Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recycle or not.....

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2002, 08:04 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Now, for the last 5 yrs or so I've been a good little boy and have been recycling all the paper/cardboard, tins and bottles from our houshold waste and cut our rubbish output by half. The problem now, is the local tip has now decided to have a seperate skip for newspapers/magazines and another for cardboard instead of 1 for the lot. So I went to the guy at the tip and asked what to do with all the flyers, junk mail that I have saved over the last month or so, and he said just throw it in the non recycable waste. Hang on a minute, whats the point in me saving all the recycable waste, and then throw it in the landfills after all which I’m/we’re trying to avoid?? Oh, he says, it’s to make it easier for the people to sort out the paper etc.
Who gives a **** about the people who have to sort out the paper from the cardboard, I thought this was all about saving the planet etc by cutting down household waste. Hell, this country just hasn’t got a clue on recycling at all, I mean the next thing they want is to charge us a pound for a bag of rubbish over our normal output[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. And they think this’ll get us all recycling, I don’t think so. The government have to at least try to help, instead of just charging us all the time and actually spending some money in bettering/changing things. Anyway, **** it, next time I’ll just dump the lot in the cardboard skip and let them sort it out!!

Rant over….

CRAFT
Old 14 September 2002, 09:12 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Craft,

Are you sure he got that right ? Best bet (assuming it is council) would be to call the councils waste management people and ask them.

Our local place takes paper and cardboard in seperate skips. Both get recycled, just that the cardboard gets a different treatment than normal paper, something to do with the glues/chemicals used, or something

Cheers

Ian
Old 16 September 2002, 02:24 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

At last my council Wealden has started recycling. We have been doing so with tins, plastic, card, paper, bottles and cans now for some time and have also found it has over halved the waste that goes to land fill.

Before we were driving all over the place to recycle, but soon we will have two bins and a crate, one bin for land fill, one bin for compostibles, garden waste, card vegetable beelings, and then a crate for paper and tin cans. Their recycling plant breaks it all out.

Only thing they don't do at the moment is plastic because there is only one plant in th UK in the midlands.

And Tony reckons that by charging 10p per carrier bag all our problems will be solved.

Dave