Cougar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just say that were all GREAT???
Old 24 November 2002, 06:52 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Like your style "COUGAR", but, sadly if only that were true.

Witness - dont want to be part of Europe, dont want the Euro etc etc ... after all we're British!!! .... and to prove it, now I'm off to the Travel agents in my BMVW-MERC-AUDI-PORKA to book a Continental Holiday. Proof enough I'm a true Brit so there ....

"unclebuck" - I think you'll probably get your wish there and WINNIE will get the vote. However, in my opinion it should be no contest .... IKB rules ..... A truly Great Brit (and one of the few occasions when I'm in complete agreement with a certain motoring TV presenter, one Jeremy Clarkson who hosted the hour long presentation about this Great Man himself - win or lose, if they repeat this hour long programme, do find time to watch it - INSPIRATIONAL stuff!): What a GREAT Brit; What a GREAT man; What a GREAT name;

ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL .....
Old 24 November 2002, 06:57 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brunel is great but Churchill's leadership in the 2nd world war helped us to defeat the worse enemy we've EVER fought.so my vote goes to Churchill a truely great Brit.

btw mgjohn did you go to Brunel uni by any chance
Old 24 November 2002, 07:58 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MGJohn - agree, IKB rocks. I lived in Clifton, Bristol for a number of years and never tired of cycling over the bridge there, not to mention things like the Box Tunnel, railway between Bristol and Bath, South Devon railway, SS Great Britain, Tamar Bridge, etc. The list just goes on. As Clarkson said - Great Briton - he built it !!

However, Churchill saved Europe, Africa and beyond from **** tyranny single-handed as a leader. As some say, if not for him we would all be speaking German now - if we wern't exterminated in death camps. And we would not have the freedom to make these posts. If not for him the world today would be a *vey* different place. He defeated the 'anti-christ', that's why he should win.

BTW - what did Diana Spencer do again ?? hmmm....
Old 24 November 2002, 09:04 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

c'mon, the "fat bloke that killed loads of kurds"
Old 24 November 2002, 09:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

IKB for me
Old 24 November 2002, 09:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

just thought, what the 'compassion' catagory for? Surely it was put in there specifically for 'that slapper'
Old 24 November 2002, 09:47 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

How nice that the telephone line is engaged, The internet voting has been taken down and the only other 2 methods of voting are only available to digital subscribers.

Still I'll be happy if either Newton or Brunel win.
Old 24 November 2002, 09:51 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

yea - now if you want to vote you must pay [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

cynical BeeB or what?

Still, good debate
Old 24 November 2002, 10:00 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

Until tonights debate I was solidly behind Brunel, now I'm tending towards Newton.

Not sure what the point of letting people vote as many times as they want is though, especially when the only way to do so is chargable. Certainly does sound cynical.

[Edited by Maddriver - 11/24/2002 10:01:09 PM]
Old 24 November 2002, 10:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Newtonian physics, pretty important but... like the theory of evolution - it was there to be discovered. Brunel *created* things. IMO of course
Old 24 November 2002, 10:59 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Thought carefully about this, and despite the top 10, the "unknown soldier" should have the no.1 slot.

These men and women, usually forced into war without choice, gave their lives for no glory, only with the hope that their expense would preserve the freedom of their kinsfolk.

They put us where we are now.
Old 24 November 2002, 11:05 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Angry

Looks like that useless oath Churchill will win![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Don't people realise that he didn't actually do anything, he just delivered speaches to the public, that someone else had written for him!
As for the rest of the voting, Brunel should be first and then Newton! The only ones that done something that no-one else could, and changed the world for everyone, for ever! (and Darwin, but we'd have found that stuff out anyway i spose)

The rest of the votes just show that we are now a nation of homosexual performers and pen pushers, thats why this country is sh1te now, not enough engineers and people that actually do something useful!

I'm leaving
Old 24 November 2002, 11:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Smile

true, good point.
Old 24 November 2002, 11:22 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Off topic...

Uncle B - got your tickets for Top Gear on 11/12 yet? I haven't
Old 25 November 2002, 08:18 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I switched off after 10 minutes.

There were so many sanctimonious gits on that program it was unreal.

PSlewis mode on

Brunel. I could see the point about he only built things, but no doubt his contribution was significant. Shame he was a slave driver

Diana. They carped on about her compassion, never mind that she was a manipulative adulteress.

Churchill, sure he led the country in WW2. But then other leaders have also led the country when it was in similar danger. Elizabeth 1st, Nelson etc etc.

All that stuff about Darwin showing us the way Darwin's ideas showed Hitler the way for sure, and Darwin did'nt even think of evolution. He got his ideas from the greeks, and a few others on the same track. Darwinian Evolution has now been discredited in pretty much every scientific circle. Darwin was such a sad git, he married his cousin, the only woman that would have him.

Cromwell. W@nker

Shakespere. Nobody understand him, and nobody cares except crusty old english professors.

John Lennon. Drugged up hippy.

Elizabeth 1st. The Virgin Queen. She did some cool things, and set the foundations for the future British Empire. However, her proposensity for executions marks her down.

Nelson. England Expects it's heros to be honest, upright and couragous. Not Scheming and unfaithful.

Newton. He did'nt invent physics, just formalised some ideas that were going around at the time.

PSlewis mode off

The real tragedy is that this once great nation of ours is becomming full of whingers, scroungers, self import busybodies and layabouts.

I'm proud to say I love this County, I love it's humour, it's countryside, it's quaint traditions and after watching this program I felt angry and sad that this Sceptred Isle of ours is rapidly becoming this sceptic isle.

Not because of the governements, but because the ordinary man and woman in street has lost the lion heart, the stiff upper lip, the drive and the pride to make something of their own lives and therefore of this nation.

So who was the greatest Briton of all time? The answer is noone and everyone. Everyone who has worked,sweated and died over the last 4000 years to make this country one of the greatest in the world.
Old 25 November 2002, 09:51 AM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Red face

Stick a hat and cigar on Mo Mowlam and you have Churchill with lipstick
Old 25 November 2002, 10:03 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Apparently satellites completely obey newtonian physics! Quite how a physicist can claim that is beyond me; use newtonian physics and you won't get the accuracy needed for satellite comms, apparently.

Didn't care who won really, just as long as Diana didn't.

Would have liked Brunel to win, but I personally swung to Churchill. OK, he was absolutely ruthless but at least he had the strength of character to win through.

It's a sad reflection that Churchill got under half a million votes. How many votes does one edition of Fame Academy, or Pop Idol, or whatever, draw in?

Old 25 November 2002, 10:18 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

1 Churchill 27.9%
2 Brunel 24.1%
3 Diana 14.2%
4 Darwin 6.9%
5 Shakespeare 6.9%
6 Newton 5.2%
7 Elizabeth I 4.5%
8 Lennon 4.3%
9 Nelson 3.1%
10 Cromwell 2.9%

Well she was leading for a bit and then came third! lol!

I would have like Brunel to win but Churchill was okay by me as well.

Nice to see that two people that actually did something for this Nation and the world actually beat the media manipulator!
Old 25 November 2002, 10:22 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Erm ... Neil,

I did notice the <pslewis> tag, so I'm not sure if you meant the blurb about Darwin ?

If so, might I suggest reading up about about the man, and evolution theory in general ? Next thing you're gonna say is that "survival of the fittest" is a quote from his work.

Maybe I misunderstood ?

Old 25 November 2002, 11:20 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

"Don't people realise that he didn't actually do anything, he just delivered speaches to the public, that someone else had written for him!"

wrong. churchill wrote his own speeches.
Old 25 November 2002, 11:32 AM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

But we've voted a POLITICIAN the greatest ever Briton!

Personally, I'd have gone for Newton, but actually voted Brunel just to make sure Spencer didn't win.

Ratman

[Edited by Ratman - 11/25/2002 11:33:41 AM]
Old 25 November 2002, 11:38 AM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Question

"Didn't actually do anything"

Apart from:

Playing a large part in persuading Roosevelt to enter the war
Keeping morale up by permanently visiting the frontline, as well as areas in Britain that had been bombed
Masterminding numerous military victories
Refusing to let Britain give in / negotiate with **** Germany when we were demoralised and looking like losing the war, and the rest of Europe had pretty much caved in.

It's subjective sure, but IMO we would have lost the war without Churchill's leadership, and then where would we be???

Old 25 November 2002, 11:57 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

hear hear merkin
its not just Great Britain which owes a huge debt to Churchill
Its the whole of the western world (including Germany).
He was the only politician in England who could see what was coming and pressed constantly in parlaiment for more spending on the Military.
No he wasnt a saint But if he had been he wouldnt have been able do what was required of him.
Old 25 November 2002, 11:58 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

it's not subjective at all. neville chamberlain wanted a negotiated peace with germany, as did lord halifax. he saved our bacon without question.

and it's not just us: the entire world owes churchill a debt for stopping hitler in his tracks at the channel; forcing him into a fatally premature attack on the USSR on the back of a cancelled invasion of britain and providing sufficient breathing space for the allies to marshall their forces.
Old 25 November 2002, 12:08 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

He was also prepared to make massive sacrifices to ensure that the allied forces kept an advantage.

He could have stopped the bombing of Coventry but then the Germans might have suspected that the Engima machine and it's code had been broken (with no thanks to the Americans (U-751 - yes I am still bitter)).

Again he and Brunel changed the world for everyone, the percentage of votes does deserve to be that close.

Also it might have been due to the verious campaigns to ensure someone else didn't win!
Old 25 November 2002, 12:28 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Was I the only one freaked out by the Churchill and Diana wax models on the show. I flicked over for the last five minutes and saw them standing behind their representatives. Spooky.
Old 25 November 2002, 12:35 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

I couldn't figure out which was Churchill and which was Mo Molem