Ever ran out of petrol???

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2002, 07:07 PM
Me*shell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

What a way to start the weekend!
Ran out of petrol on my way home from work, was 15 miles from home, no credit on my mobile phone. So off I went for a mile hike.

NIGHTMARE!!!

Couldn't believe the amount of people who slowed down and stared
at me and my petrol can.

Luckily the petrol station wasn't too far away.

Old 27 September 2002, 07:14 PM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

i've done this - luckily it was at the bottom of my road and i even ponced a lift to my house from a mate who was driving by
Old 27 September 2002, 07:23 PM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

Could have been worse,

Scooby-babe has just got off the train to find her pride and joy with smashed door glass and windscreen.Sterio,10 stack CD player and rear parcel shelf knicked.
Why smash the screen?

Oh and the glove box removed with a hammer.

All sympathy gratefully recieved

Later Yoza(off to get pissed to numb the pain!!)
Old 27 September 2002, 08:54 PM
bashful
Scooby Regular

FWIW:

My worst out of petrol scenario: driving a long-wheelbase Landrover with a faulty fuel pump (as it turned out) in heavy traffic through town.

It got to T-junction, coughed and stopped, blocking the road. To the amusement of the passing drivers, I got out and pushed the thing (I'm not big, but I am determined), steering the thing down the quiet leg of the T as I go. No power steering, even when he engine's running!

What I'd forgotten was that the road I'd turned into was a slight downslope...

Seeing the vehicle picking up speed, and aiming perfectly at a row of parked cars, I caught the beast up, jumped into the driver's seat and laid on the (non-engine-assisted) brakes, hauling the steering away from the cars, which I missed by a couple of lengths.

The rest, as they say, was easy.
Old 28 September 2002, 01:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Towing a caravan to France with a ZX one year, I arrived at Dover about midnight, glanced at the fuel gauge, and, seeing it was above a quarter of a tank, decided to fill up with (much cheaper) diesel on the other side.
Bad mistake!
As we were driving off the ferry, I was more than a little dismayed to see the "low fuel" warning light come on. The fuel gauge was reading empty!
I was even more p*ssed off when I spotted the sign on the A26 "next fuel 70km".
I nursed it, coasting down hills etc, and failed by 2km!
Oh well, you live and learn..
Walking along the hard shoulder of a deserted French motorway as the sky began to show the false dawn was an "interesting" experience!
Alcazar
Old 28 September 2002, 02:56 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Returning from London (to Newcastle) in rented Transit van - deal with the Van was to return it with a little fuel as possible. About 20 miles short of Newcastle we pass a Petrol Station - I'm driving and advise my two pals that we should get a fiver's worth - they reckon we can make it !

10 miles short of Newcastle I'm proved right - the two pals head off up the motorway into the night to get the petrol. I've been guarding the Van for about 30 minutes and I decide to save my mates the long walk back if I can get more out of the van - try the engine - it starts and I drive upto the next exit to wait for pals. Unfortunately my pals had left the Motorway via a bridge and not an exit - had popped into a local pub and got a lift to a petrol station - returned to the bridge back to motorway and started to head down the road to find me. They were picked up by the police walking down the hard shoulder with a can of petrol looking for a transit van that wasn't there .

In the meantime I had seen a petrol station from the off exit and decided they must be there - Van started again and I set off - get about 200 yards off the motorway and the Van stops for good !

The Police car that has picked my pals up heads off up the A1 into Newcastle looking for a Van that has dissappeared

Meantime I flag down a passing motorist who gives me a lift to the petrol station to get some petrol - now I need to find my pals - the guy that gave me a lift calls into his HQ (Security Guard) and they call the Police who eventually re-unite us

Lesson = If you break down stay where you are !!!
Old 28 September 2002, 03:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

jasey - ah the power of mobile phones!
Old 28 September 2002, 03:21 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Oh Yes forgot to mention - between the three of us we had two mobile phones - guess who didn't have one - it had been a very long and boring day (and I'm stupid)
Old 28 September 2002, 03:30 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My boss told me his worst out-of-juice experience.

His Triumph Daytona pegged out on him on the M1, so he started to walk the 5 miles to the next services, hitch hiking as he went. After about 2 miles (half an hour ), he got picked up and a guy took him to the services.

When he got to the services, they didn't have any petrol cans so he spent another 15 mins trying to scrounge one off of people filling up. No one had one, but someone gave him a plastic bottle , which he filled up. Then he made his way over to the other side of the motorway (via the connecting bridge) to get a lift back to where his bike was. Soon he was deposited on the hard shoulder opposite his bike.

His plan was to nip across the motorway at a quiet moment. No chance. After thinking about it a few times, he decided that it was not a good day to die, so he started to tramp on down the motorway to the next junction to cross the motorway. This time no one picked him up and he had to walk 3 miles down the motorway to a bridge, then 3 miles back up to his bike, all this in full leathers and thin-soled bike boots.
Old 28 September 2002, 06:11 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Ran out right at a petrol pump once....pitty the nozzle didn't reach. Bit embarrasing pushing it a whole 2ft!!
Old 28 September 2002, 10:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Bee. You b@st@rd Bee. Now I've got to clean Bacardi and Grapefruit juice out of the keyboard:
Old 28 September 2002, 10:59 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Reading the Landrover stranded post above reminded me..

If you run out of petrol and are in a bad position on the road then put it in first and turn the key and you will kangaroo forward (or backwards if you use reverse) not best practice for the starter motor but better that than getting hit by a car/train etc..

Never run out of fuel in 12years of driving.. touch wood..

JGM
Old 29 September 2002, 11:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I find that it's easier to carry a jar of honey instead of a petrol can.
Then if you run out, you can use the honey to attract bees, and fill up with Bee Pee!!!
Sorry.
Old 29 September 2002, 06:11 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

that was bad!