Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do I deal best with Inconsiderate Neighbours?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2002, 02:55 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am well pissed off with some of my neighbours. They live in a house around the corner from me, and their garden runs behind my house. The guys a builder and has built a Brick summer house complete with very loud Stereo at the end of their garden, and they have BBQ's every other weekend. Not a problem, Live and let live but they make a hell of a racket until 3am and keep my kids awake.
Any suggestions ?
Old 28 June 2002, 02:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

If you do not fancy approaching him and asking him to turn it down/moderate it's use then.
Contact your local council, it's a noise polution thingie, cannot remember the department. They will come out and check/measure the noise levels and deal with it, you can do it annonymously if you want as not to antagonise your selfish neighbour.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 6/28/2002 5:55:29 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 03:00 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

not always good idea - when you come to sell your place, you will have to disclose this
Old 28 June 2002, 03:01 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

...environmental health I do believe....

Good luck!
Old 28 June 2002, 03:14 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have an extremly loud Race Can on my Bike, I usually keep the rev's down in my area for the sake of good relations with my other neighbours but I am tempted to 'Tune my Bike @midnight' Whadaythink?.
PS. They are also p!ssed off with him as well.

[Edited by DRUNKNORGY - 6/28/2002 3:15:34 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 03:19 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I know it sounds stupid, but have you asked them to keep it down? Just that you don't say if you have or not......

We have troublesome neighbours, and have asked them & written them letters - it's getting better, but mediation is the next step.

Env Health came round to record noise, but they weren't making any at the time.....and difficult to get env health to come back - they can't come "on demand" :-(
Old 28 June 2002, 03:25 PM
Amen Corner
Scooby Regular

Question

Do they have a car?

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2002, 03:36 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

I am not the only one affected by his selfish behaviour, This guy has been doing this since he moved in 4 years ago. He has spent £££££ on his open air disco and I can't see he's going to want to leave it idle. I haven't approached him directly at the time as I don't fancy getting my head stuffed in by a dozen or so inebriated party-goers, but the Police have been called on a number of occasions by other who live nearby. My experience of these types in other areas I have lived in, is that they agree with you on the doorstep but do **** all after you leave.
Old 28 June 2002, 03:36 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Ask them politely the first time. You'll probably get a earful back from them, but at least you've done the "neighbourly" thing and given them a chance to modify their behaviour. Then choose whether to get in touch with the council, put up with the noise or move.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You won't win by "getting your own back", they'll just get their own back on you and escalate the cycle. Make lots of noise yourself and they'll be round to the council getting you in trouble like a shot. Go around with three of your mates and threaten them and they'll be back the next week with ten of theirs.

The only effective retribution is to kill them all and not get caught.
Old 28 June 2002, 03:41 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

A pavement climbing Rav 4 to take their brats to school
Old 28 June 2002, 04:04 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Anybody need me?
astraboy.
Old 28 June 2002, 04:11 PM
Amen Corner
Scooby Regular

Red face

A pavement climbing Rav 4 to take their brats to school
I once got revenge on someone by pouring a small amount of old oil on the road under the engine of their car. Every night. For about 3 months.

It certainly put his garage bills up
Old 28 June 2002, 04:20 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have recently moved from a right ****hole, a proper dive! I only lived there as a temporary measure but it does open your eyes to how some people live.

I was in the middle flat of block of doleys. To my left I had a young man who had recently got out of prison for drugs offences.

Very noisy and domineering till i told him off when I was drunk. Ok threats and violence are not the answer most of the time but some people only understand this as this is what they know, nothing else. It worked .

But below lived a young lady who used to play music fairly loud every 3-4am !!!...after she got in from her bit of money on the side as a lapdancer (i kid u not).

A different tactic was needed here as i am not the type to have a go at women. I left my own stereo on in the room directly above hers (my kitchen), speakers loud and pointed to the floor, door shut (to minimise noise to other neighbours). After a few sessions of this we had a blazing row but i found somewhere else by then anyway but i think it could have got very distasteful so it's a good job i did.

I'd phone the council, failing that go round to his door with some backup and have a good moan to his face, failing that wreck his stuff (j'k).
Old 28 June 2002, 04:23 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

I reckon the loud pipe may be the ticket (accompanied with a bit of shotguning for good measure). Whats he going to do @12am, come around and demand I keep the noise down cos he can't hear his disco?.
Old 28 June 2002, 04:32 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

LOL@Astraboy

Come Astra, whats new in the world of revenge ?
Old 28 June 2002, 04:54 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I could tell you, but then you'd have to be held upside down in a vat of molten cookie dough so its best not to
If you need any suggestions though, just let me know.
astraboy.
Old 28 June 2002, 04:55 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tricky one, if the police have been called before and he still continues to be inconsiderate, a good pasting may be the only answer.
I'd certainly get the local council involved, Environmental health department, they can slap all sorts of injunctions on him. Backed up by prosecution. Most councils are pretty hot on this now (I should know as I worked for one for 12 years).
Good luck with it, there few things worse and more irritating than neighbours from hell..
Old 28 June 2002, 05:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

In my younger and more recless days i had a neighbour (who was an ar$e ove most things) who would play his hifi 'till the small hours, not much fun if you are semi detached, the house that is, not me.

I 'borrowed' a P.A system from work, just a small one rated at 1000w (proper 1K) , set it up in the lounge one night, turned it up and went out for a few hours.

Never had the same problem again

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 6/28/2002 5:58:02 PM]
Old 28 June 2002, 05:56 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

If you need any suggestions though, just let me know.
I was just about to say, your best bet is astraboy
Old 28 June 2002, 06:18 PM
Luke
BANNED

Astraboy!!! A mobile war zone....
Old 28 June 2002, 07:02 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I think I'd invite a few (large) mates round and then decide to water my garden with a hose. Trouble is I'm sh*t at aiming and god knows where the water would end up.
Then the large mates will come in handy if you get a visit.
Either that or ask for an invite to the next bbq and supply tyhe food. Make sure you don't eat any yourself though as that exlax is good gear.
Alasdair
Old 28 June 2002, 07:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Had a noisy girl in the upstairs flat from us who used to play "If I can't have you" over and over and over as she was doing the housework.
Borrowed a record of a steam loco passing with full train at high speed. Played it over and over etc. She got the message.
Old 28 June 2002, 07:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

"Borrowed a record of a steam loco passing with full train at high speed. Played it over and over etc. She got the message."

It's your own record isn't it
Old 28 June 2002, 09:00 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Get astraboy

He has some ideas

David
Old 28 June 2002, 10:49 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

My dad was p1ssed off at the air hostesses and pilots in the house behind for having loud parties and ******* on the law so he got our kids band to do a one off gig at 5.30 am after the latest party.

Large amount of Marshall amplification (stage stuff, not domestic) and 3 still drunken musicians, other neighbours were breifed and they plated for 30 mins, seeing a semi nake air hostess with a hangover appear in her bra and pants at the window made it all worth it.

Old 29 June 2002, 12:12 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I always find that the best thing is to make a loud noise at, say 6am, when they are trying to 'sleep-it-off' - a nice noisy lawnmower would do it - chain saw - let the other neighbours know what you will do, then they will accept it. Dont let 'em sleep - they will moan and shout - just ignore them.

Getting revenge and getting tough ONLY works if you have more, bigger, meaner mates than he has AND they will enjoy a punch up on your behalf - other than that its steer clear of violence!!

I remember one day on the river Thames at Wallingford, a lot of people were enjoying the summers day when along came an Orion complete with loud Hi-Fi, parked on the riverside close to where we were. 5 lads (about 20 years old) got out with 2 girls, doors open, music wound up, and they were dancing round the car!!!!!

Now, I dont mind the kids, but this was out of order. At this moment a HUGE Giant Haystacks of a man walked over to me and said, "Are we going to let them do that?" - I said, "No?" - "Good", he said, "Come with me".

****!!! I thought, he was HUGE and I am BIG - BUT there are FIVE of them, oh, bollox - here I go walking into a fist or boot or worse!!

As we walked over to them I could feel a hundred eyes on me as everyone could see where we were going - for a moment I felt like Clint Eastwood

We stopped and the BIG lad said to them, "You have two simple choices, you either turn it down - or it, and the car, goes into the river"!!!! Holy Cr4p I thought we are dead - they got back in their car and drove off!!!! they were swearing out of the window as they went of course!!

BUT IT WORKED!!!

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 6/29/2002 12:20:23 AM]
Old 29 June 2002, 01:37 PM
Si James
Scooby Regular

The drugs squad;
The terrorist quad;
Crimestoppers;
The VAT man;
The Revenue.

They all have anon. "grasslines".

Tell them that you are sure that "there is something going on".

Sit back and enjoy.

Si

Old 29 June 2002, 01:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Posted twice - DOH!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 6/29/2002 1:44:46 PM]
Old 29 June 2002, 01:44 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Pete - you should write a book. memoirs perhaps

Great story!

Paul
Old 29 June 2002, 03:32 PM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

How about spreading some of that chicken **** fertilizer on your garden the next time. Just remember to go out coz it stinks for a few days!

Gus

Quick Reply: How do I deal best with Inconsiderate Neighbours?