Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Phone companys policies, why??

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 05:47 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

I wanted to upgrade to a Samsung T100 (rightly or wrongly) phoned T-Mobile, ive been a loyal customer since the origial brick, but only spend about £25 a month, the cost to me for the upgrade is £179.99, but if I cancel my contract and sign an identical contract with them I can have the phone for £79.99 but I have to have a new number.
My argument with them was You're charging me £100 just to keep my number, ridiculous, why should I be loyal to you I ask, er, "If you can find the phone cheaper we will credit your account" What? that was'nt my question, "As I said sir it will be £179.99"

What bollox can anyone tell me why this is apart from the obvious (the number), if it wasnt for the fact that the majority of my friends and family are on T-Mobile I'd move to Orange tomorrow

Dave
Old 24 September 2002, 05:57 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

That's total bollocks. You can move your number for free between any network or contract, and it should only take a week or two. Oftel came down hard on this a couple of years back when operators were charging to transfer numbers and were talking 4-6 weeks to do it.

I've had the same moby number for 6 years now, despite having had contracts with all four of the major operators during that time.

What you may find is that what they're saying is you can't cancel an existing contract and start a new one with the same operator. If so, they're probably right - but you can soon sort that my moving to another operator.

[Edited by MarkO - 9/24/2002 5:59:17 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 07:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Move to Orange, keep your existing number, get GBP20 for your old phone, pay list price for the new one, go for Orange Value Promise if you prefer your old tarrif, and get your friend to do likewise!!!!

mb
Old 24 September 2002, 09:12 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Angry

My lot wanna charge me £10 for the code for transferring my mobile to another company (same network though)! Are they allowed to do this, given what is said above, ref Oftel?
Old 24 September 2002, 09:13 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Funkii
I got a free T100 and I've got 50 quid in trade-in, moving from t-mobile to orange on their Everytime 200 tariff for 30 quid a month. I've also signed up for a Line 2 option to have Everyday 50 for 30p per day, so for 39quid a month I have 200 x-net minutes a month & 50 off peak minutes a DAY. That may not be the deal for you, but don't be held to ransom by T-mobile. Get a cross-network tariff and you don't have to worry about the call charges. For your info I got my phone from ETC communications, their website is www.directmobilephones.co.uk If you want to call them ask for Dawn as she was very helpful when I ordered my phone, and I got it next day by Royal Mail special delivery.

One word of warning getting an Orange Value Plan tariff means you pay what you would on another network and have the other networks exact terms and conditions regarding call charges, roll over minutes etc etc. But you are still on Orange and cannot make calls to your old network as if you are still with them, unless its a x-network tariff you'll be charged. Just something to bear in mind.
Old 24 September 2002, 11:58 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

I agree what a load of b$$$ocks we have just got 2 Nokia 6310i with blue displays on Orange from a shop in Reading for free on contract I have been dealing with this shop for at least 10 years, so I would tell them to put their phone where the sun don't shine, when we spoke to Orange directly they said the could only get the price down to £49.00 for the 6310i so you would be better off going to a Normal Phone retailer "not an Orange shop" as they can afford to give the phone away free.

And also we have taken our numbers with us just by getting PAC code this is only valid for 30 days so don’t hang about.

Huxley
Old 25 September 2002, 01:01 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Matt.
moving mobiles is different to moving numbers.
Orange and T-Mobile lock the phones to their network and charge you for the privelege of unlocking it.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:22 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

There are plenty of people who can unlock them...
Old 25 September 2002, 01:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hehe ridiculous. I got a T68i for £20 on t-mobile after cancelling my account with them, then getting another new account with them, but via a very helpful guy on this bbs
Old 25 September 2002, 03:54 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

chockymonster,

Myself and a few friends have recently bought T100s from T-mobile and they were not locked to the T-mobile network, it looks like they have stopped doing this now only leaving Orange.

Si.
Old 25 September 2002, 04:32 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
I had the same problem with 121, now T-mobile when I upgraded my phone a while back. Same issue as 'the special price is only for new users and not those with an existing contract'.
I asked to speak to the customer services manager and got my upgrade at a reasonable price and not the full price of the phone. I did have to buy the phone at the full price and then send them the receipt for the refund though plus the 'refund' came back as credits over a number of phone bills.
Don't let the original call centre operative deal with it as they are invariably not trained properly here.
Old 25 September 2002, 07:29 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

i had same problem although they wanted £150,ask to be put through to diconnection team and tell them to disconnect u, they will then try and get you not to disconnect, then tell them the situation and add a bit of bull i.e i think t mobiles great etc etc and i dont really wanna goto vodafone but i will if i have to, i did this and they sent me my t100 next day free of charge....yes for free i was well suprised, then unlocked it and gave to wife whos on payg on o2

mike