 2019, 07:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink

Getting a brexiter to give concrete reasons for his/her decison
Old 12 October 2019, 09:22 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Getting a brexiter to give concrete reasons for his/her decison
lol
Old 12 October 2019, 09:25 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Because I do not think for one minute that every single member of the EU will not want to deal with the UK. Period. Ever
Old 12 October 2019, 09:28 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

In fact, Moderators move that to that awful brexit thing thread
Old 12 October 2019, 11:08 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

SCUBA diving! Particularly in cold dark lakes with zero visibility!

Qualifications don't go much higher than mine; I teach the dive instructors!
Old 12 October 2019, 11:37 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

Big wave bodyboarding in late middle age
Old 13 October 2019, 04:45 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Two very cool things I would love to do

Very much!
Old 13 October 2019, 04:46 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
SCUBA diving! Particularly in cold dark lakes with zero visibility!

Qualifications don't go much higher than mine; I teach the dive instructors!
Sounds a bit scary though.lol
Old 13 October 2019, 09:02 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Sounds a bit scary though.lol
That's what makes it fun
Old 13 October 2019, 10:26 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

That's what makes it fun
Similar outcomes when things go wrong. Many a time I've thought that I can't hold my breath any longer. Surfing is like snow sports or x game sports, and I guess motorsport, in that there has to be a mental commitment to the moment; if you hesitate you're f##ked. And that's a big part of the buzz. It's also good fitness when you're getting on. I'm not good at it, but I love it. Cheap too.
Old 13 October 2019, 02:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Got pinned under sail in 6' break windsurfing end last year ,snapped mast , stupid / lazy.

last week wind was switching on/offshore , again 6 ' dump , got striaght off the beach fine and then 100 yards out fell in few tiimes

decided i was chancing it since getting back in is the problem , but thankfully managed ride back of wave back in

not really fit enough / young enough / skilled enough
Old 13 October 2019, 02:17 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I used to windsurf; exhaustion can come on very quickly in hairy situations, the skill is in deciding to quit whilst still safe.
Old 13 October 2019, 02:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Something has happened to my arms in this last year , i really got to do something specific to get muscle back i think
Old 13 October 2019, 09:21 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Similar outcomes when things go wrong. Many a time I've thought that I can't hold my breath any longer. Surfing is like snow sports or x game sports, and I guess motorsport, in that there has to be a mental commitment to the moment; if you hesitate you're f##ked. And that's a big part of the buzz. It's also good fitness when you're getting on. I'm not good at it, but I love it. Cheap too.
My other passion is off piste skiing. You can't beat the buzz of riding waiste deep in fresh powder through a forest.

With diving though, its more about the self control under stressful conditions. Teaching someone to dive is extremely rewarding and teaching someone to be a dive instructor even more so!
Old 13 October 2019, 11:10 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

I agree about off piste skiing, but the problem is that unless you live in the mountains , or have enough money to chase perfect conditions, you have to rely on perfect conditions coinciding with your one week holiday; waist deep pow has only happened for me once in the last 10 years. That's the same as travelling for surf; you can spend time and money, and end up with nothing special, and the week you leave, it's pumping.
That's why I moved to Cornwall, before my body gives up completely.

My local
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 October 2019, 09:47 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I agree about off piste skiing, but the problem is that unless you live in the mountains , or have enough money to chase perfect conditions, you have to rely on perfect conditions coinciding with your one week holiday; waist deep pow has only happened for me once in the last 10 years. That's the same as travelling for surf; you can spend time and money, and end up with nothing special, and the week you leave, it's pumping.
That's why I moved to the Alps
Old 14 October 2019, 10:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

My local

Wow , you couldnt get much further West
Old 14 October 2019, 01:42 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

That's why I moved to the Alps
Aha, fair play .
Old 14 October 2019, 02:04 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

My passion is making my dick bigger.
I'm good at it, it's free and it's fun.

Doesnt go well on a cv mind.
Old 14 October 2019, 02:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to have a passion for getting argumentative and being a wind-up merchant on Non-Scooby related, does that count?

Obviously, it used to be cars and motorsport, but not so much now, but I can still hold my own though! Now more into photography and videography and snowboarding, they pretty much go hand in hand, and it was the snowboarding that got me into videography with the GoPro in the first place. I enjoy creating videos and sharing them on youtube but in the main, really love the creative process. That's not to say I have a "cool" life, it's pretty mundane so it makes me so much more appreciative for the moments when I do get the time to follow my passion. That being said, I've already booked my next trip to the Alps with the family, the GoPro and mirrorless camera, off to Val Thorens this Christmas, needless to say, I can't wait!!
Old 14 October 2019, 03:24 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
I used to have a passion for getting argumentative and being a wind-up merchant on Non-Scooby related, does that count?

Obviously, it used to be cars and motorsport, but not so much now, but I can still hold my own though! Now more into photography and videography and snowboarding, they pretty much go hand in hand, and it was the snowboarding that got me into videography with the GoPro in the first place. I enjoy creating videos and sharing them on youtube but in the main, really love the creative process. That's not to say I have a "cool" life, it's pretty mundane so it makes me so much more appreciative for the moments when I do get the time to follow my passion. That being said, I've already booked my next trip to the Alps with the family, the GoPro and mirrorless camera, off to Val Thorens this Christmas, needless to say, I can't wait!!
I can't wait until Christmas! My next ski trip is booked for 3 days on the glacier in Sölden on 1st November! Unlikely to get any powder, but its a nice start to the season

Most resorts around here open for the winter season at the end of November, so after that point, I'll go whenever there is decent powder to be had!
Old 14 October 2019, 08:00 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Have you seen those sport cameras that edit out the mount and pole so it looks like you are being closely followed by a drone?
Old 14 October 2019, 09:02 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I can't wait until Christmas! My next ski trip is booked for 3 days on the glacier in Sölden on 1st November! Unlikely to get any powder, but its a nice start to the season

Most resorts around here open for the winter season at the end of November, so after that point, I'll go whenever there is decent powder to be had!
I'd love to try Austrian Alps, that would be heck of a drive for me though, can just about manage the French Alps, but still well worth the journey.
Old 14 October 2019, 09:19 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Have you seen those sport cameras that edit out the mount and pole so it looks like you are being closely followed by a drone?
Yeah, the best one so far is the Insta360 One X and can come with a 10ft extendable selfie pole. It came out a month after I bought the GoPro 7 and probably would have bought it instead of the GoPro. The great thing with the 360 camera you don't have to point the camera in any specific direction, it will capture everything even things you didn't realise worth capture or footage that would have been missed by a tradtional action camera and has excellent video stablisation. The only problem with the Insta360 is that it isn't waterproof, but if waterproofing isn't an issue I would seriously concider one instead of regular action cam. GoPro do have their own 360 camera but is a bit more expensive and more bulky.
Old 14 October 2019, 10:58 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I'd love to try Austrian Alps, that would be heck of a drive for me though, can just about manage the French Alps, but still well worth the journey.
Not sure there is much difference in the drive from the UK. Austrian Alps are further east, but French Alps are further south, so in the end is pretty similar. Skiing in Austria is quite a bit cheaper than France when you take into account food and accommodation, so definitely worth a look!
Old 14 October 2019, 11:24 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Not sure there is much difference in the drive from the UK. Austrian Alps are further east, but French Alps are further south, so in the end is pretty similar. Skiing in Austria is quite a bit cheaper than France when you take into account food and accommodation, so definitely worth a look!
I might look into it for next year Just looked into the difference between Val Thorens and Solden and it's only about 40 miles difference from Calais, but it is still an extra 2 hours longer journey in the car according to Google Maps.
Old 15 October 2019, 09:56 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

I might look into it for next year Just looked into the difference between Val Thorens and Solden and it's only about 40 miles difference from Calais, but it is still an extra 2 hours longer journey in the car according to Google Maps.
If you want to save an about an hour, have a look at St Anton/Lech/Zürs - I recommend staying in the small village of Stuben for the best access and its much cheaper to stay too, although not much night-life there! Ischgl is also a nice option, but its the party capital of the Alps, so be prepared for lots of drunk people! I ski a lot in the Montafon valley which is another 30 minutes or so closer than St Anton, there are four resorts (Silvretta, Hochjoch, Gargellen and Gölm) close to each other which can be interesting for a week and ski pass and accommodation is much cheaper and all offer great off piste and tree skiing and far less crowded than the big resorts. Sölden is an awesome resort, the ski area is great and there is also great nightlife without overdoing it like Ischgl. The week ski pass also gives you a day in Hochgürgl/Obergürgl which is also worth a visit.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:49 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cunnilingus...!
Old 18 October 2019, 08:47 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Cunnilingus...!
Pictures please.