Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hypocracy

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2002, 01:15 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Now, leaving aside where we all stand in relation to the fireman's strike, what I want to know is how that smarmy **** Blair and obese thug Prescott can stand there and mouth off about 40%, when Blair himself upped his pay by the same percentage last year and gave his cabinet 18%. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

And as for Prescott's "we will not be beaten" line....

He's got a short memory for one who used to fly the union flags so high.......to%%er

MSP's voted themselves 13% [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The Scottish Parliament Building will cost over £400 million when alternative accomodation was available at a fraction of the cost.

And what do the majority of these "public servants" do?

Sweet F***all, aside from their own self promotion. Certainly no more that anyone else in an administrative role.

I think we all, particularly our politicians, need to take a deep, long, look at ourselves before jumping on any bandwagons....

D

Old 25 November 2002, 01:26 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nothing like leading by example.

MPs seem to get a payrise every year. I guess a lot of us are in the wrong job ...
Old 25 November 2002, 01:51 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

well said Diablo!!

shunty
Old 25 November 2002, 01:55 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Angry

And don't forget the extra income most get through outside 'work'.
The sad thing is most people will swallow this hypocrisy. Why didn't the press ask Blair what modernisation he & his fellow MP's agreed to undertake to get the 40%. I think I know the answer to that one.
Old 25 November 2002, 01:58 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Diablo - Short to the point and very nicely put!

Let us also not forget all the additional benefits that MPs can enjoy. For example: A tax free shop.

No wonder they don't think the cost of living in the country is outrageous!
Old 25 November 2002, 02:20 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Diablo - agreed, they're taking the p1ss too. Two wrongs don't make a right though.
Old 25 November 2002, 02:29 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

DrEvil - Of course there is leading by example!

Which of course means we can all now twist the truth, use the media to our own advantage, have free mortgages and free holidays!
Old 25 November 2002, 02:39 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

i agree, lionel blair gets far to much money for a bit of singing and dancing!!!

BB
Old 25 November 2002, 02:41 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

MATTeL - LOL what a great idea!
Old 25 November 2002, 03:09 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Fight the power - it's time for action!
Old 25 November 2002, 03:21 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

DrEvil - I thought you would appreciate the idea. Maybe it is time we became a political party!
Old 25 November 2002, 08:43 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thank **** for a little balance. Im getting sick of PSLewis personal crusade against our Firefighters. Me thinks that either:

a) He was turned down when he applied many years ago
b) His wife ran off with a fireman (Or turned lez and went with a firewoman )(Thats in the interest of being PC!)
or
c) Works for Labour.

Richard - 100% behind the FBU
Old 25 November 2002, 08:59 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Diablo

Point taken, and well put. But I did think recently, that our politicians are not paid well enough. Not the ones we have at the moment, but the ones we could have. Blair earns circ 60k does he not?

Our captains of industry are paid millions each year, and if we paid politicians as much we would attract a much higher calibre of person that that self centred tw@t Blair.

Interesting I think.

David
Old 25 November 2002, 11:07 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

A bit hypocritical (note correct spelling ) to give themselves large pay hikes. The hypocracy (note correct spelling ) is that MP's rises are not linked to modernisation are they? If they are then it may not be so hypocritical (note correct spelling ).

The other spelling you guys are after is hypocrite.

As a footnote, although MP's don't get pay that captains of industry gets, just look at all the extra cash they get for speeches, directorships etc. and after they finish being an MP then they've no problem getting a large pay job/place on a number of boards etc. Less senior MP's don't get these perks as much and may deserve a bit more, especially given the short shelf life for some.

Note that the spelling comments is not strictly related to this thread (it has been observed in many others) English pay rises for all scoobynetters! how about we all strike to get spelling/grammar lessons (linked to modernisation etc.)

[Edited by Dracoro - 11/25/2002 11:11:34 PM]
Old 25 November 2002, 11:11 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

According to this
http://www.parliament.uk/faq/pay_faq_page.cfm

Blair gets £171,554 Members of parliment get £55k

But check out the expenses & benifits they can claim:

I'm definately in the wrong job
Old 25 November 2002, 11:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

You lot couldnt raise a candle to Blair.

Whatever you think about him he EARNS his whatever, £200k?? I wouldnt do his job for that!!

Those on here that 'THINK' they could are not fit to walk in his shadow - nothing personal, its just how it is!! He is our boss because the MAJORITY of those who voted thought him the best man for the job!! How many on here would like to lose their job just because some bunch of to55ers didnt 'like' him??

Any anyone who DIDNT vote, well, what can I say? except SHUT UP!! You lost your right to complain when you walked away from the ballot box!! Good Men and Women died so you could spout the cr4p some do on here!!

Pete
Old 25 November 2002, 11:46 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I think Blair got voted in cos the majority thought he was a tw*t but a better tw*t than all the other *****[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

They're all useless tw*ts, I could run the country better, by myself!

C'mon, vote for me!

PS, I voted Liberal, not cos I like them but I'd like to see someone else f*ck the country up for a change
Old 26 November 2002, 07:16 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

"He is our boss because the MAJORITY of those who voted thought him the best man for the job!!"

Can you remind me who was actually allowed to vote for B.Liar? I don't recall being given the opportunity myself

imho, Tony seemed a reasonably decent chap when he first became leader, but now that the power has gone to his head (along with his goal of president of the USE) he no longer seems to give a toss about the wishes of the common man (er, person).

mb
Old 26 November 2002, 08:36 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yawn, Yawn.

MP's payrise was advocated by an independant review. It's not uncommon for the PM and other ministers to not take their anual payrise anyway.

So, the PM earns 200k+ a year? Any PM, not just Blair, is, IMHO WELL worth this and much more. Firefigthers bang on about thow they save lives etc etc, well the prime minister and the elected government are responsible for the lives of almost 60million people EVERY day. Worth a quid or three don;t you think?
Old 26 November 2002, 08:44 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Moose,

Yeah fair enough, the MPs do deserve a very good salary, afterall they have a huge responsibility. Unfortunately they seem to forget that the rest of us don't earn even close to that. This seems to cloud their judgement a bit when it comes to how much they are making us pay for things that they take for granted, Petrol, education etc.

If i was on (wishful thinking here) 100k a year then the few grand it cost to send my kid to Uni wouldn't be a problem. Neither would the extra few grand it would cost me in petrol. However, to us lesser mortals, these extra expenses are a major burden on our finances.
Old 26 November 2002, 08:51 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

No argument from me on that, just annoys me that people seem to think our Prime Minister shouldn't earn anymore than, for example, a barrister does.

Prime Minister or MP is a hugely responsible job, regardless of political persuasion.
Old 26 November 2002, 09:49 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Couple of points and a question or two for Pete:-

My original post was about politicians pay rises, not how much they get paid.

It was about how much money they waste....

Otherwise you could say why is a fireman not paid the same as a tube driver?

So, and this one is for Pete:-

You are clearly a supporter of Blair. I, for one, didn't vote for him either personally, or by the archaic system of voting we have in this country. I did, however, vote. Unfortunately, because of my location at the time, I was voting in a labour stronghold. My non labour vote counted for absolutely **** all.

So, Pete, please don't go banging on about " He is our boss because the MAJORITY of those who voted thought him the best man for the job!!" because that is, quite frankly, not quite correct. Aside from anything else, he may be PM, but he is not my boss....

Notwithstanding that, he, at the last election, came accross well and certainly outshone a lot of his competition. But then anyone with a little political knowledge will appreciate that you are not voting for the man, but his parties policies. If you think its all down to Blair, you are living in a bubble which is likely to burst. He is, at the end of the day, a figurehead, a spokesman, a representative who just happens to be better liked by his party/supporters than the next man. Unfortunately, many don't appreciate this - yourself included from what I can read. Did you vote "Labour" or "Tony"??

Cos they are one and the same.

I stand by my point, which, was made in relation to personal acts. I find his attitude to the wellbeing of the UK quite disturbing. He is on a glory hunt. It appears that his position has, quite literally, gone to his head. The man comes accross as barking mad on occasion.

Anyway, you have vigerously defended Blair quite openly. Perhaps you would like to educate us all, partricularly me, on just what is so bloody brilliant about him and his parties policies?

Cos I would love to know.

Old 26 November 2002, 09:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Although I support Pete on the Firefighters, I have to say that Diablo just about sums up my feelings for the Blairite camp. Cheers, Diablo, couldn't have put it better myself.
Alcazar
Old 26 November 2002, 01:31 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Prime Minister or MP is a hugely responsible job, regardless of political persuasion.
Don't necessarily agree.

PM may have huge responsibilities in so far as he takes all the flack when it goes wrong, but the position backed up by a massive support base. Its not as if he does it all on his own

As for MP's having huge responsibilites...don't make me laugh...

For themselves and their pocket perhaps. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

D

[Edited by Diablo - 11/26/2002 1:32:20 PM]
Old 26 November 2002, 03:59 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Don't necessarily agree.

PM may have huge responsibilities in so far as he takes all the flack when it goes wrong, but the position backed up by a massive support base. Its not as if he does it all on his own

As for MP's having huge responsibilites...don't make me laugh...

For themselves and their pocket perhaps.

I'm sorry, but IMO you are wrong.

Regasrdless of their political party, the government of this country is elected to do just that: govern the country. To suggest that this is not a resposnsible task is misguided to say the least.

MP's make decisions that affect everybody's lives - from our jobs, our taxes, everything else in our lives, even down to whether we as a country go to war. If that isn't responsibilty then what is?

Most MP's work on comittees and working parties that support the PM in the decisions that the government of the day makes. This work is, for the most part, behind the scenes and does not attract media coverage, but it is important and responsible nonetheless.

Obviously no PM could operate without a huge amount of backup from other workers, but the responsibility ultimately lies with the PM.

I kind of gather you don't entirely agree with Mr Blairs decisions, but you are letting this cloud your judgement on whether a government position is responsible, IMHO
Old 26 November 2002, 04:07 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

at least what they do at the moment is fine by me,

how about your goodself, what do you think he(or she) should earn?
Old 26 November 2002, 04:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Diablo - who would you 'like' to be running the country??

I cannot see many putting their name forward and IMHO, if they did, the MAJORITY would STILL vote Blair in - you can moan until the end of time it wont change ONE fact of life - he is the BEST we have and we should all support him. Especially when he makes a stand on our behalf!!!!

You CANNOT have the firemen winning 40% - FACT

You CANNOT have the Iraqi leader winning the arms race - FACT

You CANNOT even consider having the corrupt tories back in? - FACT

Pete
Old 26 November 2002, 04:48 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Pete - as you quite rightly know - those are not facts but opinions. No amount of clever banter and repartee can make an opinion a fact. (Thats "Fact" )

Deano
Old 26 November 2002, 04:54 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Exactly. I'm sure there are plenty of Iraqi's who'd suggest that you can have their country leading the arms race. And I'm sure that there are plenty of firemen who reckon that you can give them 40%.

Although I suspect even IDS might agree with you on the 3rd point.
Old 27 November 2002, 09:39 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Thats hardly a decisive argument is it Pete?

Oh, and I'd gladly do Blair's job for £170k or whatever a year

Quick Reply: Hypocracy