Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fatboy Slim on Brighton Beach

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 10:32 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone go ??

Looked mental on E4. What a tune to start with, Tim Deluxe - It Just Wont Do..........
Old 15 July 2002, 10:40 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

One dead - 6 arrests and 30+ injured. Not sure if they'll let it happen again............

Saw the start though - cracking
Old 15 July 2002, 10:45 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I think the problem was that they were expecting 60,000 people and 150,000 turned up

Not sure how you would stop that many people turning up in the future...
Old 15 July 2002, 10:52 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

Looked amazing. Incredible amount of people.

One thing that really got me (being a fatboyslim hater), is the poor skills of the fatboy. He gives it large twiddling ***** like hes composing the tunes or something and then when it comes to the mix he just flicks over to the second track. I've got more DJ skill in my left buttock than the fatboy has in his entire body.

What a ****. I think I should take mainstage next year, show him how its really done

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 7/15/2002 10:53:29 AM]
Old 15 July 2002, 10:59 AM
ChrisB

Beeb was reporting 250,000 folks!
Old 15 July 2002, 11:13 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Talking

We were in Brighton during the day, but headed back home at about 5pm. The traffic into Brighton was solid and stationary for the whole length of the M23/A23!!!!
Old 15 July 2002, 12:41 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Went last year and they had problems with the crowd then!
Didn't make it this year and I don't think it'll happen again either

Justin
Old 15 July 2002, 02:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Was camping so missed it. my brother was supposed to be going, dunno if he did though.

Think they do need a bigger venue.

Sad about the death and injuries though.
Old 15 July 2002, 04:32 PM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Seems a little funny ( bizzare ) to me though, the reports vary so wildly as to numbers and problems that you can never get to the bottom of it all.

The guy that died had a heart attack, which to be fair could have happened anywhere ( unless it was chemically induced ) and the two girls that are on the critical list apparently fell off a wall !

Now although the numbers cannot have been healthy, the press in this country always seem to pick and twist stories, although I think that it was a little busy !!!
Old 15 July 2002, 04:55 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I went. Got the train into Brighton in the afternoon, enjoyed a few beers in town and then on the sea front. At around 8pm we decided to get near the stage...easier said than done. But we eventually got onto the beach behind the stage then waded through the sea to get in front of the stage.

Had an excellent view less than a stones throw from the front. The crowd was amazing and the atmosphere a bizarre mixture of happy drunks and stoned out dudes . Fatboy Slim played a fine set and it was a thoroughly unforgetable experience.

Shame it ended early but I can understand why. Trying to get away was a nightmare and it was pretty chaotic getting into the station.
The last London bound train was the 23.40 and we were still outside the station at that stage. Soon after, the old bill opened the station gates and there was a mild surge into the station. We were then prevented from getting on the train by police blocking the platform. A pushing match ensued and after about 20 mins of push and shove the police relented and let everyone onto the platform to board the waiting train.

From my experience the situation in the station was the only dangerous part and there were a couple of surges which could have proved potentially dangerous if someone had stumbled. I'm a pretty big guy at just under 6 foot and 16+ stone so found it easier than some to get through. As someone who has been going to football for 29 years it did occur to me that it was a Hillsborough style accident waiting to happen.

Got home about 2am and I only live 25 miles from Brighton. The whole transport network was never geared up to cope with that many people descending on the place. Friends travelling down by car reported horrendous queues on all the roads, and the lack of an organised public transport system meant people were either stranded for the night, or faced a scrum to stand a chance of boarding a train.

Its a shame as it was a class event but i can't see it happening again. With saturation advertising on E4/C4 more people than ever knew about it and it became a victim of its own success.

Mark

Edited to correct spelling mistakes and add that it was near impossible to get through on mobiles so summoning the emergency services for those hurt would have been extremely difficult.

[Edited by 555 Markus - 7/15/2002 6:40:33 PM]
Old 15 July 2002, 04:59 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
You only have to look at the state of the beach to say it should never happen again.

Disgusting
Old 15 July 2002, 07:48 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Pray, who is "Fatboy Slim"?
Old 15 July 2002, 07:51 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Thank god I was at Goodwood then if this bod was performinmg on the beach. What does he pretend to be doing with all those ***** hes got.

Why dont people appreciate decent music any more. Can anyone remember when bands used to actually stand on stage and play real music without electronic aids and without miming. A long time ago I know but there are still a gfew ouit there that can still really perform.

Chip.
Old 15 July 2002, 08:04 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

...dont know what they see in it....do they think that racket is music?.... what do they think they look like?....he should be locked up.....they look like they're all on drugs....
Old 15 July 2002, 08:33 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Chip and sebastian

It's turning into the Victor Meldrew thread
Old 15 July 2002, 08:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chip, If you had seen Isaac Hayes, Faithless, White Stripes, the Charlatans, even Rod Stewart (FFS), etc at Glastonbury you would know that the live bands/artists are alive and thriving. It's only the UK record industry and Radio ! that are unaware of the phenomenon!
Old 15 July 2002, 09:17 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

They don't make it like it used to be,pesky kids!
Old 16 July 2002, 08:07 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
CrisP / Sebastian / Chip

I agree with crisPDuk
I did glasto and have to say it was awesome this year, I saw 25 bands in 3 days for £100,could have seen more but U know what its like, even though Rod Stewart was awful and the wrong choice to close with especially after 2 hours of Roger Walters doing all the Pink Floyd classics through a Quad system, he never stood a chance. Doves, Charlatans, Ash, BRMC, Coldplay, Roger Walters, Faithless were all superb, I thought I was the only music lover left in this forum if not the only person who went to Glasto, for all u DJ's the Dance tent was w@nk this year only Carl *** pulled them in, the place was over half empty most days.

I seriously considered Brighton on Saturday but ended up in Camden, Thank God!!!

Dave
Old 16 July 2002, 11:34 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Yea, I think dance is heading nowhere presently. It'll never dissappear obviously, but the end of it's 15 years of fame to paraphrase Warhol is nigh.

What we DESPERATELY need is a really good rock band that as well as great tunes have a charismatic front man on vocals a la Jagger/Rotten/Slash(?) who combine dangerousness with intelligence and a certain glamour. None have hit the mark for years. (Oasis were thick, ignorant derivatives)

Rock is ready for a proper revival. I was listening to Back in Black the other day - superb in the car.
Old 16 July 2002, 11:49 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Erm, Will Young, anyone?
Old 16 July 2002, 01:04 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Who?

Wasn't he the one who beat G G G G G Gareth G G G Gates?

G G G Gareth is now at No 1 in the charts!

But only because the record company pulled the Elvis tune for him
Old 16 July 2002, 01:07 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

@ BEW
Old 16 July 2002, 01:09 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Just seen an interview with Norman Cook and he said that it would be hard to control the number of people that would attend this sort of gig, and until it could be controlled, there wont be another Big Beach Boutique event.

He said they wouldnt do it in another location as it wouldnt be the same.

Bummer.
Old 17 July 2002, 08:24 AM
Luke
BANNED

Good place to hold event like this.......... The safety aspect was crazy... And Look at the mess........ (Forget the death.. That could have happend anywhere.)
Loacal council are saying beach is still a danger area due to broken glass... Great news for kids etc in this weather..
Old 17 July 2002, 12:49 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

Well I went last year and this year and won't be going again in a hurry unless I can get onto a boat!

Less year was great. Not too crowded, fiendly atmosphere - had a real laugh. And the music was great you Meldrew's

First off I thought the music this year wasn't as good as last year. The warm up sets were pants in comparison.

Secondly - the Northerners me and my girlfriend got surrounded by... I haven't got anything against Northerners at all (honest ) but this crew, [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] We were all jammed into the crowd about 30 yards from the front of the stage by 6 ish. Everyone was enjoying themselves. At 6:30 I left my girlfriend to try and find some friends we hadn't hooked up with as my phone refused to work all night. That was a pointless mission!

On getting back to my g'friend, it turns out one of the blokes has puked (wonder what might have caused that reaction ) and some of it has gone on her trousers... don't worry I say, it isn't bad, let's just have a laugh. Within 20 minutes the girls are squatting on the beach pissing and the blokes start pissing into cups, and then holding them up in the air, practically over my head. I don't do watersports and wasn't about to start thank-you very much. I ask them to please put the fecking cups down before they spill everywhere

So another 20 mintues and one of these destroyed gimps comes up to me "Are you unmarked CID? Please don't do me for drugs..." For ***** sake I think, pi55 off and leave us alone! When I asked him why the hell he would think that he replied it was the way I was dressed. Yeah, must be the trainers, shorts and shades I thought?! I'm 27 and have been DJ'ing for 10 years. If I looked like CID then a Scoob looks like a friggin' Corolla. New one that is of course

We then decide we both need a pi55 and if we can get away from these idiots then let's go. We walk through a river of pi55 from the guys who can't be arsed to actually queue for the loos and are pi55ing all over the wall... We find another spot to hang at last where we can breathe and then end up with another bunch of drugged up fools bouncing around smacking into us... It must have taken us a good 2 minutes to decide to get the hell out of there.

We queued in the car for about 45 minutes moving, oh say, 400 yards, but then miraculously after going the wrong up an empty side street we find some quiet roads and are gone.

Relief.

Excuse my essay, but the organisation was ****, and dangerous and the amount of people on drugs this year - urgh! Maybe I'm getting old but that ain't my idea of fun...

[Edited by Kingsize K2 - 7/17/2002 12:51:59 PM]