Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A Firemans Working day from fireservice.co.uk. Includes the Bain Report

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2002, 02:35 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out www.firesrvice.co.uk

This gives you the entire Bain report which basically says these guys working practices came about in 1947 with an Urgent message that the brigade needs to reform from top to bottom. It's very enlightening.

Under what they do it mentions that they are only supposed to deal with fires and anything else they basically do out of the goodness of their hearts.

AND THEN.... AND THEN.... there's what they do in a day shift and a night shift.... This was so amusing I had to copy and paste it in:

Sorry can't copy and paste as they belong to fireservice.co.uk

Suffice to say day shift runs 9am til 6pm. They get 2, 20 minute breaks and an hour for lunch and from 5pm til 6pm the time is their own, they can watch tv, read or whatever!!!

The night shift runs from 6pm til 9am. They work until 8.30pm then there is a huge gap until 6.45 am when they wake up and morning brew time!!!!

Sorry but FFS by 6.45 I've been up 1 1/2 hours and am almost into the office.

Any strands of sympathy I had left have been left in tatters by this and the Bain report which to me is just common sense.

1947.... I ask you, just as well the motor industry has reformed otherwise we'd still all be driving Morris Minors.

Dave

Then check out the day shift and
Old 25 November 2002, 02:46 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Okay try http://www.fireservice.co.uk

You can cut and past by the way!

Main function of the fire service:
Community Fire Safety - recognising that prevention is better than cure, Community Fire Safety covers a range of initiatives that are aimed at reducing the number of fires and the number of deaths and injuries caused by fire.

Legislative Fire Safety - a service that makes sure the people of Manchester are not put at risk from fires in the workplace and similar buildings. We make sure buildings comply with fire safety legislation and issue fire certificates when designated buildings are assessed as being fully compliant.

Fire and Rescue Emergency Response - a service that responds to incidents and makes sure that the risk of injury, loss of life and damage to property is minimised.

Special Services - a service that responds to other types of incident, for example, vehicle accidents, trapped people and animals, storms and floods. We charge for some of these services.

Emergency Planning - services that plan and prepare for large-scale emergencies, for example, large rail crashes, coastal pollution, severe floods.
Old 25 November 2002, 03:43 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

So, what do you suggest they do in the middle of the night then?
Old 25 November 2002, 04:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go home on call - so we dont have to pay them for sleeping

Pete
Old 25 November 2002, 04:10 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

2 coffee breaks of 20 minutes and an hours lunch break? Seems fair to me, after all they are working a 12 hour shift, and in any event isn't that a legal requirement these days under the Working Time Directive? Certainly civil servants are entitle to the same and they are only doing a 7hr 35 minute shift.

Incidentially when have you known a fire engine not urn up because they are on a coffee break or lunch shift.

Seems to me that what the rules say, and what actually happens are two entirely different things.

The simple fact is they were offered 16% and that offer was taken away, therefore they have my sympathy. I slo believe that a salary of £25,000pa here in the south east is reasonable bearing in mind the danger of their job.

We want the firefighters there when our belonging catch alight, or crash our cars we don't want to have to wait for them to be called in and then come to us, or too knackered as they have been out fighting fires somewhere else all night!

Unfortunately we have to pay for this priveldge, and accept that the unpredictability of their job means they might sit around all night or day, and have the time for a second job.

Chris
Old 25 November 2002, 04:12 PM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

What if they dont live within the 4min radius!!
Old 25 November 2002, 04:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Give the job to one of the OTHER 40 hopefuls who DO!!

Pete
Old 25 November 2002, 04:18 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Who says any of the other 40 hopefulls are actually up to the job?

Incidentally whn they say there are 40 applicants for every job do they mean on average? Surely its possible that in unemployment blackspots there could be 200 applicants for every post whilst in the south east there could be none!

Chris