Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I'm trying, but it's hurting already. Help

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2002, 01:00 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

On day 2 of my stopping smoking campaign and it's hurting a bit! Any tips? Patches, gum, hands chopping off?!!
Old 31 July 2002, 01:04 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I recently looked in a mag for the best option and I think the patches are best

I don't smoke so can't tell you thorugh personal opinion, but a couple of peeps I know are successfully stopping via patches.

Good luck
Old 31 July 2002, 01:09 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I'm quitting tommorrow..
Old 31 July 2002, 02:17 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Exercise, play fotty/tennis whatever. I've heard it's good when you have real bad urges rather than thinking about it.

I gave up 4/5 years ago, used a horrible inhaler thingy for a week and then left it to willpower. Funnily though, I was in a the pub a lot as when I was at home, all I could think about was ciggies. Maybe it was the passive smoking that made doing the pub thing easier.

Now I forkin hate people smoking!
Old 31 July 2002, 07:48 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gave up 3 years ago, using pure willpower. Just stopped.

Anyone who needs patches, inhalers, etc., is clearly just a complete wuss.
Old 31 July 2002, 07:49 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

How long were you smoking for? and how many a day?
Old 31 July 2002, 08:58 AM
suffolkscoob
Scooby Regular

I stopped about 3 months ago,(20 a day) I found that if i drank plenty of water and / or orange juice I found it easier, also stay away from pubs / clubs etc for about 2 weeks. Think of it like this 20 **** = £5, 7 days almost pays for a tank of Optimax !

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2002, 09:02 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

How long were you smoking for? and how many a day?
Well, I've smoked on & off constantly from when I was 14 (I'm 30 now). For the 2-3 years up to 5 years ago, I was mostly smoking (weed ) in the evenings. Then I met my (now) wife, who was smoking 15-20 a day. It didn't take long for me to join in - socially at first, but after a couple of years I was up to 20-a-day myself.

That continued for about 18 months, and then we both decided to give up. So we did.

Only real help we had was that we moved house, so decided not to smoke in the new house. The fresh start helped, but really it was just will power.

These days I get the odd urge (every now and again I see somebody smoking and think "that'd be nice") but it's not too difficult. Frankly, I can't see what all the fuss is about. If you want to smoke, smoke. If you don't, then give up. There's no point f*cking about with patches, inhalers, etc - 'cos they're worth nothing without the will power. And if you have the self-control, you'll give up anyway.

Old 31 July 2002, 11:10 AM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Fatherpierre : DONT use patches gum or any other crap, its just giving your body nicotine, which is what you are craving.

You just have to ignore the cravings / hurt / pain, they go away real quick. If you start thinking **** me I could kill for a smoke just turn it round and think ' why ? I dont smoke anymore so I dont want one !! )'

or buy Allen Carrs Easyway - this guy is so confident that if you go to his clinics - then he offers a money back guarantee if you dont stop !! 95% success rate. !!!!

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com

great book - I used to smoke 40 a day for years, stopping was easy peasy with this book !

only cost about 6 or 7 quid so is only a pack or 2 of **** - got to be worth a shot !!!

Willpower is the only way !

good luck

[Edited by carpet - 7/31/2002 11:12:34 AM]
Old 31 July 2002, 11:50 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

One good way of stopping is to develop asthma........I had a go smoking a few years back, only 1 or 2 a day for 3 months (as I didn't want my parents to find out)

I ended up in hospital as it caused me to have my worst asthma attack to date.

I took the hint, I decided smoking wasn't the best thing for me to do.

Unfortuntely I suffer in passive smoking, but hey, you just have to put up with it sometimes.
Old 31 July 2002, 12:54 PM
fatnutsac
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cut your fingers off.
try and light one up then!
Old 31 July 2002, 01:02 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just tell all your mates that "you're stopping smoking, it'll be a piece of p*ss".

The shame of it all if you fail will keep you going.

I smoked cigarettes till I was 24, then for last 6 years smoked cigars socially. Decided to pack em in 4 mnths ago. I just told the bar staff in my local. Only wavered once, after Arsenal beat United and asked for a cigar. Was politely but firmly turned down. Have n't touched one since, and in fact would now probably make me heave if I tried one.
Old 31 July 2002, 01:20 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

You could try putting the money you save in a pot, and save it for something you have always wanted to have.

Dad did that several years ago, and found out that he didn't have to save up very long for anything

Probably a habit that costs more to feed than a Subaru...
Old 31 July 2002, 01:22 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Probably a habit that costs more to feed than a Subaru...
Jesus. Having owned two Imprezas, and paid the fuel costs for a total nearly 6 years, all I can say to this is that you must smoke a hell of a lot!!!!!
Old 31 July 2002, 01:31 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I gave up in January chap, and the third day was the worst i got cravings, i could have quite easily killed for a ciggie! but it gets so much easier after that, so just put up with it for a day or two and you should find it a lot easier after that.

Ps i'd got up to smoking 40+ a day and started on patches, but gave uo on them after the first week.
Old 31 July 2002, 01:36 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

i'd got up to smoking 40+ a day and started on patches, but gave uo on them after the first week.
What happened? Did you run out of room to stick more of the little b*ggers on your arm?
Old 31 July 2002, 01:38 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep!
Old 31 July 2002, 01:42 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Wasn't me that smoked - wad Dad, and he did smoke far too many

Was a slight exageration, I admit, but he did smoke the equivilent of my Scoob insurance premium in a year
Old 31 July 2002, 01:44 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of a Uni. lecturer I knew. Smoked 40 a day while chewing the gum and wearing the patches...

Think he was a little hooked...
Old 31 July 2002, 02:07 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry m8
Willpower is the only thing that works. Make sure everybody knows you're giving up the you'll feel like a right wally if you start again.
Been off them for a few years now and still have the odd urge. Same goes for cigarettes.
Alas
Old 31 July 2002, 03:04 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I gave up 3 and a half years ago and the only thing I can say is "It's all worth it"

I know what your going through and if you don't think will power alons will help then try the patches

Good luck
Old 31 July 2002, 04:49 PM
Raja
Scooby Regular

Just buy the book - Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It costs less than a packet of ****! Worked for me and 4 other people at work. You don't need willpower with this book either (well not a lot).

Don't use the patches or nicotine gum, they just introduce nicotine into your body.

Cheers
Raj
Old 31 July 2002, 05:29 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Will power is the best way, you only become dependant on the substitute products.
Exercise is a very good idea as you tend to start eat a lot of crap.
I put on about 3 stone giving up and I really wished I had maxed out on exercise, cause it's hard work now.
Plenty of water is also good and chewing gum for stressful times.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 31 July 2002, 06:27 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going down the willpower path, I think. Today's been pretty much urge-free so far.

I started smoking at 13 but stopped when I was 22. But like a tw@t I resumed the filthy habit when I was 26 (29 now).

Thing is I'm in the RAF and train (hard) 5 times a week and am much fitter than most of my age. But I'm leaving next March when the dreaded 30 comes. Just sick of wasting all that cash on simply counteracting my training!

Plus, I don't wanna stink!
Old 31 July 2002, 06:44 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its only been 2.5 months since I packed in - but you really have to commit yourself to being a non-smoker.
Must admit this is my 5th attempt - I have always been a victim of "If I only have one I will be ok"
DONT DO IT

I really have to disagree with everyone that said that Patches are the wrong way to go. They really ease the pain, but as long as you are commited to stopping they do help. But like everyone said you need will power. I have focused on the money aspects

i.e. 20 a day say £4.50 x 7 days = £31.50 a week
or = £126.00 a month
or = £1,512.00 a year

thats quite a bit of dosh i.e a few mods, a nice holiday etc...

Good luck - wish I had your willpower I never could have given up while in the army!! every bugger smokes
Old 31 July 2002, 07:07 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My dad smoked 60 a day for 30 years one after another.

He gave up 16 months ago without any patches or anything like that. He swears by a book someone mentioned, my sister bought him "alan carr - The easy way to give up smoking" worked for him and 5 others he's borrowed the book to. Give it a try carnt hurt, it should be availible from WH smith or somewhere like that.

If he can stop anyone can..
Good luck.

[Edited by cryptwalk - 7/31/2002 7:10:01 PM]
Old 01 August 2002, 12:46 AM
wilko999
Scooby Regular

good luck, tried and failed many times! Gave up New year, started a week later again and still to this day I haven't told my girlfriend I'm smoking again coz she really hates it! I really want to quit now because I no longer look forward to weekends coz I can't bloody smoke! at least the car and house don't smell anymore and I seem to wash my clothes more frequently and shower more and brush my teeth three or four times a day so it's not all bad!

I did manage six months once though and i did use patches for the first month so I wouldn't discount them but my best mate gave up using that Alan Carr book.

You could always do what my mum did, she went to Church, prayed, gave up, never looked back, never had a craving while my Dad spent a year addicted to the Gum!
Old 01 August 2002, 01:31 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Well, just got in after a work social ****-up and somehow I managed to survive the evening without having even a drag of someone's smoke. ******* hard though!

Everyone seemed to be smoking (never noticed it before).

No urge for more food as yet..............
Old 01 August 2002, 06:36 AM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good luck mate - I have managed to never smoke so don't understans what you are going through.

Look at it this way though: I work with smokers and they stink to high heaven, have yellow teeth and fingers and breath like a chimney - really sooty, urgh :|

Jon
Old 01 August 2002, 09:42 AM
suffolkscoob
Scooby Regular

Well, just got in after a work social ****-up and somehow I managed to survive the evening without having even a drag of someone's smoke. ******* hard though!
Well done, keep up the good work, it'll be worth it in the end

Bill

Quick Reply: I'm trying, but it's hurting already. Help