Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2002, 10:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I would like to thank the squaddies standing waiting to save lives on behalf of the no-good firemen.

They are finding it soooooooooooooooooo boring that it is sending them round the twist!!

They say that they can cope quite easily with the limited equipment they have!! I would like to see the tossy firefighters out in Iraq equipt with only an air rifle!!

So? Firefighters, EXACTLY what is it you do thats worth a 40% pay rise?? The army havent found it yet - all they have found is hours on end doing NOTHING!!

The truth is out - my thanks go to the army - my hopes for a **** Xmas goes to the firmen!!

Pete
Old 24 November 2002, 11:04 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Bit strong isnt it.....[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Have you had a few sherries after Sunday dinner?

Now you must be the last resident up so,off to bed and stop picking on the firemen,they dont want to be on strike you know!

And listen.......if you keep smelling that scalextric smell after your engine wash,you may be able to thank the squaddies personally

Later Yoza
Old 24 November 2002, 11:05 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

pslewis: I've been watching your posts for the last few days.
I'm puzzled, why do you have such a hatred for the firemen?
You seem to have taken this on as some sort of personal crusade.
Are you jealous of them or something?
I think you owe it to your fellow Scoobynetters to spill the beans.

Personally I see this as a public sector strike, the firemen are just puppets for the rest of them (police, nurses & doctors, the squaddies etc etc).
I think they all deserve more money, but of course the government sees it fit to spend our taxes on more important things, like giving MPs 40% pay rises, funding cheap steel from abroad, paying for crazy projects like the Millenium Dome etc etc.

If the government had any sense they would have addressed the firemen pay rise issue before it hit the press, now everyone is watching the pay rise to see what they can ask for and the government is completely cornered.
Can't they find anyone better in the Labour party to deal with this than Prescott? FFS, the guy is a thug, and a badly educated one at that.
This one is likely to run and run, and it's likely to get very very messy indeed.

Old 24 November 2002, 11:07 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I think it depends on the stations / areas they're watching over.

I know the lads in Leeds are having it pretty rough at the moment. Maybe not be the same in Sleepsville?
Old 24 November 2002, 11:09 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Mr Lewis, i'm behind you 100% on this one!
Old 24 November 2002, 11:12 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Mr Lewis seems to be very bitter,is there any particular reason ? ,BTW well in Yoza ,totally agree.
Old 24 November 2002, 11:32 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Mr Lewis, well said.

The firemen should just either get on with the job they have or go get a better one like the rest of us have to do. They have no right to try and hold the country to ransom. I hope they sack the lot of them and give the jobs to the thousands of willing applicants that would be more than happy with the wage offers that have been made.

I've been working hard to keep a decent wage and it has involved changing job several times and moving my family 200miles from "home". I'm not moaning about my situation, i'm just doing what has to be done. The firemen should do the same. Like you said... supply and demand. There isn't enough of a demand for firemen to warrant 30k a year. Just like there isn't the demand for IT people to warrant me making 30k a year either.

I want to earn more money too so i'm looking to retrain and change job... If the firemen aren't happy then they should do the same.

As for the goverment giving themselves 40%... they should be sacked too
Old 25 November 2002, 12:16 AM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

well ive got to have my little say here im a soilder and ive just got back from a 6 month tour in afganistan 5 weeks ago i now go into work this week to cover the strike up untill christmas eve if they dont sort this mess out and then no doubt ill be of to fight sadam after the new year so all in all im not happy with the fire men.all the services ie forces police fire men etc ect shouldent be allowed to strike coz were here to look after you guys thats what you pay your tax for at the end of the day so i think its an outrage there doing this there pay is fine put it this way its lots more than mine and i work lots harder and spend more time than they ever will away from my loved ones i get 17000 a year they get round the 20000 a year you work it out if they should be on strike now ya know that.also im not a new boy in the army i joined at 16 and im now 25 ive built up to that pay lol all the best anyways
steve
Old 25 November 2002, 12:27 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

too right, big well done to the people who can actually be arsed to do the job, the army.

Tossers standing outside our local firestation were tryin to get people to beep. They were doin most of the beeping themselves in a van.

I gave them a BIG thumbs down!!

Some1 on here said a great line: "if you want more money get another job, if you want to save lives get back to work!!!"

Andy
Old 25 November 2002, 12:55 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
40% is an unrealistic figure for anyone. I dont think they actually expect that at all, i think they want the 16% without strings attached. 40% is just their headline grabbing, lets start high so we can at least look like we gave some concesions bollox.

I work in IT, the last 2 years i recieved 2% pay rises because IT and the software sector i work in is on it's ****. We are heading for recesion fast and these muppets cant see the job losses and low raises most people are recieving.

I earn more than a fireman, even with my 2 years of 2%, but that was backed up by 18 months on bugger all to retrain after the electronics industry went on its ****, i then started on 10K a year in my current company 8 years ago and worked my *** off to raise myself to a decent salary.

These guys have a job for life, early retirement, good pensions, good holidays, interesting job if in an active station, easy job if they are in a quiet station. Most people right now are working harder than they ever have for in relative terms less money with the threat of unemployment round the next corner. Yet these comedians want 40% payrises, and to get that they are prepared to put me and my loved ones at risk.

Bad timing doesnt even come close, the soldiers should be training to save their lives when they go to war, not sitting on their asses covering for a bunch of lazy, self important, 40 people want your job, firemen.

yes the fireservice does a good job for us, but they are not heroes, they put themselves in no where near as much danger as my friends who are paramedics, or my sisters who are senior nurses dealing with the really dangerous people out there with absolutely no rest and in the case of the paramedics, less pay that the lazy arsed firemen get already.

The army so far are doing a terrific job, it's a disgrace they will probably be the same guys who suffer long term when they get killed because they havent trained properly when they go to war, which is a distinct posibility.
Old 25 November 2002, 01:39 AM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

The guy is clearly a troll and is on the wind up.

Old 25 November 2002, 01:41 AM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

Wink

all i can say bravo is its a good job guys like me dont act like the fire service but hey i am happy to risk my life for my 17000 a year and as for not givein a fuc* you might change your mind if ya house sets on fire and our green godess is rolling up the road at 30mph with us lot on it lol and you wouldent give a fuc* as your not the one who should be training for a war that were gona get sent to as you will be siting in a comfy office and going home to the wife but hey some people might learn there lesson when our lads come home in body bags cause were messin around with all this **** instead of getin ready for what were supose to do and another thing that is a discrace remember some of the lads who are away from home have just got back from 6 months in afganistan and should be useing this time with there loved ones
Old 25 November 2002, 09:01 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Total respect to all squaddies, they do a great job for very little reward

SACK THE STRIKERS.
Old 25 November 2002, 09:35 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Everyones entitled to their opinions and I am NOT going to flame anyone on this, BUT:-

To say things like, "They go into a flaming building to pull out dead children - so deserve more" is just putting emotion before sense. 40 other people would love to do that for £21k!!

If that argument holds true then those who go into battle and get shot at deserve £1million, surely?

Pete
Old 25 November 2002, 09:38 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

2% pay rise John!! I Work for HP and have not had a payrise in 18 months, what do you thing HP would do if I decided to go on strike??? I reckon my P45 would be in tomorrows internal mail.
Old 25 November 2002, 09:39 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

pslewis: Don't you think that the '40 people would love to do that' statement is a bit on the optimistic side?

After all, I'm sure there are plenty of people would like to do your job for your pay, but how many would be able/capable/qualified etc.
I know it's not the trickiest task to train a fireman, but it's pointless if those 40 people are a mixture of dwarfs, arsonists, non-residents who cannot take a UK job etc etc.

Old 25 November 2002, 10:32 AM
GirlyTrailerTrash
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ps Lewis, Im afraid what you say here is an utter greedy selfish **** stirring pile of ****.

Bravo 2 Zero, and a few others I am sure...I agree with you

[Edited by GirlyTrailerTrash - 11/25/2002 10:33:51 AM]

[Edited by GirlyTrailerTrash - 11/25/2002 11:15:54 AM]
Old 25 November 2002, 10:52 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

watch the slime ball have a fit now
That really necessary, GTT? Everyone's entitled to their own opinion whether it be the same or different to yours...

The argument about how they have to face the appalling tasks of pulling bodies out of a charred building is just part of the job. It really annoys me these days how people go about their daily job and suddenly need counselling because they saw an offensive crisp wrapper, or something was "not nice" to look at... For goodness' sakes...it's political correctness gone mad...

Yes, it cannot be pleasant dealing with dead bodies, be they man, woman, child or even pet, but if they can't deal with it, get a different job, where they don't have to look.

It's like numpties who sit and watch an hour's worth of programme on TV and then write up complaining that it was offensive. Have these people not found the remote control / off button? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 25 November 2002, 11:03 AM
GirlyTrailerTrash
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I dont think its necessary for him to spout his uneducated crap either Im afraid.

So its ok for him to write Hope The firemen have a **** Christmas FFS! His job doesnt warrant much brain power. I probably have more qualifications but so fekin what! Hey why not pay em £5 an hour and have done with it. I think mast people are overpaid, myself included!

Anyway, I have been on this board for nearly 2 years now, dont worry, I normally avoid reading stuff I think seems a pile of crap.

Im just a bit disappointed that you picked on me as a woman to have a go at. Not nice for women to disagree with men is it? Ok for the men to say what they like! Its ok, dont want to fall out over this tho eh
Old 25 November 2002, 11:07 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

The whole "but they have to pull dead bodies from cars/houses" arguement is a load of cr@p. It's part of the job FFS!!!!

A friend of mine worked in a hospital where he had to get the bodies ready for autopsy and dispose of the unwanted corpses. He had to remove brains, crack open rib cages, pull out intestines, chop off limbs etc. He was on about 6 quid an hour to do a job most folk couldn't stomach... except he had to do it for 39 hours a week. He did it because it was his job.

What about nurses working in casualty... they have to deal with the gorey stuff everyday... except with them the 'victims' they deal with are still screaming!!! They do it because it's their job.
Old 25 November 2002, 11:09 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

a-bluh???

For reference and you being on this board for 2 years I would have thought that you would know by now, but I am also female.

I merely pointed out that calling anyone a "slime ball" because you don't agree with the way that Pete was posting or what he said, is a bit harsh.

Pete does come across a bit strong () at times but he hasn't resorted to personal insults as yet.

You are more than entitled to your own opinion. Also
Its ok, dont want to fall out over this tho eh
- we're not in play-school anymore. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I won't be your friend...

Old 25 November 2002, 11:11 AM
GirlyTrailerTrash
Scooby Regular

Exactly marty, they deserve the money because they deserve the money, just like me n you and eh

Dont need this sentimental crap that the papers spout do we. Nice one
Old 25 November 2002, 11:13 AM
GirlyTrailerTrash
Scooby Regular

Talking

My point Mice exactly Mice, women especially hate to see women have a go at men Im afraid
Old 25 November 2002, 11:15 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Previous comment still stands....a-bluh??

Have a go at whom you wish, it bothers me not one iota..it was the personal insults to which I was voicing objection...

Anyway...back to the strikes....
Old 25 November 2002, 11:17 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Mice_Elf: If I was a fireman (which I am not!!) I would take a lot of Pete's comments very personally.
Old 25 November 2002, 11:18 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

steve g you and your mates have my respect.Well done man you are a rock and a brave one at that.
As for the firefighters
questions
1. why did their union let them slip behind?(there top man earns 8ok a year ).
2.why are they so reluctant to modernise ...i smell shonky practises and easy life.
3.remember there are 70 people chasing every firefighter vacancy so the salary doesnt put them off wanting the dangerous job...according to the papers.
The whole things been misshandled by employers and goverment and now its all newspaper talk and vitriole and the only people to loose out long term will be the firefighters.Very sad.

Old 25 November 2002, 11:18 AM
GirlyTrailerTrash
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ok personal insults have been removed!
Old 25 November 2002, 11:22 AM
GirlyTrailerTrash
Scooby Regular

Cool

My point sheepsplitter, its ok for him to hide and OVERGENERALISE, and generally insult who HE wants, but its not ok for me

I'll just get down to my knitting....any boys on here want a cuppa tea fetching fawn fawn

Im such a good little girl
Old 25 November 2002, 11:23 AM
Atom290
Scooby Regular

It’s a fact the Fire-people are overpaid!

Look at the recent footage of the army on the news. They all agree that most of the time they are sat on their *****, Most of them are becoming quite proficient at pool.

I saw one placard claiming they are paid £6 per hour…How the hell did they come up with that? On a 37.5 hour week they would be paid over £10 per hour, I don’t think most of them do an active 37.5 hours. Most of them moon-light, and why not the job gives them so much scope to do so. Amazing isn’t it, we spend a fortune to train someone to fight fires and then they get a job as a window cleaner!

Look at the nurses; they work much harder than the firestaff, and non-stop. Yet they get paid less. The fact that the firestaff risk their lives to go into burning building is irrelevant, they sign up for it. You don’t hear the privates in the army now winging that they could loose their lives in the next war? They just get on with the job because it is what the signed up to do.

There are so many people wanting to get into the fire service, a friend didn’t write ‘N/A’ in one of the boxes on his application form and had it rejected. They are over-subscribed for every job they advertise.

My answer is sack them all and then recruit the ones that want to stay into the army. That way they cannot strike. It is ludicrous that they are able to put the lives of tax paying citizens at risk. Why should we suffer? The country needs to protect its own! France has done it, and for once I think we should follow their lead.

Quick Reply: Sign up here to say thanks to the Sqaddies!!