Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Extending garage to create a room ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 10:08 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need a bit more space at home, so instead of a conservatory (which would reduce our garden size) I was having a think & came up with a plan
We have a single garage & quite a big drivway - so I thought about extending the garage out & turning the back half into a room.
This would add a room & keep the garage. The only downside would be that I lose a bit of length of drive - but it would be still big enough to get my car in front of the garage.

Has anyone done this ? experiences...cost...planning permission ??

Any help appreciated - thanks

Ro.
Old 24 September 2002, 03:59 PM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Done something similar.

Only concern as always is planning permission. Sometimes garages have some kind of deed on them so that they can only be used as garages. I think this is so that you do not just convert and then have to park your car into an already crowded road. As you still have drive space it should not be a problem.

Cost - no idea as mine was self build.
Certianly a good idea as whatever you put in you get out when you sell
Try to make it as wide as possible. One of my neighours did the same with a straight conversion instead of extention and it is very long and narrow for a ground floor room.

Good luck
Old 24 September 2002, 04:06 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks alan - appreciate the help.

J
Old 24 September 2002, 04:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Always check with your local planning authority whether you need Planning Permission or a Building Warrant. Usually the actual conversion of the garage itself is permitted development and does not require planning permission but you need to check this and in any event your extending it which may require permission. If your told permission is not required get something in writing from them so when you come to sell the house in the future you can produce the letter for the cocky solicitor who should ask for it.

If permission is required it will vary from local authority as to what is required to be met by way of standards and local plan policies. Up here in East Lothian we require a driveway length of 6m minimum to be retained in front of the garage - and no the garage itself doesn't count as a driveway as most people put tools, freezers and bike in them

The key to this is to make a few phone calls/visit/or write some letters to both the planning department and building control.

Good luck,

Kenny (development control planner)
Old 24 September 2002, 04:20 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks saxo boy.

Ro.
Old 24 September 2002, 05:04 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Did the same with mine about 7 years ago.

Got 3 quotes from builders ranging from 13-15000.This was for bedroom above as well.

Did donkey work ie digging footings etc myself and did complete job for just over 7500.

Chip.