Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going to Cyprus - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 09:07 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This Sunday I fly out to Cyprus for 2 weeks. It will be a sort of working trip, but I should have lots of free time in the late afternoons and evenings.

What are the must see places to visit, best places for nightlife etc? As the accomodation is paid for, all I need to worry about is how many beer vouchers will I need?

Any other handy hints or tips much appreciated.

I'll be staying in the Eastern Sovereign Base Area.
Old 24 September 2002, 09:27 PM
HFmarcus
Scooby Newbie

Late afternoon, go to Ebdimu beach, get sloshed in the taverna there.
Work your way to Kato Paphos for the evening, plenty of bars to choose from.
Just go to where the bodies are, empty bar means ****e place !
Plenty of puss hangin about.
Old 24 September 2002, 09:32 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

you cant flush loo paper!

was a shocker to the mam n dad!

Si
Old 24 September 2002, 09:36 PM
HFmarcus
Scooby Newbie

You can, just don't use too fappin much & give it a couple of tries, worked for me anyway.
Old 24 September 2002, 10:20 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Am I right in thinking this is a part-time work related trip?

Spent most of my working life passing through the place although haven't been to the ESBA much - Akrotiri and WSBA for me...

Food and booze are all pretty cheap out there. Good sit down kebab and enough red death to float a battleship should set you back about cyp£7. It's coming to the end of the season now but there'll still be loads of people packing out the nightclubs etc which always makes for a "top" night out

It's a great place - I love it. Just watch out for the russian mafia and avoid the strip bars like the plague (no duff).

PS. If I am right in thinking this is a "part-time" work related trip (think I've got the right bloke) how are you getting out there?
Old 24 September 2002, 10:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

So your staying near Dhekelia then?
Well youve got Ayia Napa just down the road, probably one of the best places you can go (cheap beer etc) and for a nice night out there are plenty of places to eat cheaply.
Beach wise... if you like it a little quiet then Fig Tree Bay is nice (just down the coast from Napa ) or Nissi Beach if you like it a bit fuller (and there are some "full" women there if you know what i mean )

Tony
Old 24 September 2002, 11:27 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Spent two and half years in Cyprus and not once went down to ESBA. Spent all my time in Episkopi or Paphos and occasionally up troodos
Old 25 September 2002, 07:27 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Tip - Dont try and run across the border into the north, you'll be shot
Old 25 September 2002, 08:25 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I used to live in Cyprus. Spent a few months living on base near Dhekelia then moved out to Larnaca. If your in ESBA you will be near Larnaca - you basically drive off the Garrison and your pretty much on the strip. Loads of clubs, pubs and restaurants there. As someone else said Ayia Napa is further east along the coast - Nissi is very nice - clear water white sand but gets busy due to this and all the hotels behind it. Bungee jumping can be done here.

More secluded is Cape Greco with nice water but no beach. Can find your own little piece of cliff to sit and enjoy.

You can go into North Cyprus via Nicosia (the capital) and get loads of cheap stuff. Easy to haggle with shop keepers there but take a calculator as its turkish lire so like 1 million for a flipping ice cream!

Troodos Mountains are also a nice place to visit. A lot greener than the rest of the island (not hard I know). Forces personal can rent cheap chalets here. No snow at this time of the year unfortunately but still very nice and scenic lookking down on the rest of the island.

Simon.

P.S. If you have access to the forces clubs, stop off at the Dhekelia Water Sports Club - its where I spent 3 years learning the trades of Windsurfing and Waterkiing.
Old 25 September 2002, 08:27 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Simon,

It is a part time job indeed (TA). I'm flying business class with the RAF from Brize. Hoepfully you won't be our Captain 'cos that would mean 4 hours in a Herc. Lovely bogs in a Herc.

As for crossing the border, I'll be working along the border for the whole time - repairing the border posts. Bit of a change from driving a puter.

LOL about the plague. After the video we were shown about the STD's flying about, I'll probably be wearing a full body condom each time I go out...

I gather Aiya Napa will be out of bounds. Guess where I'll be going first?...
Old 25 September 2002, 08:37 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

4 hours in a Herc???? That might get you to Sardinia with a following wind but Cyprus would be much more.

Hey, don't knock the bogs!! At least our new one's have got a flushing affair now - there's progress

I think we've pretty much given up pax-ing people cos it's such a scummy way to travel although the last lot I did was a TA Field Hospital from NI out to Cyprus for their summer camp And all the nurses wanted to come and meet the pilot Kept me occupied for hours

There are quite a few OOB areas at the moment. Ayia Napa being one of them. Accordingly, it comes highly recommended
Old 25 September 2002, 12:00 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hehe I flew from Akrotiri to Brize (nice brekkie they do) on a Herc. I wouldnt bother trying to listen to ur walkman as you wont hear it. The cargo net seats are fairly comfy though. Dont remember how long flight was as I spent most of the time in the cockpit playing link up gameboy games with the crew

Si.
Old 25 September 2002, 04:30 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The crew were AWAKE????!?!?!?!?!?
Old 25 September 2002, 04:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep. What did make me laugh is all the new dirt cheap motors the officers fly back in the Hercs. Saves you a few hundred quid on shipping I guess!
Old 25 September 2002, 04:48 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lol - it's not the officers though matey It's all controlled by the bast**d Movers at Akrotiri - once they've manifested their own cars and those of their mates then they sometimes consider other peoples'.......the people that own the cars pay for it with 2 slabs of beer in the boot; 1 for the movers and 1 for the crew. The crew never get theirs coz the movers thieve both. I have, therefore, had great pleasure in the past turning down a load of cars and flying home empty - just to p155 them off

Gives the crew somewhere comfy to sleep on the way back though.
Old 25 September 2002, 04:52 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Ive got a tip - dont go to Ayia Napa - its a nasty cheap place full of drunken bradford lads and London rude boys biggin' up the garage innit!

Sorry - if your into Garage then you will love it but I hated it so much I went to another part of the island!! - Its minging!!

Cyprus is a really great country, make sure you some of it!

Oh, and get insurance, the healthcare out there is absolutely 3rd world!!

Sorry to sound like a miserable ******* but these were the bad points to be avoided, the rest of the island is superb and I dont regret going at all, I just regret going to ***** Ayia Napa!!!
Old 25 September 2002, 05:32 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cyprus is wicked, food & drink great, people are so friendly and the weather is HOT HOT HOT !!!!!! I can't fault the place, well I can, there's turk's on the other side

I'd love to stay there. ENJOY
Old 25 September 2002, 05:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

If Ayia Napa is out of bounds then it should be OK during the nights as the squadies will stay away or face the wrath of the RMP's. Always used to make me laugh as my Dad was a civvy (GCHQ) working with 9th Signals Regiment so we didnt come under the out of bounds rule but reaped all the benefits of forces life on the island.

Beer used to be **** cheap - like 40p for a bud size bottle of Charlie or Keo and 50p for a large (1 litre maybe) bottle. Getting smashed for a fiver gotta love it!
Old 25 September 2002, 06:16 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Hey I got married in Paphos 2 years ago
Its Hot, Cheap and very pleasant.
...Cyprus isn't bad either!!!!

Have a great time (dont bother visiting tombs or anything) - it encroaches on valuable drinking time....

Bon Voyage

BB
Old 25 September 2002, 06:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

P1,
i missed all the hassle in napa due to leaving just before those idiot grunts decided to rape and kill that girl [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
But i was at 9 Sigregt from 91 to 94, great life out there and lots of things to do but when beer was as cheap as it was (and especially when we got boddies bitter out there ) it was just one big party
(oh and occasionally some work )

Tony
Old 25 September 2002, 06:45 PM
memski
Scooby Regular

I can't fault the place, well I can, there's turk's on the other side
What a stupid comment to make... Cyprus is beautiful, the weather is amazing, and the people very friendly, hope you have a good time (when you're not working ).
Old 25 September 2002, 06:57 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tony - that was about the time I was there too. My dad's name is Norman Collins - worked down in Ay Nik? Ring any bells to you?

Simon.
Old 25 September 2002, 07:30 PM
HFmarcus
Scooby Newbie

Just recently got back from Paphos.
Large Carlsberg for £1-20cyp, Large Keo for £1-20cyp, you can get Bud & the rest but they are quite dear compared.
3 course meal inc bottle of house wine for 2 = £14-00cyp.
Don't drink in the Hotels cos they cost a fortune.
Old 25 September 2002, 07:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Dunno if beer has gone up a lot or whether it was dirt cheap in the forces bars.

Top tip - find a local wedding going along. Slip 10 quid to the bride and groom like everyone else and then tuck into free food and booze. The number of those we went to and we didnt even know the couple getting married
Old 26 September 2002, 07:53 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

bttt so tony sees it
Old 26 September 2002, 08:32 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looks like I'm gonna have a great time then.

Even £1.20 for a beer is less than half the price I'm used to as well.

If I can find an internet cafe, and I can stay sober for long enough (unlikely), I'll try and post from Cyprus.

One more question, my Orange mobile doesn't work out there. Do they have many working pay phones out there? I'm hoping the base I stay on has some pay phones.

PS: SimonH, glad to hear Hercs have flushing loos on them now. There's progress for ya!

[Edited by Jerome - 9/26/2002 8:33:39 AM]
Old 26 September 2002, 08:47 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lol - "do they have pay phones?"
It's not the third world mate!!

As an aside, how come your Orange phone won't work? A lot of my friends are on Orange and their phones work out there.....just get international roaming.....
Old 27 September 2002, 07:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cool

P1,
it sounds familiar but i couldnt say for sure, lots of people worked in the same building(s) as i did so.....
Anyway what was the name of that mad taxi driver across the road? Andreas or something like that? (in his little shop!)

Tony
Old 28 September 2002, 08:16 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Erm cant remember was he right by the NAAFI?? I used to go-kart and clay pigeon shoot down Ay Nik as well.

I do recall when that squaddie took a few hostages and several weapons from the armoury then laid up in one of the buildings there for several days. One women escaped and managed to nick a pistol whilst he was asleep. Then they had the SAS out but by the time they got in he had shot himself.

Simon.