Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Soham and the Media

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2002, 12:38 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My sympathy goes out to the families of Soham for their huge personal tradgedy.

In a discussion last night an interesting point came up - if two ten year old asian boys had gone missing in Bradford - and been found dead days later - I suspect it would not have even made the national news - never mind for 17 days running.

You have to question the motivation of the media in this hugely sad tradgedy - or is this wrong?

Trout
Old 23 August 2002, 12:41 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

But no boys from Bradford, Asian or otherwise have gone missing.

And yes, if this were to happen (God forbid) I imagine it would see an equal amount of publicity.
Old 23 August 2002, 12:55 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I suspect it would not have even made the national news
........i think it would.
Old 23 August 2002, 12:58 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

It would, and the press would turn it into a racial thing probably
Old 23 August 2002, 01:01 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

How would they do that?

Child abduction/abuse/murder has no relation to race. I doubt even the slag papers like the Sun, Star, etc. could muster up a race element in their (poor) reporting.
Old 23 August 2002, 07:00 AM
Luke
BANNED

Jesus.... This whole matter is crazy

Your children are been killed by drug dealers and
Drink drivers. The media are using sex to sell things to kids. parents are letting their children dress like god knows what and be out at silly times. We have to look at the whole picture of children in this world. They are been abused every day in one form or another.

Yes I think it was terrible. But how many other children have suffered???? That poor young black girl who was killed by her Family. ( The one with little "dred locks" in the photos). Didnt see the same media/ public response to that.

We need to become a stronger society to help things like thids from happening.

I suggest that the media and public focus their efforts on DEMANDING a total shake up of the law and funding for the Police.

If the public are that sick of it...... Lets have a full UK strike . No schools or Work. everyone who can marches in their cities and show the goverment that enough is enough.

We can all start by taking a look at ourselves and friends. The way we are ,what we do, and what we dont to , to make this place safe and better..........
Old 23 August 2002, 09:08 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

When Damilola Taylor was murdered the public and media response was rightly massive, so I don't think we can really say there is a tendency to ignore tragedies amongst minority groups.

Trending Topics

Old 23 August 2002, 09:56 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Angry

I think the press sometimes go to far

Even to the stage where its gruesome, I had to travel past Lakenheath last week and there were more press than Police where the bodies were discovered

A final point I find the press racist how many times do we hear the
murdered BLACK teenager Stephen Lawrence
, were Holly and Jessica reffered to as the Murdered White children?

NO

Both cases are very tragic and it does not matter what colour there skin was SO WHY does the press continue to mention it

It makes my blood boil they are all murdered children lets concentrate of catching the evil scum that carry's out these horrendus crimes

Phil
Old 23 August 2002, 10:36 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I think I know what you mean Trout ...

Difficult one this.

The example you gave (asian boys) may still go in the headlines, but say it happened to 2 girls in Afghanistan or Botswana, I doubt "we" would give a damn - or even hear about it. Distance/culture/time you see...

We are all victims in a way of the "agenda setting" of the press (they dictate what's on the news and what we talk about), but OTOH, it's obvious that especially the popular press writes what a lot of people want to hear about.

Even on Belgian TV, the Holly/Jessica case was big news, and got more attention than a father who wanted to take revenge on his wife and killed their 8 year old son, then tried suicide & failed... (happened last weekend).

I even question my own motivation to be frank as to why some cases catch my attention, and some don't at all. Partly media, but surely partly me ?

I did have an sort of "excuse", as this case resembled the Dutroux case (1997), and let's hope the investigators don't make the same mistakes as in that tragic case. Trial is still due (maybe next year, that's 6 years after the facts), and there is much doubt that they can actually convict him on all charges. Try finding a non-biased jury when 300.000 people marched against child abuse / police mistakes because of what happened...

Anyway, yes it's right to question media motivation, but we also have to question our own.
Old 23 August 2002, 11:22 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Have a look at this relevant story in the Guardian....
Old 23 August 2002, 11:37 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Excellent, albeit very chilling example ...

Old 23 August 2002, 11:50 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

I guess the point of the discussion we were having was that it is sadly a relatively common occurance, not everyday, but not as rare as would appear - but two nice blonde girls makes much better media than scruffy black kid - or slightly older young teenager.

It is a sad world at times - and our perception of it is hugely influenced by the media.

Trout

Old 23 August 2002, 11:52 AM
ChrisB

Oops, double post!

[Edited by ChrisB - 8/23/2002 11:53:13 AM]
Old 23 August 2002, 11:55 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Chris, erm *cough*, that link looks a lot like the one Mark posted above
Old 23 August 2002, 01:02 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as was mentioned before- its distance, culture, etc.

i feel more similarity with a family with little blonde girls cause they look like mine, i feel less simalarity with a family with black children, however, if they live in the UK then thats just like me so there is more similarity than someone living in Zambia and so on....

if we really cared about ppl from great distance (geographicaly and culturaly) then we would worry ourselves to death! there is a great deal of grimness out there if we looked for it. Instead we stick to what we are close to and this applies to the media as much as anyone and i expect there are more bosses at Sky News with little blonde boys and girls than anything else.

this is why New York was such a big media event (in part) this was ppl doing the jobs we do, dressing the same, living in a place we had all seen and many had been to- not the same reaction you'd get if sadam decided to kill 3000 of his ppl in a land most people and 99.9% of yanks! could even find on a map.

T

ps- also interesting than since Soham "started" im sure there are a few kids who have died in car crashes, accidents, nasty illness and yet we dont hear of them? life presented to us by the media is always a bit distorted.
Old 23 August 2002, 05:36 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Has anyone stopped to think what the media might not being making us aware of whilst all of this has been going on?

May be for different reasons, but like Trout, I find it very strange such a huge amount of police and press time has been utilised in this case.

Yes, its terrible what has happened, and it happens all too often. But why, all of sudden has everybody dropped every thing for this instance?

Is it a case of the parents or someone close to them knowing the right people??..

Just a few random thoughts... I'll get back in my box now...

[Edited by DrEvil - 8/23/2002 5:37:11 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 05:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Dr "oliver stone" Evil?
Old 23 August 2002, 05:47 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tiggs - LOL
Old 23 August 2002, 07:17 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Alex, FWIW, I don't think so.

And in any case, even if I'm wrong, it didn't help'm much did it.

The link that Mark put up is still a very revealing read, sad as the story is.

Tiggs, your post made quite a lot of sense, FWIW again. Nothing wrong with "proximity". Boggles the mind, ready for some more STI go Fast stuff now
Old 23 August 2002, 10:50 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Indeed the actions of the press around Soham - the coverage and especially the ridiculous "competitive" offering of very high reward sums (£1m) by several tabloids is now to be put under legal scrutiny.

Trout
Old 23 August 2002, 11:15 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm going to use an analigy (spelling) to highlight my point but it is probably not the best way to express it.....

However...

....if this were anaimal that had been senselessly murdered what would your opinion be if it was 2 rabbits or 2 rats. I'm suspecting if it was rats you wouldn't give a damn? but if it was 2 rabbits you would have some compassion towards them.

Translate this to the 2 pretty young girls and the original statement and I think you get the point that is been made in the way the general consensious views our country.
Old 24 August 2002, 01:02 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Trout,

funny you should say that ... but about the same time that Hannah and Jessica went missing, two girls went missing from the Manchester area, they hadn't been in the country long, barely spoke any English and had no money, yet there was one small paragraph about their disappearance in one of the papers. Fortunately they did turn up a couple of days later and were OK, but they were also asylum seekers.... so I guess for that reason the papers didn't want to know.

On the other hand .... the police followed a similar strategy as that of Sarah Payne. Rather than not telling the media anything, they gave them fairly unprecedented access, kept them up to date with info all the time and ensured that because there was a lot of stuff in the papers, so the public would recognise who these girls were if they saw them ... so it does have its good side as well. You also have to remember that we're in the traditional "silly" season when there's not a lot of other news about, so would have been a bit of a godsend for the media.

However, I do agree that we don't give all cases the same treatment. Too many children go missing and we never get to hear about them ...