Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Serious empathy/advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 01:28 PM
NewWrX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

This morning got a letter from the boys in blue re speeding!! I was nabbed by a camera on the A449 at 100 mph in a 70mph limit. Must say I was expecting something to happen as it was a beautiful day and I was just passing another car on what was otherwise a completely clear dual carriageway when I saw in the distance a van with just some chevrons on the bottom parked in a lay by. Can't say I was conciuosly speeding and didn't have my eyes glued to speedo but obviously slowed when I saw a lens sticking through back window. Fair enough I am guilty as charged and I am now worried what happens next what is the process. I have a completely clean license will I get a ban? as I really can't afford to and the whole experience has been unsettling to say the least!!
Old 26 September 2002, 01:45 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Empathy? Why? It was your foot on the accelerator pedal

If you want empathy, don't come here, ring the Samaritans!

What to do? Buy a pushbike.........

[Edited by Dave T-S - 9/26/2002 1:47:07 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 01:54 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Well said, DTS
Old 26 September 2002, 01:57 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I got points for doing 43 in a 30 zone. I got 3 points and a £60 fine. The letter you got should have that on!! The Speed you were doing and what to do next! I.e. send them your licence and a cheque for the fine. Mind you, saying that, it depends on the area you live. Some are really keen on speeding and 100 MPH can result in a ban and a hefty fine. I would re-read the letter. If it's only points, I wouldn't worry although next time you need insurance, it'll bump up the premium
Old 26 September 2002, 01:58 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hey you guys give the chap a break.
As if everyone on here sticks to the speed limit.
I reckon from mates that have been done for similar that you will be looking at a ban probably 3-6 mths.
You could always say the misses was driving if a/ she is insured and b/ you have one then she can cop for the ban for you.
Old 26 September 2002, 02:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Pretty harsh from the first two posters. Can any scooby owner honestly claim to have never done 100mph on a British road??

Anyways, usually anything over 100mph carries a ban (usually short - month or so) but you can get away with it under certain circumstances. You'll either get a short ban, or lots of points with a heafy fine I'd imagine. It's done on a case by case basis.
Old 26 September 2002, 02:05 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Yeah, what's with all the damn holier than thou crap.
Old 26 September 2002, 02:13 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Can any scooby owner honestly claim to have never done 100mph on a British road??
Yes, I can. On a track, yes. In Germany, yes. Would all you bleeding heart liberals have the same attitude if the originator of this thread had been driving a BMW?

[Edited by 22BUK - 9/26/2002 2:15:43 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 02:14 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

First thing to do is read the letter carefully, if they are offering you the chance of a fixed penalty then take it, without a shadow of doubt. 3 points won't affect your insurance too much.

If they are not giving you the chance to take a fixed penalty then whatever you do, make sure you pay the money for a good solicitor. They are not cheap but it is worth it.

A friend of mine was timed doing 114mph and again at 103mph 6 months later. He earns good money (40k) and got a 2 week ban for the first offence and a 1 month ban for the 2nd. both times there was also a £500 fine.

He may have been lucky, but getting a good solicitor is the only way to go.
Old 26 September 2002, 02:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Bare your soul on here, and you have to accept the answers you get.......!

Some will be supportive, some won't......it's a free country/BBS etc (up to a point )

[Edited by Dave T-S - 9/26/2002 2:15:38 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 02:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I have empathy with having been done for 72 in a 60 (didn't realise it was a camera van until too late). I just got the 3 points/£60 fine. 100mph is a bit different though, you'll probably end up going to court rather than being given a fixed penalty. If they do offer a fixed penalty, say "thank you, sir" and sign the cheque.
Old 26 September 2002, 02:21 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Apparently anything over 90mph and the courts HAVE to consider a ban. Not saying they will dish it out but they have to consider it.

Andy
Old 26 September 2002, 02:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Dave u treble hard b*stard!
Old 26 September 2002, 02:26 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pretty harsh from the first two posters. Can any scooby owner honestly claim to have never done 100mph on a British road??
Speaking as one of them, if I did and got nicked for it, I sure as hell wouldn't post it on here!!! - which is really the point I was making. Some things - picking your nose, shoplifting, your sexual deviances with hamsters, speeding etc are better off not revealed to a potential audience of 6 billion or so people.......
Old 26 September 2002, 02:29 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Evo,

Correct. I think above 20mph over the limit, it automatically goes to court and a Fixed Penalty is not an option. 30mph over the limit is supposed to be an automatic ban but this is not always the case. A friend of mine got off a 60 in a 30 with a couple of hundered pound fine and 6 points.

NewWRX, you may get lucky with a good solicitor.

BTW chaps, Dave didn't say he doesn't speed. I think his point was, if you choose to speed and get caught, don't come looking for sympathy.....(well I think that was his point )

Good luck,

Matt
Old 26 September 2002, 02:34 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Ditto Dave's comments. If you speed and get caught, hard cheese. People moaning about getting knicked for speeding ranks second to people getting parking tickets. You know where you shouldn't park.

David
Old 26 September 2002, 02:35 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Advice now. I seriously did hear about long term prison inmates taking bans for cash.

David
Old 26 September 2002, 02:37 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

and students so I heard
Old 26 September 2002, 02:45 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but you say you weren't conscious that you were doing 100mph+ on a dual-carrigeway ? The difference between 70 and 100mph is obvious to anyone. If it wasn't obvious to you, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all.

Surely, if you are doing 100mph, you really should know that that is happening. By the way, you are allowed to glance down at the speedo occasionaly, doesn't take long.

Me, I'd throw away the key.

Cheers

Ian
Old 26 September 2002, 02:48 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Behave you lot!! He's been speeding, he should take the punishment!! We all think we can get away with it and I did for 9 years before one of the git's got me!! Just put it down to experience and watch yourself in future!
Old 26 September 2002, 02:53 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I agree with Dave T-S totally.....

We know the risks and we still speed well over 100mph.
Everyone knows the law, if you get caught, you're f4kced, so why come on here looking for empathy.

Advice on what sentence/points/fine you might get then ok, but empathy.....doh.

"If you can't do the time, then don't commit the crime", blah blah

Yours sincerely
Mr Righteous..!

Old 26 September 2002, 02:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Can't say I was conciuosly speeding "

what rubbish, i have driven a lot of different cars and 100mph feels different in each one but it doesnt matter if its a fiesta or a bentley....you still know youre doing 100mph.

if you dont get of the roads cause you're a hazard.

T

ps- if you get a ban for 100mph on a clean license i'd eat my hat (although i wouldnt try going to court and saying "ohhhh, feel sorry for me it was not concisuosly speeding..."
Old 26 September 2002, 03:19 PM
NewWrX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys! I suppose if it aint me I'll just stick the boot in! applies here. I think the point here is that this community could empathise with the way I'm feeling and maybe offer some advice which would alleviate those feeling. I don't want advice on how to get off or other helpful comments I have had enough of the jokes etc with my work colleagues. When my car was broken into I want to share those feelings with like minded people who have the same Scooby ownership issues that we all face. Am I asking too much?
Old 26 September 2002, 03:25 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Yes.
Old 26 September 2002, 03:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What do you expect by coming on here and saying you weren't conscious you were doing the ton. The fact that the speedo reads around 10% high is an indication that you were completely oblivious to what was going on around you. You drive a performance car and along with that comes an increased responsibility.

If I am driving at that speed then I'm damn sure I'm checking way ahead, all openings, lay-byes, rear mirror, cameras etc. You should be so observant at that speed and you clearly weren't.

As I said earlier if you want guidance re the fine/points you can expect then fair enough feel free to ask but what you are saying is along the lines of "I committed armed robbery the other day and got caught", can you all please empathise with me?

Don't think so....

You're actual post seems perfectly fair and I think it is the title that has turned some people on you. I feel for your situation (empathise I suppose) and would not like to be in it. But the last thing I would be doing is looking for empathy on here.

I would title my post something like "I am an **** as I wasn't aware of my speed and surroundings and what do you think will be the outcome"...

Old 26 September 2002, 03:40 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have to say whilst I do watch it if I happen to be channel hopping, with feelings of amusement and bemusement, I can't for the life of me understand why any of the participants go on Jerry Springer

These "I was speeding, woe is me" type posts on here are just the equivalent!!
Old 26 September 2002, 03:54 PM
NewWrX
Scooby Regular

End of thread I reckon Dave T-S you can **** o**
Old 26 September 2002, 04:05 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Doesn't look like end of thread to me.
Old 26 September 2002, 04:17 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

LOL @ **** off comment. Nothing like a nice two way balanced discussion, is there

Mark
It's not finished now you've arrived mate
Old 26 September 2002, 04:20 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

LOL @ **** off comment. Nothing like a nice two way balanced discussion, is there
LMAO, Cheers Dave

David

Quick Reply: Serious empathy/advice wanted