This advertisment is not right

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2002, 01:41 PM
Vans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hey everybody,

My car was reciently featured in an Advertisement in a well known car magazine [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] The full page ad was advertising an auto shop in this magazine but displayed totally without my permission and with my registration in full view [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyone ever been in a simular position what should I do please help any suggestions

Vans
Old 05 September 2002, 02:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Do you own the copyright on your car's image? Have you trademarked it?

I think you're buggered.

Phone the Citizens advice bureau and take it from there. It is potentially an invasion of your privacy, and potentially it could cost you money because it reveals to all that your car has been on a workshop, so that might be the angle...
Old 05 September 2002, 02:22 PM
Vans
Scooby Regular

The photo was taken at a track day I have never been involved with this company and don't know anyone associated with them ;(

Thanks in advance for any help

Vans
Old 05 September 2002, 03:12 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you identifiable in the car? Even if remotely so, they need a model release form signed by you to use the image commercially.

You may have some mileage in claiming that your car is part of your identity in some way (reg plate is unique...), not so sure on that but you never know.

Paul

Old 05 September 2002, 03:17 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I doubt if there's anything you can do,.....anyway whats the problem
Old 05 September 2002, 03:33 PM
Vans
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I was never on track in my car just attending I was not in it at the time. The only problem is the fact that I did not really want this to happen and don't want it to happen again also no other car in the ad had a registration shown

I was not asked if the picture could be used [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] thanks anyway for the help and info if you think about it who would want their car registration to be shown in a national magazine for all to see, not me anyway.

Vans
Old 05 September 2002, 03:35 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

if you think about it who would want their car registration to be shown in a national magazine for all to see, not me anyway
Why? Hundreds of people see it on the road every day, what's the big deal about it being in a mag?

If you're that worried, contact the place and ask them to blot out the registration number. But the fact is, unless they didn't have a right to be on the property, you have no rights over you or your car's image.

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2002, 04:32 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Surely the biggest thing is that lowlife can now clone your plate, put it on an Impreza, and get you lots of speeding tickets? or they go to the police and say I was hit by a scoob reg AB01 CDE and he gave a false address, then they take your new address and break in for your keys.

Not a great argument, as they could do the same when you car is in Bluewater car park, but you might argue that it is more widely circulated (eg London based / London cloned compared to London based /Edinburgh cloned).

Same as why do we not like publishing plates on Scoobynet? More moral than legal though, IMHO.

BJH
Old 05 September 2002, 04:49 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

errr..... what is the issue?????? i have just driven to a post box and seen 3 scoobs- and their reg numbers, load of fuss over nothing.

by the way if you're a car theif with nothing to do all dat except read internet BBS sites for reg's then mine is Y83LCF, its a blue WRX and if you want to clone it you crack on!

T