Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Caught speeding doing 115mph - what will happen?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 09:17 AM
r@t
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine was caught speeding on the M25 last night doing 115mph (cop car - not camera) They followed him for a while before pulling him over. Stupid I know, but its done now.

As he already have 6 points, what is most likely to happen as I'm very worried.

Thanx
Old 17 September 2002, 09:21 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
I feel a ban is imminent for over 100mph, regardless of the prior points. He may get lucky if they plead job will suffer.
Just out of interest, didn't they wonder why a car was keeping pace with them at that speed - rearview mirrors are an excellent invention!
Old 17 September 2002, 09:23 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid it looks like you (oh no sorry "your friend") will be getting the bus for a while!
Old 17 September 2002, 09:30 AM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

Bye Bye Licence (according to a ex-Chief Constable collegue) !!!
And with 6 points already it could be for some time. Oooooppps.
Old 17 September 2002, 09:32 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I have no wish to cause no offence but your friend is screwed. I can't see anyway they can avoid a ban unless they get very lucky.

Assuming that the normal route is taken they are looking at a ban and a hefty fine. How long a ban depends on what side of the bed the magistrate got up.

The other scenario is that they will plead poverty/job requirement as everyone always does to escape a ban, but and its a big un, if they're hoping to get points and avoid a ban it probably won't work. With 6 points already, plus the probable 6 points and an even heftier fine they want to acheive, they are going to lose their license under the totting up scheme.

Unless they have an absolute miracle worker for a solicitor, they are going to have to start thinking about how to get around with out a licence.
Old 17 September 2002, 09:36 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

The only way out for your friend is for his employer to plead for him - this *does* work. Sorry to use this language but an ar$e at my old work got done at similar speeds and had been to court the week before to be told next time was curtains for at least a year (he had 9 points) - real pleading letter from HR and he get's off with a 3 month ban - I'd have sent him to prison for a month - he hasn't learnt his lesson and will end up killing someone - but hey - don't get me started on the criminal justice system !

Jase
Old 17 September 2002, 09:45 AM
323GTR
Scooby Regular

Last time I got done for speeding and had to go to court (98.4mph...), I got to sit at the back of the court and watch everyone elses case go through. There were about 30 cases going through, all for speeding on the same stretch of motorway. The lowest was 91 mph, the highest was a biker at 127mph.

Anything 90 - 100mph got a fine + points, the level depended on how you behaved and you job. One smug git got £1000 fine for doing 93mph, the average was about £400. I got £200 and 5 points, no complaints as I knew what I was doing.

Anything over 100mph was aban, minimum 2 weeks, 2 - 4 weeks for 1st offence. Anybody who had previously had a ban got longer, 1 particular guy got a 12 month ban!

This was about 2 years ago now, and I know the law are becoming less tolerant of speeding, so it may be worse, but at least it gives you some idea what to expect.

The basic rules are...
1/ Get a letter from your employer
2/ Act very apologetic
3/ Don't get caught again!
Old 17 September 2002, 09:46 AM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

I got caught a few years agao doing 85 in a 50 and I already had 6 points.

When I went to court my boss attended as well and pleaded with the magistrate not to ban me as I need to use hire cars frequently(I worked offshore and needed to get to airports at short notice)

The magistrate must have given Mrs Magistrate one the night before as they gave me another 6 points but didn't revoke my licience. They did however fine me £1000.

Old 17 September 2002, 10:00 AM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Loss of license I would hope
Old 17 September 2002, 10:01 AM
merkin
Scooby Regular

sorry, but if your friend doesnt get banned, i will eat my underpants
Old 17 September 2002, 10:04 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry, but if your friend doesn't get banned, I'll eat merkin's underpants.
Old 17 September 2002, 10:19 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I'd guess at a ban length will depend on the amount of grovelling! Personally I always check my rear view mirror on the motorway especially in the dark!

I joined the M25 round by Dartford the other evening, came up on to the motorway and accelerated up to my usual cruising speed. Checking the mirror I saw another car some way behind had suddenly accelerated, I took my foot off the floor, and pulled in front of a tanker whilst the speed scrubbed off. When I popped back into the middle lane the car was still there but going slower, it pulled off at the next junction flashed its lights as it went!

Obviously took note of the fact that I was driving and paying attention!
Old 17 September 2002, 10:36 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Although I can't remember his name, there's a Brighton based solicitor who comes highly recommended by those with a heavy right foot. I'm sure someone will post his details.

I think your friend would be well advised to speak to him.

Josh
Old 17 September 2002, 10:48 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Look at http://ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Hope you (sorry, your friend) get lucky. Look out for info on the Solicitor from Brighton; apparently he's good at this sort of game.

If you find out who he is post it in general so we can make a note.

Cheers

WB
Old 17 September 2002, 10:53 AM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

r@t,
I'd say you would be lucky to escape a ban. Local magistrates will have their own views on this sort of thing so it's very hard to generalise. You are at risk of being banned for the offence itself or, if that doesn't happen, 6 points on the offence would take you into ban territory on the totting up provisions. If you are at all worried about losing your licence and any effect on your job this might have, I suggest you take a solicitor along. It might also help if you prepared your own letter/statement explaining how seriouly a ban would impact on your work, kids, life in general etc.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:02 PM
r@t
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Cheers guys for all your replys - very good, helpful comments.
BTW - It is a m8 of mine. He works for himself, and loosing his license would cause major proplems.

He was driving back very late at night after supporting a friend whos young child was very ill - not that makes any diference, but he had things on his mind. With fast cars it's easily done!

Cheers again.

r@t
Old 17 September 2002, 12:41 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Would a Bell 550 have saved the day??

What do you have to do to get a prison sentance?
Old 17 September 2002, 12:48 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I recently got 5 points and £300 for 98.2 on the Motorway. Already had 3points on my license.
Pretty much told by the Magistrate that over 100 and I would hce been in **** street.